PDA

View Full Version : Counterbore with a Thru Hole

Brandon Weiss
08-04-2010, 3:13 PM
I'm looking for other methods. What are your preferred methods for drilling a counterbore with a thru-hole in the center of it? So far mostly I've been using Forstner Bits followed by a drill bit that I line up the best I can with the point in the center of the Forstner Bit hole.....

John Coloccia
08-04-2010, 3:15 PM
You can use a piloted counterbore.

Joe Kieve
08-04-2010, 3:27 PM
+1 for the piloted counterbore. If it doesn't have to be pretty, I'll sometimes use a spade bit.

Brandon Weiss
08-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Do you guys have any links to the ones you use?

Josiah Bartlett
08-04-2010, 3:48 PM
An X-Y vise on the drill press table helps a lot.. or even just clamping things down.

John Coloccia
08-04-2010, 4:04 PM
I don't remember where I bought mine. Through Fastenal, maybe? For my particular application, I needed a long pilot so I had to turn it myself on a metal lathe but I believe pilots in different sizes are generally available.

For anyone who is wondering, do you turn pens? Do you know that flush cutter bit that gets chucked in a drill...the one with the extended shaft that is designed to be guided into the pen tube ensuring a square face? If you show that to anyone but a pen turner they'll call it a piloted counterbore :)

Joe Scharle
08-04-2010, 6:24 PM
Here's an example of boring the center of a blank router sub-base to accept P-C template guides. Works for most other similar tasks.

Bore the smaller hole through the work. Flip the sub-base over and center a bit (same size Forstner only) in the hole. Clamp the work well. Chuck the larger sized bit (Forstner only) and counter bore to your desired depth. The Forstner bit will track on it's rim.

Rick Lizek
08-04-2010, 7:25 PM
http://www.morriswoodtool.com/Counterbores.htm
Been buying from them for over 35 years...

pat warner
08-04-2010, 9:57 PM
Lots of choices. This one (http://patwarner.com/images/drillref.jpg) with 3-wing carbide tool and interchangeable pilots.