PDA

View Full Version : Bombe Chest on Stand

Bret Duffin
08-04-2010, 1:37 AM
I designed and built this Chest over the last three weeks or so in my spare time. It's mostly curly soft maple with some burl and walnut inlays.

I'm currently applying many coats of laquer

Bret

Hans Braul
08-04-2010, 6:34 AM
Wow - really cool. I can't imagine how the drawers are made to fit the odd shape - I have enough trouble with rectangles!

Great work

Hans

Van Huskey
08-04-2010, 6:38 AM
Gorgeous!!! Would love to see pics of the top as well.

Michael MacDonald
08-04-2010, 8:52 AM
really nice... I don't think I will ever get to that level of craftsmanship. but I know what to shoot for. more pics please.

John Thompson
08-04-2010, 9:15 AM
Nice job.. lot of work involved with this design... a lot of work!

Andrew Gibson
08-04-2010, 9:19 AM
I can't wait the see it once finished!
I love how delicate the legs make the piece look.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2010, 9:31 AM
Very nicely done. I would really like to see photos of it finished. This piece has a flowing feeling to it. I like it.

Dave Anderson NH
08-04-2010, 9:51 AM
Beautifully done Brett. A warning though, if you fail to post pictures of the completed project complete with finish you will be banned from the Creek.:D I'm kidding of course, but then again, maybe not.;)

Stephen Ash
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Wow, that's very elegant and graceful looking. I'd also love to see more pictures, including the build process if you have coverage of it.

Regards,
Steve

Mark Valsi
08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
More pictures, pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzze !

Greg Plowman
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Wow!, fantastic.

Carroll Courtney
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Looks fantastic,but what about the top:eek: please post some pics.It also looks fantastic---Carroll

Trevor Howard
08-04-2010, 1:19 PM
Beautifully done Brett. A warning though, if you fail to post pictures of the completed project complete with finish you will be banned from the Creek.:D I'm kidding of course, but then again, maybe not.;)

I say Ban him now, ONLY 2 pictures, non of the top and no explanation as to how this was made. :eek:;)

On another note, that is an amazing piece, I am new into woodworking and if I can reach half your talent through my life I will be happy.

three weeks or so in my spare time
You must have a lot of spare time, I could be looking at 3 years on something like that :D
I look forward to the finished project pictures

Vince Shriver
08-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Wow - really cool. I can't imagine how the drawers are made to fit the odd shape - I have enough trouble with rectangles!

Great work

Hans

Hans, not that difficult. Just build normal drawers and carcus, seal it off, then pump in gas until is bulges just the way you want. Easy as pie. (Now where did I put that pipe....). On a less silly note, I have to agree with you. The craftsmanship in a piece like this is just phenomenal.

gary Zimmel
08-04-2010, 5:59 PM
Sweet work Bret, real sweet....
And one more request for a couple of more pics.

Bruce Page
08-04-2010, 7:36 PM
That is really nice Bret. Do you have a pic of the top that you could show us?

It would take me 3 weeks just to figure out the drawer detail...:rolleyes:

Craig D Peltier
08-05-2010, 1:15 AM
Bret you do really nice work.
Im building a end table right now with same legs. I will post when its done.
If you ever on this side again and need some wood I usually always have some or can get some for low cost to you.Walnut now.

Bret Duffin
08-05-2010, 1:25 AM
Thanks for the nice comments and threats for not posting more pics, ha ha.
Hope you enjoy these, Bret

Bret Duffin
08-05-2010, 1:41 AM
The curves were actually pretty easy. The dovetailed drawers were the slow part.

My favorite part is the design. I enjoy taking and idea and seeing come to life in wood.

Bret

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-05-2010, 1:46 AM
Very unique looking piece. Can't wait to see it complete with finish (yeah, yeah, yeah. I too am asking for more pix!:D)

alex grams
08-05-2010, 2:09 PM
You realize you are going to have to give more detailed explanations of some items, right?

On the side panels, did you steam bend the wood, cut it from a solid piece, or laminate bend it?

It looks like you did the curve for the end panels and framed them up, then did you have a curve template for the front/drawer face curve and you cut that curve in the stiles of the end pieces?

Very unique piece. Are you going to keep the final finish a lighter color, or darken it?

PS: Do you mind sharing the sketchup model file? Is it very accurate on the joinery you used, or was it just a rough dimensional/design tool to visualize your goal?

Bret Duffin
08-05-2010, 3:59 PM
Alex,

When I started this project my intention was to carefully document the entire process....well i got lazy with that.

There really aren't too many curved parts. The end stiles of the end panels are laminated thin strips, 3/16". I cut a simple clamp mold from a chunk of beam. I put in a mid rail so I wouldn't have to coop the solid end panels. I just cut the ends of the panels a little fat and whittled them to fit into the curved groove. I used a 1/4" straight cutter and a curved fence on the router table to plough the groove and made several passes.

The drawer fronts started out as 5/4 stock. I just estimated the average angle to cut the drawer sides then cut some angled facets from the drawer face to get the rough shape. The final shaping was done with hand planes and sanders. Start with a drawer front that is bigger than the opening and slowly remove wood until it fits.

I only use the Sketchup drawing for conceptualizing. I use a story board and test scrap pieces to work out the final design and there are some refinements I would make if I built this chest again.

Thanks for looking, Bret

Tony Shea
08-05-2010, 8:13 PM
I would like to know a little on how you shaped your legs with that style of taper. I am in the design stage of a hall table and have been really contemplating on using that similar shape for my legs, not quite so extreme of a taper but the same idea. Just curious about the steps involved in shaping a leg with a taper/flare similar to yours. I got the idea for that shape after reading some Krenov and really liked the looks of one of his writing table legs.

Bret Duffin
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Tony,

Keep the legs square and do all of your joinery first then mark your radius on the two outward faces and cut them on the band saw. I sand the concaves on the end of my horizontal edge sander. I like a radius that removes about half (no more) the width of the leg at the skinny point. Save the cutoffs from the band saw. You'll need the first cutoff to slide back under the leg to make the second cut. You will fin the little radius cutoffs helpful as clamp pads when glueing up the leg assembly.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Krenov years ago. He was a nice man.

enjoy, Bret

Bret Duffin
08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
The grain is realy showing nicely with just two coats of lacquer so far.

The inlay on the top was kept simple so as not to detract from the grain patterns of the wood.....maybe too simple.

Tony Shea
08-06-2010, 4:32 PM
Just a wonderful peice Bret. Everything turned out amazing, just can't get enough of looking at the pics. I do like the simplicity of the inlay and really think it fits the grain pattern well. The grain on the circle inlay is awesome.

Jeff Monson
08-06-2010, 8:08 PM
Bret, not to simple at all. I think its about perfect, IMO adding more would take away from the design, its a good balance of wood contrast and outstanding design, the legs and curved sides and drawers work really well together.

Rob Lindquist
08-10-2010, 1:42 PM
3 WEEKS! SPARE TIME!:eek:

Amazing, I'm with the others, more pictures and please, describe the process of getting this done.

I have a hard time with square stuff!

oops, I didn't see the second page.

Jon Lanier
08-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Gulp!!!! that is totally pressed.... sweet.

Bret Duffin
08-11-2010, 9:13 PM
Gulp!!!! that is totally pressed.... sweet.

I'm not sure what that means but I think it's a complement.

Thank you, Bret

Brent Ring
08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Outstanding execution and work. I think I have created something awesome, and then I see this kind of work here, and I think to myself - so much to learn, so little time.

Great job Bret!

Ed Morgano
08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Outstanding execution and work. I think I have created something awesome, and then I see this kind of work here, and I think to myself - so much to learn, so little time.

Great job Bret!

Bret, I'm with Brent on this one....totally awesome.

Bret Duffin
08-13-2010, 3:55 AM
Bret, I'm with Brent on this one....totally awesome.

I feel the same way when I look at some stuff people build.

I think we all are our own toughest critics.

Thanks to all for the nice comments,

Bret

Dave McGeehan
08-13-2010, 8:43 AM
Bret, terrific unique design and craftsmanship. That first photo blew me away. The design is so beautiful that I didn't notice the finish hadn't been applied yet. What is going on in the third set of photos, last pic (P7160354) with the clamped pieces?

Again, timeless style yet very unique.

Bret Duffin
08-13-2010, 9:15 AM
Bret, terrific unique design and craftsmanship. That first photo blew me away. The design is so beautiful that I didn't notice the finish hadn't been applied yet. What is going on in the third set of photos, last pic (P7160354) with the clamped pieces?

Again, timeless style yet very unique.

Thanks,

I clamped the legs together from 5/4 stock.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-13-2010, 8:47 PM
Man o' man...that looks hard to build.

There has been some really exceptional work post here lately. What a bunch of talented folks.

Well done!

-Jeff :)

mreza Salav
08-14-2010, 1:07 AM
I'm late to this but...
Very interesting looking piece and very well executed!
It looks great in all details. I do thank you for posting the pics.

Ed Morgano
08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Bret,
I'm most interested in the inlay work. If you ever do some more, maybe you could do a mini "Tutorial". I wanted to do something unusual for the top of the chess table I'm building but have no experience with inlays.

Jim Becker
08-31-2010, 9:31 PM
Outstanding work!