PDA

View Full Version : quartersawn white pine?

harry boyer
08-04-2010, 7:20 PM
I'm curious. Has anyone ever used quartersawn white pine? I was out shopping for cherry today. Found a woman run wood kiln business, Lu's . She directed me down the lane to an Amish sawmill. Very reasonable cherry in a couple weeks.

Then back home and 3 doors down the Amish guy had a sign up for his new mill. He only has pine right now but will cut it anyway I want. I'm thinking Maloof kinda chairs and benches. Was thinking I could practice with the pine. He'll cut it anyway I want. If I come up with a keeper I was thinking that quartered pine might be nice. Just looking for a little input.

Thanks

Andrew Gibson
08-04-2010, 9:00 PM
Hmmm never seen QS Pine. Ill be sticking around to see what others have to say.

george wilson
08-04-2010, 9:08 PM
No biggie. It comes randomly quartered since they just saw through the whole log. It will waste wood and cost you more if it is quartered. Not enough grain feature to be concerned about it.

Wes Grass
08-04-2010, 9:15 PM
I think more correctly referred to as 'vertical grain', because it's a softwood.

Steve Orbine
08-04-2010, 9:20 PM
I believe this is also called vertical grain pine. I've even heard it called comb grain pine by the real old timers. If you google vertical grain pine you can find some images.

harry boyer
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a try. I was thinking the qtsawn/vertical grain would give a more modern look to the wood. I've seen the vertical grain in some sections of Borg 2X lumber. It's no a gloat yet but here in N.W. Pa. the wood at the source is really nicely priced. Not many Amish neighbors in the city. He wants $.45 per board ft. for the pine flat sawn . I'll squeeze him a little on the quartered wood. ( I'm kidding) He has 30,000 board ft. of pine and no customers yet. I'll help him flip the boards or something. We looked at a log 28 inches across. This guy puts them on the mill by himself with a log hook.

I can only encourage everyone to get out in the country and poke around for the smaller lumber mills. It's fun and you can go down some neat bumpy gravel roads. Talk about what they do! Shake hands and ask questions about them. If there's a mill there is a kiln somewhere close. #1 common cherry @ $.90 per ft. 8 quarter $1.20 Premium cherry $1.70 kiln dry @ $.35 Horizon lumber is only 20 miles from me. It's beautiful . I bought 2 pcs. of curly maple for $75 Sorry to editorialize I like the bumpy roads.

Later...

Neal Clayton
08-05-2010, 12:04 AM
it'll be good for anything rot resistant softwoods are good for, sure. white pine doesn't grow a hard heartwood like some of the yellow pines do with age, but it's still a good exterior wood. be good for deck chairs, storm doors, wooden windows, fencing, that sort of thing.

george wilson
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
A good exterior wood?????????? I think NOT. Better Google it. White pine is listed as only moderately rot resistant. Are you thinking about heart pine?

Prashun Patel
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Pine won't be good for Maloof style chairs or benches. They feature a lot of thin and curved parts that can be weak with softer woods. As a prototype, pine's fine, but then there's no reason to go QS with it.

Frank Drew
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I've made replacements for a fair amount of rotted out white pine exterior millwork (shutters, etc.), using redwood or other more resistant woods; it's fine for interior work, but not where it can trap water, IMO.

It machines well but it's extremely soft, at least any of the white pine I've used, so you've got to pick its application with that in mind.

Neal Clayton
08-05-2010, 1:45 PM
A good exterior wood?????????? I think NOT. Better Google it. White pine is listed as only moderately rot resistant. Are you thinking about heart pine?

people in the northeast US with centuries-old siding/fencing/windows/etc made from white pine would disagree...

harry boyer
08-05-2010, 7:14 PM
I recently bought a set of the King Authur tools 4in carving disks. The chain saw disks that go on an angle grinder. Rather than screwup my better wood , was thinking that the qt sawn pine or plain sawn would be good practice.I'm not looking to make a kit rocker etc. but I really like the joint that holds the chairs together. Charles Neil did a vidio of carving a chair seat also. I think David Marks does some guilding and retro painting on some of his pieces. There is also milk paint . Might get a little strippy with the hard and softer grain and some dye.

I do appreciate the input. Yep it's soft which is why I was thinking q sawn for stability an consistency. I've seen the interior trim go on the outside of new homes. I was a painting contractor for yrs. Paint the new house and go back in 2 yrs cause the trim rotted. Some builders should be chained up.

It's raining here this week but I'll post some pics next week of the log, cutting and finished wood. Simon the Amish guy has a phone but I don't know abt pics of him. We have 2 Amish families and a little Amish resturant within 1/4 of a mile from the house.

ps. It's a trip some of the younger Amish guys drop the buggy and get out in a 2 wheel cart. Sport driving....ahahhaha!
maybe just giving Bessie her evening work out, I haven't asked.

Thanks