PDA

View Full Version : Mini Router table

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-04-2010, 3:09 AM
I have a large router table that I seem to always have dedicated to some project. I oftain wan to do some router work on a small piece and the big router is overkill (and scarrrrrrry)

I picked up a bosch colt router (My new favorite tool) and while its handy to just whip out and use I find that its still rough working on small pieces.

I need to create a bead on 1/2 x 1/2 x 12" piece of wood. I could not use the beast as it was tied up adjusted for a stile and rail set I was working on. I tried to free hand the colt on the piece and while I managed to get one finished. I had saw dust all over the place and just did not have the control I wanted.

I used my laser and cut out three pieces of 1/8" white board. I glued them togheter and mounted it on top of some 3/4" MDF.

I wanted dust collection so I built the fence which is connected to two slots on the top and has a small box that I plug my vac into.

It works great. The table is only 10" x 8" and sits 9" high. Im probably going to pick up a second base so I can go from table to free hand.

The next step is to cut a new top that has the top layer cutout so I can insert my PC bushings.

Dave Gaul
08-04-2010, 8:32 AM
Very cool idea. I have a veritas cast iron top I recently aquired, which I plan to make a table for and hopefully get a 3+hp router to put in it, and I was gonna ditch the smallish craftsman table I have now... maybe I keep it with the smaller router (2.25hp) in it for smaller stuff!

Thanks for sharing!