PDA

View Full Version : Color fill oak or walnut plaques ?

Kasey Maxwell
08-03-2010, 5:35 PM
I'm experimenting with making laser engraved plaques and I'd like to color fill the letters, if I add paint it soaks in and bleeds, someone told me to use "Kilz Latex" but that is quite hard to apply without having it go on the outside of the letters and make a mess, is there a clear spray coat I could apply after the engraving to seal the wood and then paint with a brush the letters so it won't bleed then a clear sealer coat to finish it ?

eH ? :D

Thanks

Gary Hair
08-03-2010, 6:28 PM
I'm experimenting with making laser engraved plaques and I'd like to color fill the letters, if I add paint it soaks in and bleeds, someone told me to use "Kilz Latex" but that is quite hard to apply without having it go on the outside of the letters and make a mess, is there a clear spray coat I could apply after the engraving to seal the wood and then paint with a brush the letters so it won't bleed then a clear sealer coat to finish it ?

eH ? :D

Thanks

You can use a paint mask and your problems are solved. Laser through the mask, paint, remove the mask - done!

Gary

Kasey Maxwell
08-03-2010, 7:00 PM
what would be the best paint for that, the laser bits pro color fill or another type of thick paint like that ?

Mike Null
08-03-2010, 9:59 PM
I agree with Gary on the walnut but on oak you may run into some bleeding of color into the grain. I would recommend a liquid floor wax to seal the lasered portion before applying color fill.

Bill Cunningham
08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
If the colour is 'black' use Turtle wax color cure. Just brush it on and in, let it dry, and wipe it off the surface parts. It won't bleed, and comes off finished wood very easy.

Mark Winlund
08-04-2010, 8:26 AM
We were doing this in the 70's with oak. the trick is to use non compatible materials. Clear spray lacquer over the engraved text to seal the wood. Then black (or colored) latex (waterbased) brushed into the lettering. Dry well, then a trip to the belt sander to clean it up. Finally, another coat of clear lacquer and you're done.

Mark

Terry Swift
08-04-2010, 3:51 PM
Mark,

Wouldn't masking take the belt sanding out of the picture? If you mask, engrave, then use the clear and paint - remove tape and wallah - you're done except a cover coat of clear again on all the wood.

That's my way of thinking, instead of sanding; as I hate having to sand after doing the engraving and painting part.

I may be totally wrong and that's okay; as I'm here to learn from the Pros.