PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice For The Ladies

Belinda Barfield
08-04-2010, 2:48 PM
Ladies, when the man in your life injures himself apparently you are supposed to act loving and concerned for his wellbeing, and not say the first snappy thing that comes to mind. I just learned this and thought I should share in case you didn't get the How to Live With a Man handbook. I would also like to point out that this was not something taught to me at Possum Patty's School of Charm and Etiquette for Tomboys.

For about three days I was subjected to the Beaver Cleaver technique of acquiring a new tool or machine, in this case a nail gun.

"Gee Wally, wouldn't it be neat if we had a nail gun."

"Gee Wally, I sure could get things done faster with a nail gun."

"Gee Wally, I've got to build a packing crate and it would be so much easier with a nail gun."

"Go get a darned nail gun!"

So he did. Came back to the office and proudly pointed out that right there on the box in big letters was the phrase "75% faster than a hammer". He walked out the door whistling a happy tune.

I declare, it was not 15 minutes before he came back, cradling his left hand in his right and looking oh so embarrassed as he tried to sneak past my desk to get to the bathroom sink.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing."

"You might as well go ahead and tell me because I'm the only one who knows where the band aids are hidden."

"I shot a nail through the side of my thumb."

And that's when I said . . . "Wow, did you do it 75% faster than you could have with a hammer?"

Apparently that is considered to be a cold and insensitive remark in some circles. :rolleyes:

Myk Rian
08-04-2010, 2:55 PM
Ladies, when the man in your life injures himself apparently you are supposed to act loving and concerned for his well being, and not say the first snappy thing that comes to mind.
Well, Duh!

Apparently that is considered to be a cold and insensitive remark in some circles. :rolleyes:
Well, Double Duh!
:D

Dan Hintz
08-04-2010, 3:03 PM
And that's when I said . . . "Wow, did you do it 75% faster than you could have with a hammer?"
Sure you don't have a single sister, Belinda? :D That would have been my reply, and it sounds like a sister from your tree would have kept on truckin' after I said it. The current LOML gives me sideways glances just for reminding her she once cooked a lasagna using green, fuzzy cheese.

Mitchell Andrus
08-04-2010, 3:17 PM
Now THAT'S FUNNY.

You could almost hear Alice Cramden saying this.

Mike Cruz
08-04-2010, 3:26 PM
Belinda, can I just call you Salt from now on. Seems you rubbed that one in (hysterically, I might add) intentionally and semi-undeservingly. Chances are the fault wasn't in getting a nail gun. The fault wasn't in getting the one on sale. It wasn't even even that he pestered you about it. It was, however, that he probably either hasn't used them often or didn't read the manual before using the nail gun (who of us men ever does read the manual, though...:rolleyes:). My guess is that he shot the nail into wood and that it curled back out and caught his thumb. (This is, of course, assuming this is a finishing/brad gun, not a construction type gun...if it was the latter, ooooooch....that must have really hurt and put a nice sized hole in his thumb! :eek:) For those of us that have used a finishing/brad nail gun, we know to keep the extra hand away from possible pokers, pop-ups, turtleheads...whatever you call them. And I have a feeling the manual warns about them.

Regardless, you are the saint of subtle, the queen of the obvious, and the salt in your hubby's wound. He HAD to get a kick out of your comment in the end...

Rod Sheridan
08-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Good reply Belinda, you're a woman after my own heart.

Years ago when I had young kids my oldest daughter came into the house crying, she had crashed her bicycle full tilt into the fence.

She had a couple of cuts and scrapes.

My first question was "How's the fence"?

As I was cleaning my daughters arm and applying a band aid, she commented that I was supposed to ask how she was, my "You heal, the fence I have to repair myself" comment wasn't as funny to her as it was to me.

Some people just have a hard time with reality.:D

Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
08-04-2010, 3:49 PM
It was, however, that he probably either hasn't used them often or didn't read the manual before using the nail gun (who of us men ever does read the manual, though...:rolleyes:). My guess is that he shot the nail into wood and that it curled back out and caught his thumb.

Regardless, you are the saint of subtle, the queen of the obvious, and the salt in your hubby's wound. He HAD to get a kick out of your comment in the end...

Mike, there is sort of a back story here. The man has used a nail gun a lot, he knows how and where to hold things. He was just in a hurry and was a little out of practice. When he got out of the remodeling business years ago he sold off almost all of his tools, and now wishes he hadn't, so I give him a little fun grief when he has to go buy something.

It wasn't a big nail and it went just by the fingernail so it really wasn't a big deal. You are correct regarding how it happend.

He laughed about my snappy comment I said it and it has sort of become a running joke between us.

I save the sympathy for when the screw gun slips and the bit goes into his finger instead of the screw. Those are usually pretty messy!

Dan Hintz
08-04-2010, 5:01 PM
Mike,

The manual (yes, I read it) does say to be careful about knots in the wood... hitting one can turn the nail around, just as it did here.

John Hart
08-04-2010, 5:10 PM
I shot a 2" finish nail right through the bone 2 months ago. I didn't complain or nuthin'. Just yanked that sucker out with a pair of vise grips and kept on nailin'.

grrrrr ooh ooh ooh :D

alex grams
08-04-2010, 5:17 PM
when i was younger working in a cabinet shop i was holding a piece for a guy to nail the ends together. One got kicked sideways and i heard the gun discharge, felt a slight tug on my shirt over my stomach, then heard a *clink* on the other side of the shop wall. I looked at my shirt and had two holes about 4 inches apart (left to right) from one another. The nail went in, under my shirt, between my shirt and my stomach, and then out the other side of my stomach. I would say the nail had about a 1/2" passageway to manage to do what it did.

glenn bradley
08-04-2010, 5:22 PM
I see nothing wrong with your reaction. What's wrong with us?

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 5:24 PM
I had a sliver last week....

but I don't want to talk about it.

John Hart
08-04-2010, 5:31 PM
I had a sliver last week....

but I don't want to talk about it.

And how far away was the sliver from you? :confused:

Neal Clayton
08-04-2010, 5:39 PM
I save the sympathy for when the screw gun slips and the bit goes into his finger instead of the screw. Those are usually pretty messy!

the scars on both of my thumbs agree.

there's never any women around my shop. the two other men in there can freely make fun of each other for such things, though, which is ok (unlike your case). the typical response is "first time to use one of those?" or "what did you do that for?"

BUT THAT'S SEXIST

yes, yes it is.

Belinda Barfield
08-04-2010, 5:39 PM
I shot a 2" finish nail right through the bone 2 months ago. I didn't complain or nuthin'. Just yanked that sucker out with a pair of vise grips and kept on nailin'.

grrrrr ooh ooh ooh :D

My SO never complains either. No matter what he just slaps a bandaid on it, or duct tape in the worst case scenario, and goes on. Me? I walked into the trailer hitch a couple of weeks ago and alternately cussed like a cheerleader and cried like a baby! When I get hurt I want everyone to share in the pain!

Roger Newby
08-04-2010, 6:57 PM
Do paper cuts count for anything? :rolleyes:

John Hart
08-04-2010, 7:15 PM
....and alternately cussed like a cheerleader....

I tend to cuss like a sailor. Maybe sailors and cheerleaders make a good match!! ;):)

Jerome Stanek
08-04-2010, 7:17 PM
There are times when I cut myself and don't even know it until I have to wipe the blood off the piece I am working on. At work one day I was cutting some acrylic and a chip hit my forehead I just kept on cutting until I went to get a drink. The boss saw all the blood and asked if I had to go to the emergency room and I said for what he gave me one of those funny looks and said your bleeding all over. I went in cand cleaned it off and there was a little scrape about the a 1/16 inch long

Belinda Barfield
08-04-2010, 8:32 PM
I tend to cuss like a sailor. Maybe sailors and cheerleaders make a good match!! ;):)

Maybe so.:)

This week I'm working with surgical scalpels and blades. If I cut myself I usually don't feel it. A cut doesn't start to bleed instantly and once I realize I'm cut sometimes I'm afraid to look to see how deep.

Pat Germain
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Riot! I especially liked the part where you wrote, "I declare".

Joe Chritz
08-05-2010, 1:10 AM
Ask him one of my favorite questions to as my "clients".

How did that work out for ya?

Been there, done that only mine was a bit more than a thumb and required some "assistance" in the form or an ER full of people laughing at me.

Note to self: When you hurt yourself stupidly go to an ER where everyone doesn't know you.

Joe

Belinda Barfield
08-05-2010, 7:33 AM
Note to self: When you hurt yourself stupidly go to an ER where everyone doesn't know you.

Joe

I can relate to this Joe. Years ago I worked at a large hospital and knew almost everyone in the ER. On the way to work one morning I got T-boned at a traffic light a block away from the hospital. I took out the driver's side window with my head and shoulder. When the EMTs got to me I was seeing double but I tried to tell them that I didn't want to be a bother and I would just walk to the ER. They teased me about that for years.

John Pratt
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Ask him one of my favorite questions to as my "clients".

How did that work out for ya?

Been there, done that only mine was a bit more than a thumb and required some "assistance" in the form or an ER full of people laughing at me.

Joe

I think you have to ask yourself another question. "Why are you in the ER enough that everyone knows you?" Small town, OK. Big City ER knows you and maybe you need to reevaluate your hobby of choice. I went to the ER 6 times in the span of one month (only once for myself) and I had to laugh when the ER Nurse called me by name when I walked in the door.

Belinda Barfield
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I think you have to ask yourself another question. "Why are you in the ER enough that everyone knows you?" Small town, OK. Big City ER knows you and maybe you need to reevaluate your hobby of choice. I went to the ER 6 times in the span of one month (only once for myself) and I had to laugh when the ER Nurse called me by name when I walked in the door.

Knowing everyone in the ER is a "hazard" of Joe's chosen profession.

John Pratt
08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I know, I was speaking in general terms. Sorry, sometimes it doesn't come across well in text.

Rob Cunningham
08-05-2010, 1:03 PM
That's a good one Belinda. I too can hear the Alice Kramden voice coming through.:)
Keep the super glue close by when working with the scalpels. It works well sealing up the cuts.

Jay Jolliffe
08-05-2010, 2:57 PM
Not to long ago I had my shop in the cellar. Which was a pain. I'd was working on something using the table saw. I shut it off went up stairs & told my wife I was going for a ride. By me saying that she knew where I was going. She drove to the hospital....She tells that story all the time....When I'm in my shop and all of a sudden I'm going for a ride, she knows where:o

Walter Plummer
08-05-2010, 7:57 PM
When I was working in carpentry i got shot through the ear lobe with a 12d framing nail. The shot came from all the way across the house, (lucky for me). I thought someone hit me with a hammer. The boss pulled it out for me and we finished the day riding the kid who shot me. I got home and told her looking for some sympathy. She said "You couldn`t leave it in long enough to get a picture?":rolleyes:

John Hart
08-05-2010, 8:20 PM
Well, this thread has been interesting and everything...but, ya know....there's still a glaring question that has not been answered Belinda...

Why does he call you "Wally"?:confused:

paul cottingham
08-05-2010, 9:08 PM
When my dad was still farming, all the ER nurses used to say was "what have you done now, Reg?"
My mom ran the kitchen in that hospital, but that wasn't why everyone knew him.....

Chris Walls
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
When I injure myself , I just say ( Gee I must be more careful ! ) That make everything better.

Chris

Belinda Barfield
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, this thread has been interesting and everything...but, ya know....there's still a glaring question that has not been answered Belinda...

Why does he call you "Wally"?:confused:

Well John, I could lie, but I won't. I just finished up a project here at work and I've been here since 6 this morning. I'm to tired to lie.

He doesn't know my name. I know this because he never calls me by name. He addresses me by the following in order of frequency:

Sweetness, Little One, Purty Girl, Baby Cakes (interchangeable with Baby Snakes), and Strut. Never Wally though. I know that these are heart felt terms of endearment because the first three are also nicknames he calls the cat that lets us live in her house. His philosophy is if you never call a woman by name you will never call her the wrong name. He has a point.

John Hart
08-06-2010, 7:24 AM
I knew a guy who refused to call his wife by name. I don't know why. But if he wanted to address her, he would simply get her attention and speak. Maybe it's a quirk of time...dunno. He must have called her something at some point.

Wally would be good though. That could catch on!! ;)

Jason Roehl
08-06-2010, 7:58 AM
Hmmm, now that you mention it, that must be an innate self-preservation ability.