PDA

View Full Version : Classes with Bill Grumbine

Paul Ray Moore
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
This past week my son, William, and I snuck in two days of classes with Bill Grumbine at his shop in PA during our family vacation. Bill and his family are great host and we both learned a lot. Bill took us to lunch each day at a local diner that served a fine hamburger. If you are ever in that area stop by the Starlight and get one.
William has been turning pens around a year now and has recently wanted to start turning bowls. I've been turning only about a year and have made more funnels than bowls. So after watching Bill's 1st video, I started thinking about making a trip. I knew Bill could teach William more in 2 days than I would be able to teach him in a lifetime. Bill showed us the techniques used to turn a regular edge bowl and a natural edge bowl. Bill also helped William with some pen turning tips and a little practice on the skew. We had two full days of learning and laughs. Bill is a real down to earth guy and we really enjoyed spending time with him. Another pleasure was turning on Bill's Robust lathe. Wow what a tool!!! I would suggest that if you are considering taking classes or have the chance to see Bill at a demonstration do it.
To top the whole trip off at the end of the second day, my wife and daughter joined us for a little target practice with Bill's .22 cal target pistol. It had a laser site on it but the sun was too bright to use it. My wife did a great job of grouping her shots for the first time shooting.

Here are a few pictures of the turning and shooting.
The first is William making a finesse cut with the PA long gouge.:)157436
2nd is a picture with William and me holding our natural edge bowls with Bill.157437
3rd is Bill giving William some pointers with the skew on the Robust lathe.157438
4th is getting the safety briefing before shooting and finally is Bill having a little fun while my wife is concentrating.157439157440

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 10:40 PM
It looks and sounds like the whole family had a blast. I'd love to do something like that with my son when he's old enough... It's probably something that you two will remember and discuss for years to come... It beats the heck out of Disney!

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Wow that is priceless. I hope when my grandson starts turning I can do something like that with him. Memories forever.

Tom Sherman
08-04-2010, 6:23 AM
Bill and family are truely great people, I spent two days with them in '07' and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I believe I learned more in those two days about turning than I have at any other time. Congtratulations to you and your son.

Tony De Masi
08-04-2010, 8:50 AM
Congrats to you and your son. I was there in April this year so I understand your enthusiam to learn from Bill. I see he still likes to do the bunny ears in pictures too:D It's also very apparent from the moment you see Bill that he is a big, no pun intended, supporter of the second ammendment.

Tony

Quinn McCarthy
08-04-2010, 9:16 AM
Major jealous.

Wish I could do that.

Quinn

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2010, 9:20 AM
Congrats! Bill is high on my list of people from whom I'd like to take some lessons!

Wayne Spence
08-04-2010, 10:51 AM
i came home from the Frontrange Woodturners group last night with Bill Grumbines turning video. After watchng it I would certainly take a few lessons from him. What puts the icing on the cake is knowing that he takes you out for hamburgers at a diner. Now how do I get from Denver to Pennsylvania?

Donny Lawson
08-04-2010, 6:23 PM
I think you are lucky to have the priviledge to have a few lessons from Bill.He is at the top of my list when I can get to PA.
Donny

Allen Neighbors
08-04-2010, 7:51 PM
Bill is on my list of the three people I would most like to meet!! Color me green! :D
You are to be commended for taking your son for this instruction!! He will remember it the rest of his life. A great time for Father and Son.
What blessings!

David E Keller
08-04-2010, 8:27 PM
Bill is on my list of the three people I would most like to meet!! ...

Just curious... Who are the other two?

Allen Neighbors
08-04-2010, 8:45 PM
Just curious... Who are the other two?
Wally Dickerman and John Lucas. I thought everybody knew that already. :D

George Morris
08-04-2010, 8:53 PM
Congrats! Bill is a great guy!

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 9:43 PM
Paul - congrats on you and your son being able to take a class from a true master! The photos do a great job of telling the story! Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves! Nothing better than creating memories!!

Rich Aldrich
08-04-2010, 9:57 PM
What an opportunity. Congrats. Judging from the video, Bill makes the learning process fun - but then turning is fun anyway.

From the photos, it looks like you and your son have to work on your turning muscle. They look a little on the small side.

Grant Wilkinson
08-05-2010, 9:41 AM
It really looks like you had a ball. I'm not surprised. I did the two-day session with Bill a couple of years ago. I'm heading back in mid-September to continue my learning. Since I don't expect to ever stop learning, I do expect to see Bill several more times.