PDA

View Full Version : Do The Vikings Have A Quarterback?

Phyllis Meyer
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
3rd times a charm? Great player, go home, make millions, get offered that commentary job, enjoy family and relax! #4...you are a great one!

Phyllis:)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2010, 1:13 PM
Phyllis,

Don't be starting any wars here......Okay?

The Vikings I'm sure have several quarterbacks. It's a requirement to field a team.

Was there any one in particular to which you were referring?

Phyllis Meyer
08-03-2010, 1:33 PM
I don't mean no disrespect or anything like that...we WI folks know what it's like to have to wait for decisions:(

David Weaver
08-03-2010, 1:59 PM
He'll be back - it's probably just a ploy to avoid having to work out in spring training.

Of course, he'll probably poop out mid season or in the playoffs because of his age, but he'll draw a lot of fans in the meantime.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2010, 2:35 PM
Phyllis,

Don't be starting any wars here......Okay?

The Vikings I'm sure have several quarterbacks. It's a requirement to field a team.

Was there any one in particular to which you were referring?

Apparently not, several teams last year used a wildcat play with no QB.....You don't even need a full complement of players, you just can't have too many on teh field at once.

Neal Clayton
08-03-2010, 8:01 PM
He'll be back - it's probably just a ploy to avoid having to work out in spring training.

Of course, he'll probably poop out mid season or in the playoffs because of his age, but he'll draw a lot of fans in the meantime.

fan draw doesn't win super bowls.

drew brees wins super bowls.

;)

Paul McGaha
08-03-2010, 9:47 PM
I think he'll be back. He had a great year last year that ended on a sour note.

I'm reading though he has a problem with his ankle.

We'll see.

Greg Peterson
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I think he'll be back. He had a great year last year that ended on a sour note.

I'm reading though he has a problem with his ankle.

We'll see.

He's had more than his share of sour endings.

Don't get me wrong, he was a joy to watch when he was in the green and gold. But he was a wildcard. Sometimes he was a hero, others a zero. But he always gave it his all. And he loved to play the game. That's how I remember him.

Brian Elfert
08-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I'll believe Brett Favre is retired once the Vikings play their last game of the season and Brett hasn't played.

The website that had the Brett Favre retirement rumor today was absolutely slammed for a while this morning.

Paul Ryan
08-04-2010, 2:07 PM
The old gray beard will be wearing a purple #4 jersey by the time the season starts, I can almost guarantee it. The media outlets completely ran with nothing yesterday. As the day progress those that had been in contact with Favre reported that he had not made any decision yet. Which means I just don't want to participate in training camp. Someone took a text message from the gray beard that only said "this is it" to mean he was not going to play this season. I think in 2 weeks we will know and he will be suited up. If not I wont believe he is retired until the season is over.

The cheese heads in cheese land are still spited from him and are praying to the cheese gods that he doesn't return. For that matter I think the other 31 NFL teams hope he doesn't return. We got robbed last season so the purple will be back with a vengeance this season.

Phyllis Meyer
08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
There are no words, and I'm not usually speechless!

Go Packers! And I will secretly be watching the MN games, I love a good story and he is definately a good story!

Neal Clayton
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
how are booty and webb developing? i gotta think this is the last year for favre, and when he's out i sincerely hope tavaris jackson isn't back in.

also, lol (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/350651/august-18-2010/brett-favre-returns-to-football)

David Weaver
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
There are no words, and I'm not usually speechless!

Go Packers! And I will secretly be watching the MN games, I love a good story and he is definately a good story!

I told you guys. :D

He'll be back next year, too, despite saying that he's not coming back after season 20. If he says he might come back the following year, they might expect him to work out in training camp.

He'll retire when Joe Paterno retires.

That said, it doesn't seem like training camp does him any good - he looked better last year without doing it, and he's probably not gone at it that hard in training camp for years, right?

Here in the 'burgh, there is at least one star who comes up with "minor injuries" in training camp each year, but he has no reason to even play in it unless they want to see if the offensive guys can beat him.

Kent A Bathurst
08-19-2010, 1:04 PM
Yeah, they got a quarterback - He left the Iceland Volcanos [coached by his father "Red"] and captained the Greenland Renegades in 1002 - '04 and led them to the Far Northeast division championship game. He then retired momentarily before being signed by the Newfoundland Newfies for the '05- '06 season, playing out of L'Anse aux Meadows. There really wasn't much competition in that league, so he went back to the Greenland team for a couple years. Never again heard from after that, but the legend lives on that he is still out there slinging harpoons 60 cubits into the frozen tundra.

http://www.farwellian.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/leif.erikson.jpg

Paul Ryan
08-19-2010, 5:42 PM
how are booty and webb developing? i gotta think this is the last year for favre, and when he's out i sincerely hope tavaris jackson isn't back in.

also, lol (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/350651/august-18-2010/brett-favre-returns-to-football)

Neal,

Booty isn't with the Vikes anymore they cut him last year last cut of training camp. He cleared wavers too, which means no one wanted him. I heard he was working out for the Texans this year though. The saints may find themselves with Sage. Word is they are looking for another backup, but I think the Vikes want a 5th round pick for him.

Webb is a very raw athlete. Who knows, I predict McNabb on the purple team next year.

Neal Clayton
08-19-2010, 7:55 PM
mcnabb is no spring chicken either. i can't fathom why they aren't looking harder for QB prospects after being put through the favre roller coaster every year.

edit: yes i can, why not lay it all out there. the vikings management is MIA and brad childress is incompetent.

sending a threatening letter to a player with a non-football medical problem who is also in the process of burying his recently deceased grandmother, just like they did three years ago (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/14582/mystery-growing-with-percy-harvin)

calling out adrian peterson for attending the parade his hometown organized to honor him, to the press (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-Peterson-brad-childress-irked-061110)

all of which gives alot of weight to the rumors that it took players to get favre to play again, childress couldn't get him back on his own because the players don't respect him (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/438482-brett-favre-brad-childress-shows-double-standard-by-allowing-him-back)

the only reason brad childress isn't fired already is brett favre. we all saw the inner turmoil when they lost home field while the saints struggled through injuries. they had one quality road win all year long (cleveland, lions, rams, green bay was the only win on the road against a playoff team), scheduling luck had as much to do with their record as quality play did. this year they have saints, jets, patriots, redskins, eagles on the road outside of the division. they don't win all 5 of those. they go 2-3 at best, probably more like 1-4 in those games. if they split with the packers and bears again, this is probably a 10/6 team.

and that's why they have these conflicts with players over training camp. of course receivers don't want to show if brett favre isn't there. they aren't stupid, they know this is the end of the line for this current team, after this year favre is gone and the vikings are back to 8-8 or 9-7, which is the best brad childress can do. and they know that when that day comes brad childress will be throwing them under the bus for the team's failures, just like he's done before.

i can sympathize, i watched a long string of bad coaches in new orleans before sean payton fell in our lap. but you don't see staints players speaking ill of sean payton to reporters in pre season. you do see that from vikings players talking about brad childress, and i think with good reason.

Paul Ryan
08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree with the fact that McNabb isn't a spring chicken either. The vikings team is getting older and older. Personally I think this is the year if they are going to do it. They have a lot of contracts that are up this year, and a bunch of other guys that are on the verge of retirement. 2 years from now will be rebuilding I think.

I dont think there was any reason to go out of their way for a QB this year. They weren't going to go after Bradford and after that none of the other QB's impressed them. So there was no reason to draft one just to draft one. They did draft Webb who more than likely wont pan out. Tom Bradys dont come along very often. If they pick up McNabb next year and sign him to 3 years that gives them a couple of more years to find the next QB to take over.

What bugs me the most is it has really been decades since the Vikings have had a franchise QB. Tommy Kramer is the last one I can remember and he had his problems. Daunte Culpepper was decent but the knee injury ended his career. Just once it would be nice to come along with an Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flaco, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Tom Brady. I leave out Peton Manning because he was expected to be elite right out of college. And I think he is an different league because he has turned out, was a #1 over all pick, and has been elite for 10 years.

I never had a problem with the Favre's schrades this year. What would have bugged me is if he would have waited until a week before the opener. In case you don't know ;) , one of the biggest games of the season for the purple and defending SB champs is the 1st one. And in my mind neither team can afford to loose that one. Because there is a good chance it will be a tie breaker game. If Favre would have retired then we would have made due with T-Jack. Even with T-Jack the vikes are an excellent team. But not a super bowl contender right off the bat. The vikings still would not have drafted a QB but may have went after McNabb. But is McNabb that much better than T-Jack? Favre is, but McNabb is only slightly better in my opinion.

I quess we will see, maybe Favre will flop or get hurt and we will see T-Jack. But if our team stays healthy, I believe they are the best team in the NFL.

Jim King
08-19-2010, 10:32 PM
He does nothing but make all of us old farts feel jealous. Good luck to him.

Neal Clayton
08-19-2010, 11:31 PM
talent wise, i don't disagree with the potential of the vikings being a top tier team. but talent isn't enough. if it were dallas wouldn't be such underachievers.

i don't think it's any big mystery that the recent super bowl winners are giants, colts, steelers, patriots, saints, etc.

these teams all have one thing going for them. great front office management, active football knowledgeable owner, or great head coach, or multiples of the above. the saints have two of the three in coaching staff and GM. that's what it took to get them over the hump, as much as the players.

i just don't see that from the vikings, especially with a much more difficult schedule than they had a year ago.

if i had to make a prediction right now, barring unforeseen major injuries, 10/6 or 9/7 and a first round exit to the last division winner, which is probably dallas.

Greg Peterson
08-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Favre had his best season, statistically, last year. And despite that he remained true to his trait and threw an interception at the wrong time in the last game.

The schedule this season is a whole other beast. And I seriously doubt Favre will match his numbers from last season. Can Peterson hold onto the ball and can Favre not throw interceptions at critical junctures of the game?

Meanwhile, the Packers and Rodgers are looking to build on last seasons successes.

This is the last hurrah for the vikings while the Packers are still on ascending.

Paul McGaha
08-20-2010, 4:21 AM
I thought he would be back this year. He and the Vikings had a great year last year. Glad to see the season opener is the Saints and Vikings. Should be a great game.

Several really good teams in the NFC this year. Saints, Vikings, Cowboys, Packers look really good to me. Giants and Falcons might be good. I think the 49ers are on the way back (Really like Coach Singletary).

Curt Harms
08-20-2010, 8:39 AM
Neal,

Webb is a very raw athlete. Who knows, I predict McNabb on the purple team next year.

Quite a few people on the Eagles MB expect that, too. If so, the 'skins gave up a 2nd round draft pick and conditional 3rd/4th for a one year rental.

Curt Harms
08-20-2010, 8:59 AM
Favre had his best season, statistically, last year. And despite that he remained true to his trait and threw an interception at the wrong time in the last game.

I wouldn't expect much different from McNabb. Last year the Eagles did not beat ONE playoff caliber team during the regular season, unless you want to include the Falcons who were without their starting quarterback and best running back. Donovan has great stats and does a great job of not turning the ball over but he spent 10 years in a very quarterback friendly system. Down by 5 points with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter? Tom Brady or Joe Montana (or Brett Favre) he is not.

Dave Verstraete
08-20-2010, 4:17 PM
Quarterback? What's that? In Michigan we are still looking for a team!!

Paul Ryan
08-20-2010, 9:06 PM
these teams all have one thing going for them. great front office management, active football knowledgeable owner, or great head coach, or multiples of the above. the saints have two of the three in coaching staff and GM. that's what it took to get them over the hump, as much as the players.

The vikings have a great from office, owner, and a very good head coach. The owner of the team is the real key. He has alowed the front office to do their thing but hasn't shyed away from writing out the big check when needed. Favre will get $20 million after we win the super bowl this season .I think Childress has gotten a bad rapp for the T-Jack disaster. Childress' record has increased by 2 games every year. Even with the tough schedual I wouldn't be surpised if it did again this year. 14-2 is not out of the question. But dont get me wrong it will be tough. A 10-6 season wouldn't suprise me either. I dont believe big bad Dallas will be so bad. Romo doesn't have what it takes to take a team through the play offs. And unless the O line can protect him better it wont matter. The cheese heads will be tough, but #4 wont loose to them, he wont let it happen, even if we need another Greg Lewis play. But we will see. I maybe wrong but any thing less than the last game of the season in Dallas will be a disapointment.

Paul McGaha
08-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Who dat?

As for last year, Not dem Vikings, Not dem Colts.

As for this year, We'll see.

PHM

Greg Peterson
08-20-2010, 11:39 PM
It's a long, long season. Fortunes can change from good to ill in a single play.

In general, there are a number of teams that could make the SB, barring major injuries. There are some teams that are likely not to make the playoffs. There are one or two teams that will be pathetic.

Unfortunately, I can only tell you who these teams are in late January of next year.

Neal Clayton
08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
and now the vikings have no receivers. sidney rice didn't have surgery he needed after last season, because the vikings refused to pay their #1 receiver more than the 550k he was contracted for in his rookie season, and percy harvin is up in the air with the migraine issues.

Jon Lanier
08-25-2010, 2:35 AM
3rd times a charm? Great player, go home, make millions, get offered that commentary job, enjoy family and relax! #4...you are a great one!

Green Bay fans keep this up and when he goes into the hall of fame it won't be with their Jersey.

Just saying.....

(Go Bengals!)