PDA

View Full Version : Purple Leaf plum

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 5:39 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is a piece I turned this week out of a semi-wet piece of Purple Leaf Plum I had cut down in the yard this spring. It is 10-1/2" across and 5" overall height. I wouldn't stop shape shifting as fruit woods do sometimes or with me almost all the time. The pedestal is Holly that I Ebonized. It is finished wth 5 coats of antique oil and buffed. Thanks for looking and yopur comments are always welcome.

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 5:42 PM
I think it's very nice. I love the colors in that wood, and the shape is nice as well. I think a piece that nice deserves more than one photo.:D

James Combs
08-03-2010, 5:43 PM
Neat, I like it. Do you think it will shape shift anymore? How about some topdown or bottom up photos.

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 6:03 PM
I already took the photo tent down to make room for something else.
It is up for sale this weekend at the Art Hop downtown, where I will be the featured Artist. (Term used very broadly.) I hope it and about 20 other pieces sell. I do have about 25-30 Wine Stoppers to show and they usually sell well.

John Keeton
08-03-2010, 6:32 PM
Ken, that is an exceptionally nice piece! I like the character of the wood, and the color. Good luck on the show!

David Christopher
08-03-2010, 6:42 PM
Ken, that is a beautiful piece.....well done

Allen Neighbors
08-03-2010, 7:13 PM
Magnifique!!! Real Art!

Richard Madden
08-03-2010, 7:21 PM
Very nice. I like. I too wish you'd show more photos. I take it from the picture that you included the pith. Did you drill it out and plug it, or just leave it?

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 7:26 PM
Richard,
Yes, I left in the pith, and yes, its end grain. . It just didn't look like a form that would have looked right plugged. Of course, it may not be done moving and checking, but I did soak it in oil for a few days after roughing, so we will see.

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 7:42 PM
That's a really nice piece of work. It makes me think of those "freeze frame" photos that capture a water splash just as a stone or something hits.

John W Dixon
08-03-2010, 8:35 PM
Ken , very nice. Where is the show held at in Jacksonville? Might try to get by there.

John

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Ken that is beautiful. Really a nice piece. I like the form.

Ken Glass
08-03-2010, 10:39 PM
John,
The show is on the Jacksonville square, which is really torn up because we are reversing the urban renewal done in the 70's. We are putting it back to a time when you could drive all the way around the square and park close to everything. The Art Hop is on Friday 8-6-10 from 5-8 PM. I will be at the SW corner at Cheryl Kelley's studio. There will be wine and refreshments. By all means, stop by and say hi. There are 4 other locations with a featured Artist's at each spot. I am the only one with turnings, but there are some really good artist's there also.

Quinn McCarthy
08-04-2010, 9:20 AM
Ken,

That is so cool looking.

Wonderful job.

Quinn

charlie knighton
08-04-2010, 9:38 AM
very nice....

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Ken - I can see why you are the featured artist for this coming show! Beautiful work once again! Great color and flow to the piece!

Looking forward to hearing how your show went! Photos would help tell the story!

Steve Mawson
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Ken,
Really nice piece, hope you don't mind the picture going in my file. Heard that they were going to put the square back to a square. Might be coming to Jville later this month. Will have to go to the square and look around. Should have had a 45 year class reunion this year but guess no one wanted to plan it. Good luck on the Art Show-Sale. Give us an update after it's over.

Jon Lanier
08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I do believe I like it. Nice thought on the pedestal... makes it stand out.