PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Pen Exchange Pictures

Tom Henry
08-03-2010, 4:08 PM
Please post all your pen exchange pictures in this thread.

Thanks
Tom

Dave Wagner
08-04-2010, 5:51 PM
Tom Henry's pens to me. Very Nice. Thank you!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=3748

Ryan ParkerNJ
08-06-2010, 3:40 PM
Doug Swanson's Pen to me
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/LbIfisherman429/32c0dd4f.jpg

Tom Wilson66
08-08-2010, 10:09 PM
This pen was sent me by Dennis Kranz. Saturn kit with Amboyna burl from Woodturningz. Like it a lot.

Peter Hay in Aus
08-10-2010, 9:08 PM
Mike sent me advice my pen to him is with him as well as some Pen Blankks as from yesterday, since he is tied up photo of the pen made from 3000 yrs old Huon Pine Burl attached.

Regards Peter.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2010, 9:30 PM
Very pretty pen Peter.

Is that type of pine seen in New Zealand as well?

Peter Hay in Aus
08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Ken, The Huon Pine is only found in Tasmania the Island State South of Australia and grows only mm,s per year. One of my favourites.

Peter.:D

Gary Nicholls
08-12-2010, 8:39 AM
Here are the pens That David Warkentin received. A Jr. Majestic fountain pen with a heritence flex nib. The pen is closed end and made from casein with black acrylic accent bands. The "girly" pen is a gift to Davids wife and is a slim made from polymer clay using canes from Toni in New Zealand.

michael gallagher
08-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, now giving up one of your polymer clay pen blanks from Tony in NZ is impressive! David, i will tell you those are a hot commodity over at the IAP website!

Gary, nice job on both!

Here are the pens That David Warkentin received. A Jr. Majestic fountain pen with a heritence flex nib. The pen is closed end and made from casein with black acrylic accent bands. The "girly" pen is a gift to Davids wife and is a slim made from polymer clay using canes from Toni in New Zealand.

Gary Nicholls
08-13-2010, 1:35 PM
Wow, now giving up one of your polymer clay pen blanks from Tony in NZ is impressive! David, i will tell you those are a hot commodity over at the IAP website!

Gary, nice job on both!

Michael, thank you for the compliment. I buy the canes from Toni in NZ and make my own blanks. I have become very good friends with Toni and she has taught me a lot. I was one of "Darth Toni's" first victims lured over to the dark side of pc on the IAP, lol. And yes, they are a hot commodity all over.

Jeff Belany
08-13-2010, 2:35 PM
Wasn't sure who is supposed to post pix since this is my first Pen Exchange but it looks like it works both ways.

So, here is the pen I made for David Walser. Not the greatest photos, I just took them at my desk. It is a copper Sierra turned with Walnut. The wood is old growth timber recovered from underwater in the Great Lakes. It sank while being floated to mills 100+ years ago. The darker photo is a better match to the color but the lighter photo shows the figure better. Not a flashy pen but has some nice figure. Hope David likes it.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Jody Amerson
08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Sorry for the terrible photos because they do not do this pen justice. Jr Gentleman II with redwood burl received from Thom Sturgill. Thanks Thom, it is a great looking pen and writes very good too and appreciate the box that you sent it in (wish I would have thought of that when I sent yours)!

Thom Sturgill
08-14-2010, 12:54 PM
And here's the pen I got from Jody Amerson. Wall Street kit from Woodcraft, not sure what the blank is - palm maybe? I challenged Jody to step up fom the slimlines and try something new and he came through in spades!

Jody Amerson
08-14-2010, 1:09 PM
Thom - Sorry but forgot to mention that the wood is wenge, getting forgetful as I get older:confused:

The tips you gave me on the finish helped a lot and I'll keep working at it for a smoother finish, thanks for the encouragement to try something new.

David E Keller
08-14-2010, 3:28 PM
Thom - Sorry but forgot to mention that the wood is wenge, getting forgetful as I get older:confused:

The tips you gave me on the finish helped a lot and I'll keep working at it for a smoother finish, thanks for the encouragement to try something new.

It's the spitting image of marblewood. Is it really wenge?

It doesn't really matter because it looks great!

Jody Amerson
08-14-2010, 4:01 PM
It's the spitting image of marblewood. Is it really wenge?

It doesn't really matter because it looks great!

Thanks for the compliment and you know what, I assumed it was wenge because that was what I wrote on it. Since I made an assumption I guess you know what that makes me! I bought it with three other pieces and may have got them mixed up. I'll try to look at the others when I get home.

Larry Dice
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I thought it looked like marblewood also. I thought wenge was a little darker. The true test if is marblewood is to find out how hard it was to turn. It's name says it all.

George Morris
08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
A beautiful pen I received from Ron Fox. This is a beauty! The Pen is made from Bocote,Bird's eye maple,african black wood and purple heart! Ron also was nice to send me some blanks! He does grest work!

Thanks Ronald! Also Thanks Tom for setting this up!

George Morris

Andy Sowers
08-16-2010, 1:57 AM
Yup... I received TWO pens from David Keller this week. 'Turns' out (pun intended:)) my wife also wanted to participate in the exchange but she didn't get her SMC account setup in time to make the deadline for the name pairings. David graciously agreed to turn two pens in exchange for one made by me and one by my wife.

Anyway, here's the two pens... a elegant beauty for Darci dressed in box elder burl:

And a really cool Aspen burl on a vail kit.

Both have quickly become favorites. Thanks a bunch David… your pens are being mailed out tomorrow!!

Andy

Thom Sturgill
08-16-2010, 7:43 AM
Thanks for the compliment and you know what, I assumed it was wenge because that was what I wrote on it. Since I made an assumption I guess you know what that makes me! I bought it with three other pieces and may have got them mixed up. I'll try to look at the others when I get home.

David's right - it got to be marblewood. I just compared it to a piece I turned some time ago. That explains the light/dark stripes.

David Walser
08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Jeff Belany sent me this delightful pen with a couple of extra blanks thrown in for good measure. I'm not sure which kit Jeff used nor am I sure of the species of wood. Update: Jeff says, "It is a copper Sierra turned with Walnut." The wood has an interesting history, its reclaimed from logs that sank on the way to the sawmill over 100 years ago. 100 years on the bottom of the lake and now in my pen! Pretty cool, no? The two blanks Jeff sent along are, I believe, of similar vintage and origin. One is Maple and the other is oak. They're both jumbo blanks and I'll have to find an extra special use for them.

Here are the pictures:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=395&pictureid=3794

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=395&pictureid=3793

David Walser
08-17-2010, 12:47 AM
...Hope David likes it.

David does like it. Very much. Thank you.

Your pen was mailed today.

Gary Nicholls
08-19-2010, 9:01 PM
Here is my swap pen from David Warkentin. A Jr. Gent black ti. dressed in walnut crotch with a satin finish. It is a beauty. Fit and finish are top notch. This one will go in my office on permanent display. Thank you David.

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 4:16 PM
Here are a couple of beautiful pens I was lucky enough to receive in my exchange with Andy and Darci Sowers.

WOW!

Both pens are beautifully made... The fit and finish of each is spot on. With the segmenting, it's pretty obvious that a lot of time and attention went into making these. If I'm not mistaken, neither of them has been turning pens for very long making these pens even more amazing.

The sierra is made from ebony, flamewood, and maple(Andy's), and the cigar(Darci's) is figured camphor with construction paper and camphor segments for the celtic knot.

I couldn't be happier with both pens. Thank you both!

Doug W Swanson
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Here is the pen that I received from Ryan Parker (Ryan ParkerNJ).

I don't remember the species but it is a very nice looking burl. The pen turned out beautifully.

Thanks again Ryan!

Doug

Jeff Belany
08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I received not one but two beautiful pens from David Walser in the Pen Exchange. Both of Mesquite, Sierra Elegant Beautys -- and they were beautiful!! Didn't really expect 2 pens but they will look nice in my collection.

This was my first Pen Exchange and it was fun. Look forward to the next one.

Thanks David.

Jeff Belany

Mack Cameron
08-26-2010, 10:22 AM
My pen arrived a couple of days ago, but life got in the way to get my pic posted. Anyway here it is!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=159517&stc=1&d=1282832034
Matt describes it as a Jr. Gent. (It looks very similar to a Baron, as I know it). It comes with a cert. of auth. certifying the wood comes from a barrel stave from the Jack Daniels Distillery. That could change me from a Jim Beam man to a Jack Daniel's guy.:D

I don't much concern myself about the copyright infringement (if there really is any). Jack Daniels will never see the pen!

Thanks so much Matt! Your pen is # 11 in my treasure of pen swaps.

Belton Garvin
08-28-2010, 2:17 PM
Finished my swap with Dave Hauch. We timed it just right and both of us received our pens the same day. I received a beautiful Satin silver cigar wrapped in Buffalo horn. Along with the pen we also swapped blanks. The assortment I received were, Corncob, Birdseye Maple, Cedar, 2-tone Birdseye Maple, Paduak, Zebrawood (angle cut), Walnut, Lacewood, Tulipwood, and a nice straight piece of Antler. The pictures don't do the pen justice. There is a small silver "grain" in the buffalo horn that I couldn't get to come out in the pictures. Another successful swap!

Dave Haughs
08-29-2010, 6:35 PM
As Belton said we timed the shipping just right!

I received this beautiful cigar pen wrapped in a beautiful Black Ash Burl. Along with the pen we also exchanged blanks. In order from left to right in the photo: 100 year old Heart Pine, Zebrawood, Red Palm, Red Malley, Buckeye Burl, Black Palm, Red Heart, Brazilian Tigerwood, Pam Amarillo, Black Ash Burl.

This was my first pen exchange, but certainly not my last!

Matt Ranum
08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
This is what I got in exchange from Mack Cameron. Looks to me like its a Sedona, with a beautiful finish and surprise..even engraved with my name!! Guess the Mrs. can't lay claim to it now. :D

Never held one before but sure feels nice in the hand. I'm going to have to make some of these, nice balance to it.

Some very nice attractive blanks were sent as well. Awfully generous Mack! Never used most of these before, and will be fun to play with some new material for a change.

Thanks again!! :D:D

Maria Alvarado
08-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Received my pen from Mike today and boy is it a beauty! Myrtlewood with segmented detail wrapped around a titanium Jr. Gent and the silkiest smoothest satin finish I have ever seen.
The lighter bands of figure really shimmer (I believe the word of the week is "chatoyance").
Here is a close-up of the segmenting.

All in all a lovely pen and another happy swappee.
Thanks Mike!

Bobby McCarley
08-31-2010, 3:13 PM
I recieved my pen from Kurt Barker Saturday. It was a very nicely done Wall Street II in wenge. He also included several purpleheart and yellowheart glue up blanks, as we liver in LSU Tiger country. My pen to him was a Jr. Gentleman in a buckeye burl and I made him a flip box to display it in. He got it Monday and was very pleased.

Mark Hix
08-31-2010, 8:23 PM
I am now the proud new owner of not one, but two Mike Svoma pens. He said in his note to me that the two were his first Europeans. They look and feel like he has been making them for a while.

He sent a Hickory and an Antler. Antler pens are some of my favorites and both are now treasured parts of my collection.

The first photo is what the box looked like when I opened it. I love presents. The red boxes still make me smile. The Hickory pen is next. I included 2 photos of the Antler pen because both sides look great. Did you notice the shine? The last picture is the extras: spalted maple, hickory, east india rosewood and a large block of cherry.

Thanks Mike, they are great.

Mike Svoma
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I recieved this pen from Mark Hix while I was out of town for the week. I was quite pleased when I returned home last night to open the package and see it. It is a beautiful, Jr Gentleman wrapped in olivewood with a CA finish. Great job, Mark.

He also included a honey mesquite blank and a mescal bean (Texas Mountain Laurel) blank. BONUS!!!!!!!

Thanks, Mark

Mike Marmon
09-03-2010, 4:51 PM
I had the pleasure of having Maria Alvarado as my pen swap partner. I received the pen she made on Wednesday. It is a Titanium Jr. Gent with Coolibrah burl, with a very nice CA finish applied in daunting Georgia humidity. Maria also threw in some nice blanks for me to try, all of which are new to me. The pen has taken up residence on my desk as my new daily user. Thanks again Maria for the pen.

And thanks to Tom for organizing this years swap, this is the second year that I have participated and I really enjoy it.

Don Nicholas
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank you very much for the pens that you sent.
Mike made the Cigar pen from gasket material, very inovative and the Vertex pen from an unknown wood.
Thank you for a fine set of pens, very well done

Karl Card
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I am very happy that everyone else got to take pictures. I made two pens just in case one wasnt quite par maybe the other one would be.
But I never got a pen or an address where to send my pens and what makes it worse is no reason as to why.

I really hesitated as to saying anything about this but then it finally just got me ticked off.

Cindy Navarro
09-17-2010, 2:32 AM
Received a beautiful blue truestone pen from Jon Lanier. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Jon Lanier
09-18-2010, 9:52 PM
Hi, Just received these from Cindy Navarro. a pen in Diamond wood and a few other little goodies. How sweet.

john l graham
09-20-2010, 5:16 PM
I received a package from Michael Gallagher quite a while back. I finally got one off to him just recently. Here is what he graciously sent to me. I have not even heard of some of the wood blanks he sent. Thanks Michael for being so generous. John

Mike Svoma
10-03-2010, 4:47 PM
Tom,

Has the exchange list been fulfilled yet? Let me know if anyone was unable to complete the exchange and I can send a pen or two out.

Mike

James Combs
10-12-2010, 9:18 PM
Jim Mahan and i exchanged pens and we both were late in getting them done but they are finally shipped. Today I received this Sedona from Jim. It is dressed in Brown Malee Burl, from Australia. A beautiful pen dressed in some beautiful wood. Jim included with the pen several exotic blanks that included a certificate of authenticity. I'll have to ask him what the one on the far left is thought because it is not part of the identified group.

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate the pen and the blanks.:cool:

David E Keller
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM
... I'll have to ask him what the one on the far left is thought because it is not part of the identified group...

It looks like parallam(the laminated construction material)... I've seen some cool pens made from it, and it takes dye well from what I understand.

Jim Mahan
10-13-2010, 9:41 PM
From James to Jim. Here is James Coombs bullet pen I received in the pen swap. My JROTC instructors are making me make them pens like this now. Thanks James :p. Not the greatest picture, but a very great pen.

James Combs
10-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Just a quick note. My posting for the pen Jim gave me has the pen misidentified. It is a Navigator not a Sedona.