PDA

View Full Version : Getting a handle on the parting tool...'n stuff.

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 9:36 PM
I bought a Crown "diamond" parting tool a while back. As with all Crown tools, it's a nice bit of steel. But the handle was positively stumpy. So, naturally I had to make a new one. Indian boxwood this time with a ferule made from a bronze bushing. What's that round thing it's leaning up against? Oh... that's nothing... just a little something I picked up from that Jeff Nichol guy that just happened to arrive today. Not delivered in person I might add...

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 9:48 PM
Good looking handle David. Oh yea I have one of those suppose to be here tomorrow. Wonder if it will be hand delivered?:eek::D

Ray Bell
08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
David, nice handle. I have one of those round chisel stands just like yours;)

John Keeton
08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice handle, Double D, and a sly stealth gloat on that Jeff Nicol contraption!! Looks a little like mine, too!:D

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Sweet looking circular wheely thing-a-ma-jig. Jeff makes nice doohickeys.

Nice looking handle too.

Cathy Schaewe
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Really, really nice. I 'need' one of those too .... ;)

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 10:52 PM
"...and a sly stealth gloat..."

Huh? Moi? Whatever do you mean?

gary Zimmel
08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Nice upgrade to the parting tool David.
And pretty fancy tool rest you have there....

Thom Sturgill
08-04-2010, 6:32 AM
Ah, another member of the JN steadyrest club!. I was a little worried when I first saw mine as the base was not flat, but it is as solid as a rock! Nice handle too!

David DeCristoforo
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
"I was a little worried...the base was not flat...it is as solid as a rock!"

I had one "small issue" with mine and that was that one of the arms that hold the wheels did not want to slide into the holder and I had to tap it in with a hammer. You can see in the pic (the lower front arm) where the paint on that arm got scratched. But that did not seem to affect the function in any way and other than that, this is a very nicely made and very robust piece of hardware. From my communications with JN, it sounds like he has a pretty "full plate" right now so I have to forgive him for not delivering my unit in person.

Rob Cunningham
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Nice handle and steady rest. A gloat inside a gloat, pretty sneaky David:)

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2010, 7:50 PM
:( David, I must have missed something on yours inside the arm sleeve. Sometimes I get a weld spatter inside when welding them on the ring. I try and check everyone of them to make sure that they are all clear. I will have to make it up too you.

Thom, I have tried to keep the bottoms as flat as possible and even clamp them to a heavy flat plate, but when I put the heat to them the metal likes to dance around a bit and that is the bad thing about welding. I may have to send out care packages to everyone!

Thanks to all for the warm fuzzies!

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
08-04-2010, 8:09 PM
No worries, Jeff. It works. And I'm very pleased with it. It's not like the paint is never going to get scratched. Not around my shop anyway!

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 9:48 PM
David - nice handle! Looks fully functional now! Congrats on your new steady!