PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm easily amused....

Michael James
08-03-2010, 9:53 PM
Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the little bowl I made from the piece of Hickory in Donny's care package. Hit it with steel wool, white diamond and buffed ren wax. Simple form, but really nice looking wood!
I have never worked with this wood before and it has been pure delight. I will stare at those knots and beautiful chestnut coloring for hours. My "office" bookcases were made out of knotty pine and I buffed every dang knot in the room until it shines!!!!

Michael

ps- yes, I know there's a glare in the pics.... I dont care!!! You have to give me credit for putting the phone down and getting a real camera. Sometimes progress takes time.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
That is a great looking piece. Really like the simple form and finish.

John Keeton
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow!! Michael, you certainly have a nice looking bowl there! Beautiful wood with a lot of character and color, and the form is very nice, as well. Great job!

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
That's great. I like the simple continuous curve and coloring.

Cathy Schaewe
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
MJ - that looks really nice! The guitar may be suffering from lack of attention, but the lathe clearly is not .... :)

Donny Lawson
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Michael, you done a great job on that piece.If I get more of that I will let you know.Right now I have a great BIG piece of Sycamore burl that came from under the ground and I'm dying to get into it.I cut into just a piece of the root and it is hard to describe other that WOW!!!!!. I think Michael could use a piece of this.I have to get some pics of this and post it tomorrow.
Donny

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 10:48 PM
That's... well... OK, lovely. There. I said it. I have been discovering just how hard it is to make those deeply undercut forms, especially when you try to go that thin.

Norm Zax
08-04-2010, 3:48 AM
I like! Gives the wood its due respect.

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2010, 5:39 AM
MJ, The contrast in the bowl is what does it for me, the deep brown of the wood around the knot compared to the creamy light sapwood is great. THe simple form brings it all together, it is one of my favorite style vessels to make. Keep up the good fight, and don't let the office cramp your creative style!

Marinating venison for tonight! Thanks again for the Southwest care/flare package!

Jeff

Michael James
08-04-2010, 9:47 AM
I appreciate the comments and support... Jeff... what time is dinner, and is there an airport near your house??
mj

bob svoboda
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Super bowl, Michael. Really like the contrasting color/grain of that wood.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
WOW! Very nice. But isn't that what they call a closed form? I get all these turning terms mixed up.

Why is it that woodturners call closed containers a box if it's not square?

Aaron Wingert
08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Great looking piece! Love the contrast and the form.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Pretty little bowl! Really like the contrast in the wood! Thanks for sharing!

Ken Glass
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Michael,
The color is amazing. That is a nice bowl. Simple lines and again the color really makes it. Nice finish too. Well Done!!

James Combs
08-04-2010, 2:11 PM
Man, if I had something like that I would have to make some cross grain cuts through it for pen blanks. Very nice MJ