PDA

View Full Version : Are Gloats in bad taste

Scott Driemel
08-03-2010, 6:59 PM
Well this might stir up a hornets nest and maybe I'm a distinct minority, but I thought I'd comment on the issues about some of the "Gloats" on this forum. I've been fortunate to live thru some lean times, and good times over the years. Times when I've been forced to liquidate assets and times when the money has been good. Having walked the walk on both sides, I feel kinda' uncomfortable sometimes when I read about peoples gloats. I'm a prudent shopper like probably everyone else. On occasion I'll end up at a CL's seller's home to find it's the family selling off the husbands/fathers stuff. Too often, the family doesn't know what they have or haven't done the homework to determine it's value. I'm no Saint, but I do believe in paying a "reasonable" price for an item under these or similar tough luck circumstances. I'll often explain that I'll give them more than they are asking and explain why. I'll also help them to price the other stuff more reasonably and explain they can sell still at a bargain, but don't have to be ripped off either. I envision my bride, when the day comes, should she need to liquidate my years & years of collecting tools to be left the daunting task of determining a fair price to the buyer & herself for the multitude of tools which will be at best difficult knowledge wise for her and emotionally tough as well. I hope others on this forum, if they come across the situation where a fellow woodworker or their family have made a terrible mistake in the value of an item and are not taken adventage of by their ignorance. Maybe it's asking too much to not jump for the jugular and try to get the item into a vehicle and out of Dodge before the seller comes to their senses. I don't know. If it's a just a good deal then hey, I'm all for it. But if it's a tough case scenario and a riduculous price, I hope there's enough good guys out there even in difficult times to not just make out like a bandit. Okay.. hornet's nest is kicked... let fly!

Ted Calver
08-03-2010, 7:01 PM
Scott,
I think that's called doing the right thing.

Will Overton
08-03-2010, 7:12 PM
Gloats are not in bad taste. I've seen many gloats where the seller knew what they had, and were happy to see it getting passed along to someone who could make good use of it. How many times do we read about a seller, after meeting the buyer and hearing their story throws in a bunch more stuff. Those are gloats that I love to read about.

Taking advantage of somebody because they are down on their luck or because they don't know the value of the items they were left to sell, is in very bad taste.

The problem's not the gloat, but could be the actions that lead up to it.

Bruce Page
08-03-2010, 7:20 PM
Gloats aren’t just for good deals found. My definition of a gloat is celebrating the acquisition of a new toy regardless of price.

And yeah, it’s not a good deal to take obvious advantage of someone.

Mike Cruz
08-03-2010, 7:22 PM
Scott, I understand you point of view. It is honest and noble. But, I have to say (being on the selling side of a bunch of items...not from "hard times" but from the need to get rid of it because I no longer use it or replaced it already and don't need two) that it really isn't that hard to find out the value of an item. If a seller can't take the time to Google an item, check Ebay, check CL, or ask a friend to find out it's approximate value, then it is their lack of effort that will suffer.

I don't mean to be or sound crass, but there are a lot of lazy people out there that have the ability, but not the drive to do the research. Granted, a shop full of items can be daunting. I'll give ya that. Heck I don't even want to have to go through my entire shop to "value" it out. I will, mind you, for insurance and my family's sake, but I believe that onus is on the seller.

That said, your view is, well, above and beyond. I don't think it is unreasonable or that there is anything wrong with it. If you feel that the person deserves or needs the help, by all means, have at it. Generally speaking, I won't...unless it is a heart wrenching case and I cave. ;)

Hear the hornets buzzing?

John Mark Lane
08-03-2010, 7:39 PM
I do a lot of CL, eBay, etc, and I agree completely -- if someone has naively set a price absurdly low, I will often let them know, even if I'm not interested in the item. If it's just someone wanting to unload something quick, fine. I recently bought a couple of power tools off CL, and it was obvious it was an (angry) ex-wife selling off what was left of her ex-husband's stuff. The prices were low, but somehow it didn't bother me. OTOH, I once went to buy an old musical instrument, and met an elderly widow who was selling her deceased husband's belongings to raise money. I paid her more than 10 times what she was asking (and even then got a bargain). You just have to judge each situation and be fair and decent. It's not that hard. And you don't have much to lose, compared to the "price" of, in effect, stealing from an innocent person.

Sure, it's a free market. But a free market should also be a perfect market, and a perfect market finds the right price based on complete information. Not everyone has access to that information or a basis for understanding it.

What goes around comes around. That much I know.

Mark

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-03-2010, 7:40 PM
Are Gloats in bad taste (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1482206#post1482206)

The practice is not my style but I am un-offended by people who do.
I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.
There are other posting styles that I also don't partake in, such as the announcement that one has obtained permission from one's spouse for some acquisition. I try to give the poster the benefit of the doubt and attribute what seems like a public self humiliation, which he or she has engaged in, to that person's slightly inarticulate way of describing what (I truly hope) was in reality a mutual decision among equals in a marriage about expenditure of limited resources which is then unfortunately reported in the post as permission. A case of the wrong word maybe?

I see the Gloats sort of like that. People are very happy about something and want to share it. Maybe they don't get to spend money on themselves a whole lot and when they do it's a big deal? I am pretty sure that no one who posts a gloat is actually trying to make others fell crappy.

I don't know, I am not much of a mind reader. But, whatever the motivation I find it best to not go too far out of my way to pass judgment on other people and their peculiars.

An old friend once said to me: "Friends come and go, but enemies have away of sticking around."

Dave Wagner
08-03-2010, 7:47 PM
Good points....
Case in point, my lathe I bought from a co worker, moderate priced for an old craftsman, but I have seen them lower (but would have to drive to get them off CL), but he didn't turn and it was his father in laws, etc...he was cleaning out all his woodworking equipment, I gave him the asking price, didn't even cross my mind to try and ask lower. He just wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate and use it.

Van Huskey
08-03-2010, 8:02 PM
First, I think gloats are fine and have rarely seen one I thought was in poor taste, except maybe when someone is asking for pennies on the dollar and someone gloats about how they haggled them down to 1/2 pennies on the dollar.

The rest is life and I look at life on a case by case basis, there are people/situations I would pay more than asking and sometimes I wouldn't give someone 1/4 market value for something just because I don't want THAT PERSON to have MY MONEY.

I have been a model/toy train collector most of my life and have valued numerous collections for estates and bought just as many from them. The thing that hurts widows the most is their husbands LIED to them about what they spent on the collection, I suspect this is also true for woodworking equipment and wood. My wife knows everything I spend and every receipt for a purchase of any significance is kept not only for my untimely demise but insurance as well. My wife also tells me about just about every purchase she makes and even tries to explain why heels with red soles are worth $600+ but it is about as useful to me as me explaining why a Felder costs so much more than a Grizzly. We don't do it because we "have to" we do it because we are both in the boat together. So anyone who thinks bad of the guy who is gonna buy your "wall of Festool" for $200 might want to look inward to the guy that didn't bother to tell his wife (or lied) the 15 green and white boxes in the shop didn't cost $500 but cost $8000.

Steve Griffin
08-03-2010, 8:08 PM
Not in bad taste, but often not very valuable contributions to Sawmill Creek. This is a fantastic resource of ideas and opinions, and I find threads about a new shinny tool not usually helpful.

The exception is when someone makes a new toolbox, or tricks out a router, or makes a special effort to improve his skills. Those are the gloats which are much more likely to inspire and inform others.

-Steve

glenn bradley
08-03-2010, 8:16 PM
To me, a gloat is any good thing that has come your way, retail price or Craig's list bargain. I have sent an item down the road for a song on more than one occasion because it suited my purposes at the time. I am glad to run into someone else who is doing the same but agree that it is a poor decision to take obvious advantage. I have a few items I bought from a recent widow up the street during a garage sale. I paid her nearly twice what she was asking. I also helped her to re-price a few other items that were way too low. A good deal is great but there's a limit in my mind. YMMV.

Dan West02
08-03-2010, 8:31 PM
"explain why heels with red soles are worth $600+ "

There is NO WAY to explain that because NO pair of shoes is worth that, no matter who made them or what the color is.:D

Rod Sheridan
08-03-2010, 8:33 PM
Well said Cliff.............Regards, Rod.

Bill LaPointe
08-03-2010, 8:33 PM
Having been in the business of buying used goods for 40 years my policy has always been to ask what the seller thinks is a fair price. I never price another persons goods. Obviously the seller will price an item at what they believe to be a fair price, or in many cases an outragously high price. If they have been lazy, stupid or foolish in pricing their goods I am not going to pay more than they asked for an item. I didn't price it, they did. By the sane token, I am not going to tell the widow lady that her Unisaw is only worth $100. A deal is only a great deal when the seller got more and buyer paid less than what it was worth. The gloat comes from both parties at that point!

Callan Campbell
08-03-2010, 8:43 PM
[QUOTE=Va.

I have been a model/toy train collector most of my life and have valued numerous collections for estates and bought just as many from them. The thing that hurts widows the most is their husbands LIED to them about what they spent on the collection, I suspect this is also true for woodworking equipment and wood. .[/QUOTE] Lie, LIE, you say. NOoooooo, it's just innocent "forgetfulness" when it comes to buying tools and, um, hiding them or disguise them as something else. Yeah, that's a new tower of Home Depot tools honey. No, that's not orange colored duct tape over Festool green, why do you ask? :D:D:D

george wilson
08-03-2010, 8:49 PM
My wife and I were just discussing the HUGE amount of stuff I have accumulated. What we need to do is to go through the stuff and catalog it with current values so the wives can get an idea what they should get for things. I intend to do that. Probably prices with pictures would help the wives to tell what was what.

If you don't do that,your things may be sold at a big loss.

I just spent several hours helping a forum member to help a widow evaluate the relatively small bunch of tools her husband left. Then,I actually gave her more than an old jeweler's saw was worth.

Had the husband left her a list of values,we all would have had less work to do over it.

Andrew Gibson
08-03-2010, 8:56 PM
I have to say that I enjoy reading others gloat threads and see the pics that often accompany such a post.

My most recent Gloat is posted in the Neanderthal haven. I was able to buy a new Iron for my great grandfathers #7 plane as well as a new water stone because I sold a piece of furniture.

The piece of furniture was an Adirondack chair that I posted here as well. The chair went to my Fiance's Aunt at a nice family discount price.

The post was special to me in two ways. First was that I actually was able to make money from my woodworking, and second I was able to use that money to bring back to life a tool that has been in my family for the better part of a century, maybe longer.

For me the joy in the gloat is in knowing that the tools that are aquired and posted here will be used and shown respect. When my day comes, my hope is that they will stay in the family and be used. If that is not going to happen I would hope that they go to someone that will use them and take care of them.

Paul McGaha
08-03-2010, 9:02 PM
I like to see the gloats. Sometimes you can feel the happyness of the writer and it's good to see people happy.

As for as buying or selling used tools I guess there are all kinds of stories. Seeing tools sold due to health issues or financial troubles is sad. I suppose I'm something like Van. I dont want to take advantage of anyone. Buying a tool used should result in about a 50% savings anyway. I dont feel the challange to talk them down furthur.

Just my $.02.

PHM

Chip Lindley
08-03-2010, 9:25 PM
...Sometimes you can feel the happyness of the writer and it's good to see people happy.

I think that's the whole POINT of gloats!

After reading all the input above, I am happy to report I don't believe I have ever taken advantage of anyone selling tools. Many items have come from cabinet shops who know very well the value of their stuff, and need to move it out for their own reasons. Most gloats happen when a seller needs to move something now, rather than dangle the carrot and wait.

Those running a woodworking business often amortize their machinery on the books. Should they sell the tool for more than it is worth (usually scrap value) they may have to declare a capital gain at a high tax rate! They have gotten their use of the machine in producing to make a profit, and someone gets a gloat!

Public auctions keep my conscience clear because there is a professional service involved in selling the goods. Auctioneers know what stuff is worth. But, when a seller signs the contract for selling at "no reserve," they know what they are getting into.

Many pay full price + shipping for new machinery. I do not begrudge nice new things to those who have more discressionary income than others. Their gloat could be about new and shiny (the Ahhh factor) or, their gloat could be about a new machine badly needed to replace a clunker. Either way, new was worth the cost. Depending on brand, their new acquisition has depreciated considerably as soon as they plug it in! Others buy at scrap iron prices and spend an exhorbent amount of time and/or money, restoring the junker to working (or showroom) condition.

I was acquiring gloats 20 years ago when it was only known as "one heck of a bargain!" All I knew was that I found good machinery, at a time when I needed it most, at a fraction of new prices. I could barely afford what I did spend, and I was Blessed!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2010, 9:34 PM
To me a gloat is just a member taking the opportunity to share a joy with everyone else. To be blunt, I could care less whether the person got a good deal or not.

I have slowly over the last 5 years started outfitting my shop. Some tools are fairly good quality.....others aren't but they all perform to a reasonably expected level of performance. When I post a gloat, it is just to share my joy with others. I appreciate it when others share similar experiences.

Joseph Tarantino
08-03-2010, 9:47 PM
Too often, the family doesn't know what they have or haven't done the homework to determine it's value.
if god had not wanted them shorn, he would not have made them sheep.

Dan Karachio
08-03-2010, 9:52 PM
Lie, LIE, you say. NOoooooo, it's just innocent "forgetfulness" when it comes to buying tools and, um, hiding them or disguise them as something else. Yeah, that's a new tower of Home Depot tools honey. No, that's not orange colored duct tape over Festool green, why do you ask? :D:D:D

Uh oh. I have been known to sort of poo poo costs and...well... I had no idea I was setting up future gloats of 2050 (I hope).

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Lie, LIE, you say. NOoooooo, it's just innocent "forgetfulness" when it comes to buying tools and, um, hiding them or disguise them as something else. :D:D:D

I have a BIL who had a method he used for years with my sister. He collects guns. He would go visit "Uncle Bill" and order a new one........bring it home while she was at work.....take the one out of the hall closet and put it in one of this gun safes....and put the "new" one in the hall closet so she'd see it daily as she got her coat to go to work.

Little did he know she was on to him and just let him have his fun.

Cliff Holmes
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Are Gloats in bad taste?

In a word, no.

I rather enjoy seeing seeing my brothers (and sisters) in woodworking get an awesome deal. I get a bit of their joy (and perhaps a twinge of envy).

If someone was forced by circumstance to sell something below what it's "worth" so be it. If someone here didn't buy it, someone else would.

And as for gloating about it on here, I've been grateful because it inspired me to dig a little harder on CL and eBay, which has resulted in some major bargains for me. Although I'm still kicking myself over that $600 20" helical planer that I passed on because it was a little rusty.

Karl Card
08-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I am happy for anyone that gets new stuff. Whether they are wealthy or not as wealthy a new tool or a new piece of wood is a nice feeling.
In my situation, no I dont live in a ditch, but I have been laid off for so long that money is very tight and I have to watch for deals. At the same time I do not try and bring people down on price. It is either worth asking price or I dont/cant buy it. I do often bring up trades, a little cash, a little wood sometimes it works sometimes not.. I do not have the heart to basically get something for nothing from a death etc.

I am really happy by the way most of this thread is "do the right thing".
See my whole shop was put together by deals and trades and by looks it may not be much but it serves alot of purposes and I put it together by nothing but good deals and trading. CL, ebay, cheapcycle, etc...

What I really like is tips and tricks from members... those little tips and tricks can save other members money, time and sanity....

Andrew Joiner
08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Van Huskey
"explain why heels with red soles are worth $600+ "

There is NO WAY to explain that because NO pair of shoes is worth that, no matter who made them or what the color is.:D

When did Festool start making shoes?

Don Alexander
08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
i think gloats are interesting reading most times and the posts in this thread are also interesting and informative reading

learning something about each of you :D

Scott Driemel
08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm pleased to see so many think getting a good deal vs a absoulte steal is an acceptable level of business. For the most, I agree with the post that if you can obtain something for 50% of new cost, it's usually fair to the seller & the buyer. Okay, maybe a bit towards the buyer. The reason that prompted me to start the thread was recently I went to a home to look at a variety of shop tools. I wasn't there on the 1st but rather about the 4th day the ad had been run. It was two daughter selling their fathers tools as he'd just passed away and although they lived with him in his house, they had to liquidate the house & his stuff to clean it out. When I arrived I saw a big 20" General planer. Massive and menacing. These two frail girls had called a dealer to inquire what a new one was and were floored by the amount. A chap came by, told them how they (these size planers) were dinosaurs and they'd NEVER sell it. He offered them $300 and they said ok. Scared to death they'd have to pay someone to move it as it'd never sell. The thing should have gone for at least $1000 and that'd been a deal. I second the "enjoyment" aspect of hearing how a fellow enthusiast has finally made his "dream purchase". Or how he/she found a retailer selling NOS at a terrific price to blow them out. It's fun to listen to those occasions. It's just the ones about someone getting something for 5 or 10 cents on the dollar that make me wonder if ethics still survive in the used tool domain. Yes there exceptions to that even but we all know what is the right thing to do. Interesting comments as to how many simply pay the asking price if it's reasonable without haggling. After listening to many of the anecdotal replies, it appears that for the most part, woodworkers do have a pretty decent degree of integrity when it comes to this subject. Karma...

Van Huskey
08-04-2010, 12:44 AM

My wife disagrees therefore I do to... :D

Actually most of Christian Louboutin shoes (the ones with a red soles) cost well over $600, those are "starters". But shoes are nothing, handbags are the Felder (or maybe Format 4) of women's "stuff". There are quite a few that cost as much as a Honda Civic... or more. I have never told my wife something she wanted was overpriced or not worth the money and she does the same for me, I have however had to tell here on occasion that we could not afford something.

Unthreadjack... When someone gloats about a new, retail purchase I think we are due a review for the "you sucks"! I think we should encourage MORE reviews, even if something has been reviewed tons of times every eye sees something new or in a different way.

Gary Hodgin
08-04-2010, 1:22 AM
Gloats don't bother really bother me unless I know someone was really taken advantage of. Perhaps, someone got a great deal, but no need to gloat about it in these cases. Otherwise, I enjoy reading the finds on CL, Ebay, and so on.

What I find unusual about the gloat is that it seems to always be a buyer gloating, not a seller. For example, I haven't seen anyone post something like, "I sold my 15 year old Craftsman 10" table saw to a guy for $450 and he could have bought them on CLs all day for $300, or "I sold this guy my 10 year old unisaw for $1300 and the trunnions were cracked." Maybe it's just a little more unseemly for a seller to gloat?

Mike OMelia
08-04-2010, 2:07 AM
Gloats are Constitutionaly gaurenteed.

Cary Falk
08-04-2010, 4:20 AM
I don't mind the gloat threads. I like looking at tools as much as the next guy. I think the definition of gloat varies greatly. Anything used on CL around here that you can purchase less than full retail would be a gloat. I think it does sometimes put unreal expectations on tool prices. You see enough posts about sub $200 Unisaw and you think $1000 for a plug'n'play one is outrageous. I usually don't partisipate in gloat threads. I read them to see what people are buying. I think what would make them better is if the poster would do a review and tell us why they bought and what they hope to gain from the purchase. I also know that some people buy stuff strickly because of the price not knowing if they will ever use it.

Rich Engelhardt
08-04-2010, 6:11 AM
No.

They are a part of the "personality" of this particular forum.

The first reference to "gloat" that I could find dates back to Feb of 2003, right after the beginning of this board.
IIRC, this board was an off shoot/decendant of another forum (Badger Pond?).

Since this was before my time, I have no way to verify it, but,,,I strongly suspect the practice began there - or even farther back - maybe rec.woodworking?
Anyhow - that's just speculation on my part.

Mike Cruz
08-04-2010, 7:02 AM
Usually, if something is already a good deal, I don't haggle with the price. But, I have to admit, when you buy used, you are taking a risk. You might be finding some hidden costs involved because of untruthful sellers. So, getting the best price you possibly can gives you cushion for getting it back up to par.

As for haggling, I've found that most (not all) people will set a price. That is what they want but not their bottom line. If you are the first responder, you will likely pay that set price. If you are 4th or 5th on that line, you might get away with a little more discount.

Sorry, not sure if I made myself clear in my first post or not, so let me say this. Yes, it is unreasonable, unfair, and downright mean to take advantage of an elderly person or someone the just doesn't know any better by convincing them that something is worth far less than what it is worth or what they think it is worth when it isn't true. The guy that pulled the 20" planer steal should be assamed. But, had they set the price at $300 and he walked in a bought it, hey, their loss. He is taking a chance on a piece of machinery that is being listed at $300 that the sellers know nothing about. It may have MAJOR issues that the original owner knew about and would have conveyed...had he still been around. Shame on the guy for swindling these two daughters.

On the other hand, my biggest gloat was because of a divorce situation. I got a Uni, an almost new Jointer, a DP, and a whole slew of other stuff for $300. I went there for the Uni only, but the guy kept unloading stuff on me because he was going to settlement on the house the next day. He didn't want to rent a truck, rent storage space, hire movers (or get buddies to help him on a week day), and deal with all the hassles. He just wanted it gone so he could go on with his life. The argument could be made that I was taking advantage of a divorce situation, but I see it two ways: We both made out, I got a lot of great stuff, he scratched something off his list; and secondly, it wasn't my fault that he waited so long to get rid of this stuff. Divorces don't happen over night. Home sales don't happen over night. He had plenty of time. He also has a very good job and wasn't "hurting" for money. He just needed it gone, and I benefitted. Why did I post a gloat? I couldn't contain myself. I had to share with those that I knew could appreciate what I just got. Even with a family of handy folks, no one realized my score like the lovely folks of SMC. No one in my family or of my friends told my "YOU SUCK!!!!" :D

John Coloccia
08-04-2010, 7:12 AM
john<===generally thinks people are much too easily offended and upset these days

john<===also thinks people should take responsibility for themselves, both buyers and sellers

john<===in conclusion thinks that not everything needs to be micro-examined for propriety or some deeper commentary on society

:D

Joe Leigh
08-04-2010, 7:45 AM
Not sure which is more distasteful, the gloat threads or someone starting a thread to illustrate that they didn't take advantage of someone.

No extra points for doing "the right thing".

John Powers
08-04-2010, 9:21 AM
Scott your looking way too deeply into this. If an old neighbor, whos given cookies to the kids, asked you what that Uni is worth you have to tell him. If someone has one out in the driveway or in CL for a great price you buy it. Your not Mother Theresa. For every hard luck story there are ten guys who just had to have that bronze whatever and now they'd rather have the money. Sounds lame but someone is going to buy it for that price.

Don Alexander
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
john<===generally thinks people are much too easily offended and upset these days

john<===also thinks people should take responsibility for themselves, both buyers and sellers

john<===in conclusion thinks that not everything needs to be micro-examined for propriety or some deeper commentary on society

agree 1000% on all 3 points :D

Jerome Hanby
08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I think there is a big difference in beating someone out of something and taking advantage of an advertised good deal. For example, the yard guy my parents use trying to buy their John Deere tractor for $1500 is someone trying to take advantage. Finding what turns out to be a good deal on Craigslist for $500 and fanning out 4 $100 bills as an offer is just haggling, not taking advantage. In fact if you didn't try that the seller would most likely be hooting to their buddies about the rube that paid his asking price.

You will come up on deal where the person obviously has no idea of the actual worth of what they have, but I can't see where that's cause for your concern. You never know what the circumstances are. Their thought may be I have to get Daddy's old immovable cast iron thing out of the garage before I can start showing the house. Even if it's just ignorance, how many people have no way to Google that item (directly or indirectly)? If it wasn't worth their time to find out then it's not worth yours to educate them.

P.S. The gloats here kept me looking for that $300 Unisaw long after I would have given up on it as an urban legend.

Paul Johnstone
08-04-2010, 1:19 PM
There are other posting styles that I also don't partake in, such as the announcement that one has obtained permission from one's spouse for some acquisition.

This posting style is strange, I agree.
I don't know if it intended to be humorous of if some guys are as really as submissive as they say they are. I do know some people like that in real life though. They delegate every decision (no matter how minor) to their wife.. I guess some guys like the wife being in the "Mom" role?

As far as gloats, I've listed some (non woodworking ) stuff used for about 20% of the new price just to get it to move quickly.

I remember when I was a young adult.. I used to play trading card games. Some of those stupid cards were worth well over $100 each in the heyday. Some people would gloat about trading a kid a 3 cent card for an $80 card because the poor kid did not know what he had..

Mike Cruz
08-04-2010, 1:55 PM
Glad to be a Myth Buster, Jerome! :D

Jerome Hanby
08-04-2010, 2:01 PM
Glad to be a Myth Buster, Jerome! :D

Of course there is the down side. I can feel the partially disassembled Unisaw glaring at me whenever I walk into the shop. I can practically hear it hissing at me when I power up the Craftsman...

I think I've spent more on the rebuild stuff (paint, evaporust, and a fiberglass goose egg motor cover reproduction) than I did on the saw!

David Arbogast
08-04-2010, 2:03 PM
On the one hand I sometimes enjoy reading expressions of delight from those who have obtained a new tool or materials for woodworking, but on the other hand I have always hated the term "gloat", a term that is oddly unique to this forum. In sports "gloating" is called "unsportsmanlike conduct" and those that do it are often penalized. But, here at SMC, the term seems to simply mean, "Hey, I got something new (to me) and I'm so excited about that I feel the need to share my good fortune others." Such "gloats" aren't offensive to me, but they are't valuable contributions either.

Cliff Holmes
08-04-2010, 2:53 PM
Such "gloats" aren't offensive to me, but they are't valuable contributions either.

I disagree. I think they're somewhat like someone showing off their latest creation, it lets me know what's possible. I have spent many hours setting up craigslist searches and lurking on eBay, resulting in saving thousands of dollars, because of the "gloats" I've seen here.

Jim Rimmer
08-04-2010, 3:46 PM
if god had not wanted them shorn, he would not have made them sheep.
That's pretty cold. :eek:

Dan Karachio
08-04-2010, 5:02 PM
More often than not, a true gloat worthy of admiration (or ethical dilemma to others) is the result of months or maybe years of bargain hunting. I envy those with the patience and stick to it attitude that comes with these amazing deals, but it has a cost - time, effort and patience. None of us can just search CL one day and find a steal the first time out. If it was easy, we would all be doing it.

In addition, like others I would like to point out all the non-gloats that many of us have experienced - far more than gloats. I have bought quite a few used tools that turned out to have little problems and issues that in the long run, hardly saved me a dime from buying new. I don't see threads about the ethics of selling used tools, but I am certain those I purchased from where not out to get me.

Seriously, of all the bad taste demonstrated in this world (think Real House Wives of ____), tool gloats aren't even on the radar screen.

David Arbogast
08-04-2010, 5:02 PM
I disagree. I think they're somewhat like someone showing off their latest creation, it lets me know what's possible. I have spent many hours setting up craigslist searches and lurking on eBay, resulting in saving thousands of dollars, because of the "gloats" I've seen here.Well, there you go, now I disagree with me too, thanks to your very impressive testimony! I can still hate the word "gloat" though, can't I? ;)

Cliff Holmes
08-04-2010, 5:21 PM
I can still hate the word "gloat" though, can't I? ;)

If it makes you happy ... ;)

ian maybury
08-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Must say i don't much like the word 'gloat' either. :p

The (reverse?) psychology of a forum gloat is possibly such that it's intended to head off those who might interpret a simple 'look what I bought' post as bragging - by overstating the 'gloat' element to show awareness and that it's not about bragging, and by making a joke out of it.

Most of us are interested to hear what others are buying, and like to see others progressing - a purchase is anyway the clearest statement of opinion/position possible.

Maybe 'gloats' become unnecesary if (a) people simply take care not to give the impression of bragging, and (b) we all act to make sure that those posting feel comfortable that this sort of information post is not just tolerated, but appreciated???

ian

Harold Burrell
08-04-2010, 6:06 PM
Dude..."gloats" are one of the coolest things about this place.

Think about it. When was the last time you bought something for the shop? Wasn't it fun? Weren't you excited (even a little)?

Now...did your wife share your joy???

I'm guessing...no.

SMC is our little place to party in that regards. Hey! I'm getting oh so very close to buying my bandsaw that I have been saving up for for MONTHS! You better believe a "gloat" will follow.

I'm thinking that price is only a part of the equation. It is mostly in the getting. :D

Anthony Diodati
08-04-2010, 9:39 PM
I don't think it is, but what kills me is someone gloating how like they got a nice Stanley 7 0r 8 for like $5.00 them bragging how the got $150.00 on e bay for it.
Thanks, Tony

Mark Woodmark
08-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I enjoy seeing other woodworkers tool aquisitions and also their excitement over these aquistions

Dan Friedrichs
08-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Gloats are valuable because they help establish the value of used equipment.

Now why haven't I been able to find that $300 Unisaw....

David Nelson1
08-05-2010, 8:20 AM
I've posted a few gloats and a couple that where titled mini gloats. most of the items I've gotten are from the local Southern Md rag or eBay. I've gotten a few deals and a few things I felt that I paid a few dollars more, but the condition of tool was excellent. The one that I'm the most proud of was the Delta Unifeeder that I adapter to my Craftsman T/S I was on the road and talked with the seller a few times, then took a chance.

I didn't get a big response from most of the gloats, but a few popped up and offered some suggestions on how to or things not to do. I believe this is what the spirit of posting new acquisitions is all about, the knowledge base of this forum is infinate. I have move my tools in storage because I (contractor) dry walled and insulated my shop. I do have a few items to post about the shop With pics and the last couple of things that I bought.

As far as taking advantage of the elderly. I bought about 240 BDFT of black walnut. She was asking 50.00. It had been sitting since the mid 70's when her husband died and she just wanted it outta there. Of course after looking through the pile I gave more than she was asking.

Dave MacArthur
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Two points to your thread, one is "is it OK to take advantage of someone?", and there have been some great answers reflecting many perspectives. And I have to say, I found the "if they weren't meant to be shorn, they wouldn't be born sheep" post pretty funny, exactly as the poster meant it obviously... But it's always good to have "doing the right thing" reinforced in society, so these posts are all good.

Now, your second point, "are gloats (the posts) bad"--NO!
I love reading about folks good deals, they kept me looking for similar opportunities for 5 years until I finally found one myself. I would never have kept at it, and indeed learned to quite enjoy the search, if not for reading these "low end of the market" posts.

AND, I've been able to interact both in forum and outside with many many folks who have posted gloats on items I'm interested in myself. They've told me things like what to look for in that item used, how to assess reasonable prices--arcane stuff I would never even have been able to find a person to TALK to about, much less just BAM get the answer. Folks have sent me emails containing product info on their gloats which has helped me refine 10 year searches for "the right" tool, information I had a hard time finding but for this forum, it's great folks, and it's enjoyable gloats.

Lastly, guys up above have it right on trying to celebrate a nice purchase with someone who understands the purchase. I'll tell you flat out, it made me feel great to have some folks listen to my good deal and give me a "you suck!", even though I know such posts happen daily... but my wife sure isn't that excited about an Agazzani bandsaw, and sometimes you just want to find another guy and say, LOOKIT THAT beauty hey??

I'm not sure I've disagreed with ANY of the posts up above actually, and I got a good chuckle out of a couple.

Oh yeah, lastly--I think some of you ARE missing the "I just got permission from my wife to purchase this" joke, or just not getting the psychology of it. It's never wrong to empower your spouse in public, or indicate she's involved in decisions on items that clearly are not usually 100% family-first from a budget perspective. No, it doesn't indicate being "whipped" in the least, to me it confirms a guy is aware of family needs, budget, the correctly secondary nature of his toys, and that he thinks highly of his spouse... that's a man's man in anyone's book who's actually read the rules telling you how to win the game. ;)

Mike Cruz
08-08-2010, 8:46 AM
Great post, Dave. Well, said. Nice analysis.

Harold Burrell
08-08-2010, 6:16 PM
Dave...dude...that was awesome.