PDA

View Full Version : Shaper VS Router set

Mike Hedges
12-08-2004, 1:38 PM
Can't decide which way to go ... Purchase a powerermatic 3hp shaper $ 2400.00 est. or put together a router package -bench dog table, profence , and powerlift and new porter cable router cost about 1,100 to 1,200. Just a hobby making furnitures and repairing antiques. What are your thought.

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 1:52 PM
Hobby? Router table for sure, IMHO. More versatile, especially with smaller cutters. Cutter cost is much lower, too. But I'd also build the table so it best meets "your" needs and then add the accessories you want, including the lift...after all, you are a woodworker!

larry merlau
12-08-2004, 2:02 PM
i have had both, and sold the shaper to a freind. the router table will more than suffice for most work and there are some on here that do major work with one. so look into the options and get the most for your buck. there was thread on here this week that addressed the table options. good luck

scott spencer
12-08-2004, 2:02 PM
What Jim said! Especially the part about the cost of the cutters. If you don't have industrial needs, a good router and table should do well for a fraction of the cost of the PM you mentioned. Now, if it's just a matter of "wanting" a shaper, who am I to talk you out of a contribution to our economy!

Dennis McDonaugh
12-08-2004, 2:04 PM
Unless you are using it all day long I don't see any point to a shaper table. There are advantages and drawbacks to both and I see the advantages of the router table outweigh the advantages of the shaper table (assuming you will only have one or the other). A variable speed router can swing large and small bits while the shaper speed is too slow to use small router bits efficiently. The shaper can run all day long, but seriously, how often are you going to run your router all day?

Steve Hooper
12-08-2004, 8:59 PM
Mike:

Allow me to go a bit against the grain.

After several years of fussing with my router table, fussing with the router (a good one), fussing with the fence (homebuilt), and on and on and on.
I opted for the 3hp Delta shaper.

Now I have a nice large FLAT steel table, a REAL 3hp motor, a good fence, and really nice height controls.

It runs all my router bits plus it runs the small number of shaper bits that I have so far.

The downside (other than initial cost): It's sensitive to a dull bit because it does run slower.
The normal feed is backwards for me. With a bit running in the normal direction I need to feed from the rear of the table first. This is OK, except that the controls are in an awkward position for me.
I may end up moving them.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

I am a retarded retiree and am in the shop all most every day.

Steve

John Renzetti
12-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi, I agree with Steve, once you start using a shaper on a regular basis you will really like it. I started using one abou six years ago when I got a Felder saw/shaper. Kept the router table just in case but it sat in the corner and I sold it a few years ago. Running a stand alone Felder shaper now. The cutters are more expensive but you can get insert cutterheads that accept multiple profiles which are relatively inexpensive.
I think a big factor with a shaper is getting used to all that steel spinning around. Put a 15lb shaper cutter in one hand and then a router bit in the other and it can be intimidating at first.
take care,
John

Mark J Bachler
12-09-2004, 1:31 PM
Yep what John R said.

MM T50N 4.8 HP, 1 Phase, 6.6 HP, 3 Phase 42" Stroke Sliding Table Tilting Arbor, -5 to +45 Degrees 4 Speeds (1680, 4200, 7200, 9600), Interchangeable1 1/4" Spindle Standard w/ 4" Under Nut Reversible 7" Max Cutter Diameter Net Weight 838 lbs. Add a Steff 2044 power feeder 1hp, 4-wheeler.

This baby cuts smoother than my forehead. Feel the wind in your face when you spin er full throtle. UUgh UUUgh (in my best Timm Allen voice).

Don Selke
12-09-2004, 2:14 PM
Hi Mike:
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this subject here. I have a small shaper in the shop that I use for raised panel door construction. I like the large 3HP motor and the flat cast iron table when constructing doors. The shaper cutters are more expensive but they have three cutters apposed to two cutters on the router table. I also have a router table that I use often for small moldings etc.
If you are going to make raised panel doors on a regular basis and are going to use the larger bits, a shaper is the way to go. For every day woodworking, the router table will be more versatile and as stated, the cutters are cheaper to purchase. I recently purchased a lock mitre bit for my shaper and I have to admit that this is the only bit that scared me to use due to the nature of the set up and cutting of long pieces. One is cut flat on the table and one is cut verticle against the fence. I finally constructed a jig for the bit and it works great.
In a nut shell, you have to ask yourself what you are going to do with the machine. Will it's use justify the cost and the space it will take up in ths shop. Shaper cutters are not cheap is you get the good ones. At present, I am building a new router table and if my lovely wife purchases me a new digital camera for Christmas, I will post some pictures.

John Weber
12-09-2004, 3:03 PM
Mark,

Holy Cow! Awesome machine, gotta love Steff feeders.

I made the switch to a shaper and haven't looked back. I feel there are lots of advantages over even the best router table setup. I say go for the shaper!

John