PDA

View Full Version : Non-Raised Panels?

Glen Blanchard
08-03-2010, 3:40 PM
Isn't there a style of furniture that uses cope and stick architecture without the panel being raised? Is this an Arts & Crafts style? Whatever it is, does it even require routing the rails and stiles or does one merely place a groove to receive the panel? What is the typical thickness of such a panel?

Lee Schierer
08-03-2010, 3:48 PM
I'm not sure of a particular style, but flat panels are fairly common. I've seen them set in rabbets from the back and from the front with moldings nailed or glued in place to hold them in. You can cut grooves a number of ways with a router or table saw.

Chris Friesen
08-03-2010, 3:50 PM
You might look at Shaker, Mission, Craftsman, and Arts&Crafts furniture styles. Some of these use panels raised on the inside, or thicker panels with a rabbet around the edge.

Whether the rails/styles have a profile other than square is up to you (within the style guidelines). Often Shakers used a thumbnail profile around the panel to reduce dust buildup.

As for thickness, that would normally depend on the size of the panel. Once you get large enough, it starts feeling "thin" or "hollow". 1/4" for smallish panels, maybe up to 3/8" or even 1/2" for larger panels.

Frank Drew
08-03-2010, 4:29 PM
Glen,

I don't think flat panels are considered particular to one era or style of furniture, but I like them and like to dress them up with bolection moulding.

The typical raised panel is a nice look but perhaps has been overused by now, and really isn't the best choice if you're going for a more modern looking frame and panel.

Caleb Larru
08-03-2010, 5:07 PM
Isn't there a style of furniture that uses cope and stick architecture without the panel being raised? Is this an Arts & Crafts style? Whatever it is, does it even require routing the rails and stiles or does one merely place a groove to receive the panel? What is the typical thickness of such a panel?

I just made some kitchen cabinets for a friend of mine who really liked the look of bead board. I used my freud rail and stile bits and used 1/4" mdf bead board for the panels. I have also cut the tenons and grooves on the table saw but I prefer to rout them.

Dan Karachio
08-03-2010, 5:19 PM
I was going to say Shaker, but Chris got all the styles that fit. I like it myself, quite a bit and my kitchen doors were made that way (by me). I made another cabinet and book shelves with un-raised panels and a little molding really made it "pop" in a nice way. Bead board is a nice idea too. Now I am thinking about it.

Gene Howe
08-03-2010, 6:29 PM
Glen,

I don't think flat panels are considered particular to one era or style of furniture, but I like them and like to dress them up with bolection moulding.

The typical raised panel is a nice look but perhaps has been overused by now, and really isn't the best choice if you're going for a more modern looking frame and panel.

I've seen a lot of bolection on wainscoting, but not on cabinet doors. Do you use a style/size that does not protrude beyond the frame? Sounds like it would be classy looking.

Joe Chritz
08-05-2010, 12:58 AM
I like to use regular stile/rail cutters and use either 1/4" sheet stock if I can get it in true 1/4" thickness. For painted projects I like to backcut 3/8" MDF and when I use solid wood for panels I resaw 4/4 into whatever thickness I can reasonably get.

You can make a simple "shaker" style door with stub tenons on the tablesaw.

Edit: P.S. It would be called a flat or recessed panel door as opossed to a raised panel. A slab door would be a solid panel all 3/4" thick. You would also have square doors, arched doors and cathedral (and others) with raised or recessed panels. Clear as mud?

Joe