PDA

View Full Version : Burled Mulberry Vase

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 5:57 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is a Vase that I finish turned this past weekend. It is bulred Mulberry and started out to be a solid piece, but as I turned it into shape it opened up a large hole. I thought it had some character so I went ahead and roughed it out, soaked it, wrapped it and then finish turned it. The inside was mostly decay, but the outsides are sound. It stands 12" tall and 5-3/4" at the widest part and has a 1-1/4" base. I lost the top part while hollowing in too small a hole ,so I added a collar and ebonized it also. It is Beall buffed and I ebonized the inside for affect. This is a real departure for me and I am not sure I like it, but the SWMBO does, so it will be sold at the Art Show this Friday night. Maybe? Thanks for looking and your comments are always welcome.

James Combs
08-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Great Save on the top and a beautiful piece of art work. I concur with your SWMBO.

John Keeton
08-03-2010, 6:38 PM
Another nice piece, Ken!! Beautiful piece of burl, and I like the void - really adds to this one. I predict a quick sale!

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 6:57 PM
That looks great. I love the void and the fact that you ebonized the inside of the piece. I love it!

Allen Neighbors
08-03-2010, 7:16 PM
I love it... the top is unique... and it matches the ebonized inside, through the void. Truly nice work!

Cathy Schaewe
08-03-2010, 7:29 PM
I like it a lot. I'd certainly be proud to have turned it -

Gary Conklin
08-03-2010, 7:30 PM
A very nice piece. You and any potential buyers should know that the Mulberry will turn a dark brown as it ages.

(Picture is not mine)
http://www.nihon-kogeikai.com/GIF/5/5-00002-000-038-00520-S.gif

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 7:38 PM
I like it! I've been working on some vase shapes and finding that they are "not so easy". Especially with "wonky" wood. Nice save too on the rim...

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 8:08 PM
Gary,
Yes, I am aware that Mulberry will turn darker. I have a few pieces that are a year or so old and they are turning a nice bronze brown now.

Gary Conklin
08-03-2010, 8:11 PM
Mine are about 6 mo. and turning nicely too. Ken that really is a very nice piece. I like the form and love voided pieces.

John W Dixon
08-03-2010, 8:18 PM
Ken, that is a sharp looking piece. Good luck at the show Friday.\

John

John Hart
08-03-2010, 8:19 PM
Ken...you've captured an unusual and attractive form in my opinion. The graceful shoulder, into a predominately straight body, but that straight body adds an elegance due to the small foot diameter.

I like it very much.:)

Carl Miller
08-03-2010, 8:39 PM
Really nice, Ken. It seems that any time a turn something, I get some kind of surprise or make a mistake that demands improvisation. You improvised in spades.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Really a sharp and pretty piece.

Norm Zax
08-04-2010, 3:51 AM
Beautiful result with some nice wood! Did you ebonize the hole with spray?

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2010, 5:33 AM
Ken, As I love to turn the stuff with all the voids and cracks and things it is right up my alley! From past experience the more rustic and holey the turning is the faster I sell them! I just sold the art challenge piece and the vase that was made from the same maple burl. So I think you will do well with your creation!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Ken Glass
08-04-2010, 8:27 AM
Norm,
Yes, I sprayed from the top and through the holes also. I used a fast drying lacquer paint. The inside was not as smooth as I wanted because parts of it chunk-ed off because of decay. I did get it down to all solid inside though.

All,
Thanks for all the positive comments. I hope it will catch someone's fancy Friday night.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Ken - Man - don't know how I missed this one! Beautiful vase! Love the wood, the voids and the contemporary form! Really, really nice work! Best of luck with your sales!

Thom Sturgill
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I am not overly fond of straight sides, but this piece does work. I LIKE the ebonizing on the inside and the void adds tremendous interest. Nice save on he collar. Hope it sells well for you.