PDA

View Full Version : Plane Frog Removal & Blade Questions

Kim Howarter
08-04-2010, 8:42 AM
I have taken apart an old Stanley 5C plane that I got from my grandfather and under the frog there is a black tar like material. I didn't find anything in the other Stanley 5 1/2 C plane that I took apart.

Is there a reason for this material under the frog?

Should I clean it all out or leave it alone?

Also, I found that across the blade, it is warped, but when I clamp it to the chip breaker, it goes back flat. I sharpened it with the chip breaker on it. Should I replace the blade? If so, what type of blade should I use?

Thanks,

Kim

Prashun Patel
08-04-2010, 8:55 AM
Get a new blade. That's the single easiest thing you can do to improve performance of a plane.

A blade should not flex or require the chip breaker to bring it straight.

Is that tar substance sticky? It could just be oil and dirt and possibly dissolved paint. It shouldn't be there.

Gaz Palmer
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
If the tarry material is gloopy it's very probably oily dirt residue and easily cleaned away, before adding a little 3in1 oil to each bolt hole.

I'd replace your blade.

Kim Howarter
08-04-2010, 6:12 PM
This is a thick heavy material like tar that extends outside of the edges of the frog on the sides of the plane. I had to tap on the frog to remove it. It looks like it was used to hold the frog in place.

Any suggestions on what type of blade to buy for replacement?

Thanks,

Kim

Joel Goodman
08-04-2010, 7:06 PM
If you want an iron that will go into the plane with no modification you can get a Hock, Lie Nielsen ("Stanley replacement" ) or a Lee Valley. In my limited experience the Hock requires a little more flattening. If you don't mind filing the mouth (use an auger file) then Lie Nielsen make full 1/8th inch irons for their planes, and Tools for Working Wood has a Ray Iles carbon steel iron that is almost as thick. All of these are excellent. Do a search in this forum about A2 vs carbon steel. I would look at LN, LV, TWW, and Hock's websites. Craftsman Studios often has good deals on the Hock irons. And call any of these folks as they are really helpful. Enjoy!

Andrew Gibson
08-04-2010, 7:46 PM
I would be concerned that the tar was put there to solve a problem. possible damage to the frog or plane body. before I invested in a new iron I would clean off all the tar and make sure there is no damage.

As for a new Iron I just bought a Lee Valley A2 replacement Iron for my #7 and It is a very good iron. I also have a Hock Iron in my #3 as well as the replacement chip breaker. and both are very good as well. I would suggest either the LV or the Hock.

I have come across several old plane Irons that would be better suited to be Wash Boards. I find it best to replace them and try to find a way to repurpose them.