PDA

View Full Version : Router Runout

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-03-2010, 6:05 PM
OK I have never had this problem before but now that I own a couple Porter Cable routers its become one.

I have a 7815 router that is less than a year old. I just purchased a set of Freuds Extended tenon Stile and Rail set and it had horrible vibration.

I checked the router with no collet and on the inside has .0025 runout.

I have three collets.

One gets me .0035 runout at the base of the freud bit
The next gets me .005
The last gets me .007

The .0035 collet is one I purchased sperately while the other two came with PC routers.

Whats up with this? Do I have to keep purchasing collets as the ones that come with the routers are pure crap.

What is considered acceptable runout at the router shaft without a collet?

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-03-2010, 6:35 PM
I checked the router with no collet and on the inside has .0025 runout.

That sounds like the problem.

You can get precision collets here (http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/pc_collets_nuts.asp), but if you have runout in the taper, I don't think they'll help.

Chip Lindley
08-03-2010, 6:46 PM
.0025" runnout of your P-C (7518) collet nose is trouble from the git-go (especially with large diameter bits) This runout compounds any runout in the collets themselves. If the collets had zero runout, the .0025" would be grounds for warranty work, IMO, but after one year, I believe your warranty has expired.

Did the router perform this way when brand new? If not, the trouble may be with a bad bearing and not the collet. There are vicious rumors that P-C has used some inferior bearings of late.

My older 7518, 7519, and 7538 plunger have no vibration problem. They run smoothly--and I purchased them on eBay, used!

Van Huskey
08-03-2010, 6:53 PM
I agree too much runout in the router itself!

mickey cassiba
08-03-2010, 7:35 PM
Can you move the shaft from side to side(not rotating)? Yes tells me bearings...No tells me that it is a problem with the armature shaft, and or the collet receiver(taper).
Mick

pat warner
08-03-2010, 8:24 PM
TIR very sensitive to measuring tool and technique with a rough/tumble collet. 2-4 mils is typical. 5 is too much but not unusual.
You're right to be concerned but I doubt a new collet will buy you much.
Routers are still in the dark ages compared to precision machine tools.

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-03-2010, 9:41 PM
Yes this router has allways had a problem. Since day one It had vibration. Will PC replace the router with .0025 runout or is this an uphill battle.

FYI I have another PC router and it vibrates as well.

Pete Bradley
08-03-2010, 9:52 PM
.0025? Exactly? :rolleyes:

Fine woodworking did a review a while ago and they were measuring runout in this neighborhood with most routers. You'd be hard pressed to notice that in the work. You will probably also find that mounting and unmounting the same bit/collet give you different readings.

You don't mention if the router vibrates horribly without a bit. If only with a bit that may be a defect or damage in the bit. Also, router bearings don't last forever and it could be that the bearing's on the way out and can't handle the extra load of the big bit. Finally, it may be that what you're measuring is a symptom of a bent or mismachined shaft that causes the bit to "orbit" as well as spin.

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
The router does vibrate but no more than any other Portercable router. But not as much as any of my other routers.

Its pretty obvious that the problem I am having now is the crappy Collets. The .003 collet seems to work well enough.

Also do do get consistant readings.