PDA

View Full Version : Well I don't think it's cherry.....

Josh Bowman
08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Well I finally got down to look closer at a tree, I've been turning bowls from. But I don't know what it is. Anyone have a clue. The leaves are small and it has green berries right now. It's a very big tree with 3 trunks that are coming from the root ball. The wood is very white.

charlie knighton
08-03-2010, 1:42 PM
guess birch, river birch

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2010, 2:48 PM
I agree with Charlie. Birch would be my guess.

Sean Hughto
08-03-2010, 3:27 PM
The leaves and berries sure look a lot like hackberry, but the bark doesn't look right for that. Maybe some subspecies of the common hackberry?

Ernie Nyvall
08-03-2010, 4:01 PM
I agree with Sean on the hackberry. That or sugarberry, and they are very close. I grew up around both and they didn't always have warts on the smaller trees or limbs. Even some of thee big trees (2'-3' diameter) had large patches of bark with no warts. The berries and leaves look right for the hackberry since the sugarberry leaves are usually larger.

Josh Bowman
08-03-2010, 4:09 PM
I did a little research in an Audubon book and it does look like a kind of Hackberry. It's in a park in Dayton Tn. and looks wild. The wood turns nice, kind of like Poplar, but is very white with a kind of pleaseing grain. Anyway it's free and I'm making bowls with it!:D

David E Keller
08-03-2010, 5:32 PM
Hackberry can spalt very nicely FWIW.

James Combs
08-03-2010, 5:49 PM
If it isn't pine, cedar, maple, walnut, cherry, or oak forget it I can't help but I do like the bowl. Nice turning.

Allen Neighbors
08-03-2010, 7:23 PM
Looks like Hackberry to me. If the berries are in clumps of 3 or more on the same twig, it would be Chinaberry... but single berries like that are significant to Hackberry...
However, I, like Sean, think the bark looks somewhat different... not rough enough...
Could be something else, even... does Beech grow berries?

brian watts
08-03-2010, 8:33 PM
The leaves and berries sure look a lot like hackberry, but the bark doesn't look right for that. Maybe some subspecies of the common hackberry?

cut some hackberry not long ago and look just like that..