PDA

View Full Version : A Formal, Walnut Diningroom

Russell Hudson
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
This project looked so good at the end I thought it was worth a post...
This was to be a formal dining room. We went with walnut stained a little darker (almost an 'ebonized' look). Even the vent panel was built of walnut.
I'm always looking out for a wainscot panel pattern a step better than simple rectangles. I like this pattern of a horizontal panel at the top with two verticals below.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/rehuds/walnut%20diningroom%20post/diningroomcopy.jpg

We stepped out the wainscot at each corner of the room for better articulation / a richer look.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/rehuds/walnut%20diningroom%20post/wainscotcornercopy.jpg

The ceiling was to be coffered as well. A central 'box' was made to support the three chandeliers and hide the wiring

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/rehuds/walnut%20diningroom%20post/ceilingcopy.jpg

All the chairs were removed from the room and the dining table shifted in order to take the wide angle shot. I liked making this client happy but working on the ceiling, standing on a ladder all day is harder work. I remember thinking at the end of it 'if I have to cope another piece of walnut, crown molding I'll shoot myself'.

Russell Tribby
08-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I love the design and the execution is wonderful. One quick question - why are the rails extended past the stiles on the paneling? I typically see the rails sandwiched between two stiles. Was this done because you had such a long run along the wall?

David Arbogast
08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow! Beautiful work Russell. I like detail photo of the ceiling.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-04-2010, 12:10 AM
That is a beautiful room! Great job.

Mark Valsi
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Great job, do my house next ! <g>

Van Huskey
08-04-2010, 6:40 AM
Very impressive!

John Thompson
08-04-2010, 9:17 AM
Beautiful job.. nice job on those tight crown miters...

Tom Welch
08-04-2010, 5:21 PM
Great Job. I love it.

Bill Wyko
08-04-2010, 6:14 PM
Absolutely georgous. Reminds me of a fine steak house. :)

Russell Hudson
08-04-2010, 7:14 PM
I love the design and the execution is wonderful. One quick question - why are the rails extended past the stiles on the paneling? I typically see the rails sandwiched between two stiles. Was this done because you had such a long run along the wall?

Because the wainscot runs horizontally round the room. Easier to parallel the floor (build up from). Long walnut boards are placed at the bottom first and then the stiles are cut repetitively (exact same length) and the top is capped by the top rail. I've done a lot of wainscot and this way works the best for us. I don't think there are any rules about what overlaps what, as long as it's consistently done that way for any given room.

Craig D Peltier
08-05-2010, 1:12 AM
I think its a very classy room , nice job.
I also think its a sin to stain walnut ( or cherry). Mine as well use birch.Never understood why people stain cherry.Walnut I dont hear very often being stained.

alex grams
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
The thought of doing that much moulding makes me want to cry.

Maybe it is just me or my lack of experience, but moulding with that many intersections and miters makes me hurt :(

glenn bradley
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Beautiful. Very impressive as I am sure the owners want it to be. The stepped out corners really add another level of formality to the overall feel of the room. Great stuff.

Brett Nelson
08-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Well.... I'm about to trim out an office and library. I'm totally about to plagiarize you work. Might also be asking for some suggestions if you don't mind. I've been trying to figure out a design that will set this apart for some time, and I think this is it. Thanks!!!!

Bret Duffin
08-06-2010, 1:18 PM
That is most certainly a beautiful room and a fine job by you. I've had the opportunity to do similar rooms and I find it very enjoyable.

Did you mill all the parts also?

I agree with some of the others that it's too bad they stained the walnut.

Thanks for the post, Bret

Russell Hudson
08-10-2010, 9:30 PM
Well.... I'm about to trim out an office and library. I'm totally about to plagiarize you work. Might also be asking for some suggestions if you don't mind. I've been trying to figure out a design that will set this apart for some time, and I think this is it. Thanks!!!!

Do you live an hour north of NYC?
As long as we're not bidding on the same jobs, I'd be happy to...
admin@hudsoncabinetmaking.com (http://admin@hudsoncabinetmaking.com)

Russell Hudson
08-10-2010, 9:45 PM
I think its a very classy room , nice job.
I also think its a sin to stain walnut ( or cherry). Mine as well use birch.Never understood why people stain cherry.Walnut I dont hear very often being stained.

I always try to talk people into going without stain (or using neutral stain). Especially cherry. I had a choice to go with in inexpensive stock and (almost) ebonize it or go with the walnut ever so slightly darkened.
The photo makes the woodwork appear even darker because of the contrast, etc., but you do see a good amount of grain when your standing there.
This guy is willing to pay a good deal more but expects a perfect job every time. We worked hard for them and did three other projects of which this was the smallest in scale. Huge house. Wish all clients were like this. Asking us to do our best work.

Russell Hudson
08-10-2010, 9:55 PM
That is most certainly a beautiful room and a fine job by you. I've had the opportunity to do similar rooms and I find it very enjoyable.

Did you mill all the parts also?

I agree with some of the others that it's too bad they stained the walnut.

Thanks for the post, Bret

We mill the flat stock from 4/4 rough. We don't cut our own moldings unless it's a special thing (curves, etc.).
See stain answer above...(to Bret Nelson)

Jon Lanier
08-10-2010, 11:00 PM
That is so beautiful. I'm about ready to cry. (well tear up)

Seriously Awesome.