PDA

View Full Version : Brazil = Yes, we have snow

Norberto Coutinho
08-04-2010, 6:38 PM
and banana too....:D
very low snow in the south, but we have it....
http://fotografia.folha.uol.com.br/galerias/559-neve-em-santa-catarina#foto-10598

Bruce Page
08-04-2010, 7:44 PM
Great pictures. How often do you get snow?

Norberto Coutinho
08-04-2010, 8:07 PM
Very rarely snows in Brazil. Only in the southern states of Brazil. For a few minutes. Newspapers say it was the worst blizzard in the last ten years. El Niño? Be prepared for a harsh winter in U.S.. Snow here in Brazil is cause for celebration. 99% of residents ( or a bit more ) have never seen snow.

Norberto Coutinho
08-04-2010, 8:26 PM
http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1312959-7823-NEVE+CAI+COM+FORCA+NO+SUL+DO+BRASIL,00.html

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Mom was right - - again.
Should 'a wore a coat.

Jason Roehl
08-05-2010, 8:11 AM
Yeah, I never saw snow the entire year I spent in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Of course, it never got below 70ºF (21ºC) while I was there. I did take a school trip to São Paulo, and it was about 40-45ºF for the 3 days I was there, so I just about froze to death, having only taken one sweatshirt.

Norberto Coutinho
02-04-2011, 6:40 PM
Very rarely snows in Brazil. Only in the southern states of Brazil. For a few minutes. Newspapers say it was the worst blizzard in the last ten years. El Niño? Be prepared for a harsh winter in U.S.. Snow here in Brazil is cause for celebration. 99% of residents ( or a bit more ) have never seen snow.

And also be prepared for USA next summer. Lots of rain here in Brazil this summer. I think everything that happens in the Southern Hemisphere will replicate in the Northern Hemisphere. El Nino or La Nina?

Bill Cunningham
02-05-2011, 3:45 PM
Look on the bright side! Can you imagine just how bad it would be this year if it were not for global warming :D

ray hampton
02-05-2011, 4:30 PM
I agree with Bill, the weather COULD be heap worst

stephen thomas
09-17-2024, 10:51 AM
Funny!

Last couple winters i have had women from Brazil who work here as au-pairs, for skiing students.
They are a lot of fun, and curious/inquisitive about whatever is going on around them. They are blowing a significant sum, i would think, for that occupation, to come out a few times/winter and learn to ski. The general response seems to be: "Yeah, the food is much better in Brazil, but you can only work all the time to barely stay even. Coming here, we get to save some money, take a little time off, & look around and try interesting things" Stuff like that always makes me feel humble.

Bill Dufour
09-18-2024, 11:43 AM
Last time we had snow here the local newspaper had a story. A family had saved a snowball in the freezer for about twenty years from the last time it snowed. They pulled it out to compare to a new one.
Of course we get deep snow up in the mountains within 75 miles. Last year they only got a little over 30 feet, 10 meters for any Brazilians reading this.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
09-18-2024, 2:39 PM
When I worked for Glidden paint, they had a corporate training center in Rocky River Ohio.
I was lucky enough to attend a few seminars there.
One, in the dead of winter, we had a fella from Puerto Rico in the class.

I was the only one of the group that had a car, so, after the seminar ended for the day, a few of us piled in my car and we drove up to one of the lakeside parks and let the guy run around and play in the snow. He had a ball! He had never seen snow in his life. :)

Alan Lightstone
09-20-2024, 8:55 AM
We get that question a bunch from snowbirds. "Does it ever snow in Tampa?" So lets put that to rest once and for all.

On January 19, 1977 it snowed 0.2" (0.5cm) in Tampa. So yes it snows in Tampa. At least once -- 47 years ago.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2024, 9:33 AM
When our youngest son brought his fiancé to meet us, they flew into Spokane. I brought a couple snowmobile suits with us when we picked them up. I told them we were taking them to a little out of way place for lunch, Schweitzer. Our Navy officer ,former ski instructor, son recognized it as the ski resort in Sandpoint, ID. When we arrived, we gave them the snowmobile suits and boots. The wife and I sat in a restaurant with an exterior glass wall eating lunch while we watched our son and his native Floridian play in the snow for the first time.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-20-2024, 6:39 PM
"Does it ever snow in Tampa?"

The only professional Hockey Game I ever got to see was in Tampa. The Lightning Vs the Canucks. Tampa won, it was weird. We happened to be sitting with a Canadian co worker, I told him I felt bad. He said "Don't worry the Lighting team has more Canadians , Czechoslovakians and Polish players than it does Americans or Floridians". (No Floridians on the team at all).

stephen thomas
09-20-2024, 11:13 PM
I spent the winter of 1975 framing midrise units in Tampa - St Pete area. (It still got too cold in MD winters for pounding nails back in those days). St Pete definitely had some days of below freezing nights - in a frame house with open crawl space and zero heating facility. We left the oven on all night with the door open & a small fan going....

I did go skating at the Bayfront center a few times - some of those ancient (to me at the time) guys and dolls could really skate. All dressed up too. Doing lifts and twirls & coordinated patterns in tandem and partners routines.