PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany kitchen table

denis tuomey
08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Have some Hunduran Mahogany from a canceled project, am planning to build a kitchen table, is Mahogany a hard enough wood for this, anyone ever used it for a table top?

Joe Leigh
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I made mine from Mahogany. I was a bit reluctant at first due to the softness but we decided to have a 1/4" glass top made for it and it worked out beautifully. Keep the glass clean and the finish will look perfect indefinitely, and no dents or scratches..

Van Huskey
08-03-2010, 6:57 PM
Adults only it would likely be fine, add kids to the mix and plan on it being "distressed" over time.

denis tuomey
08-05-2010, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the input, thats what I was kinda afraid of due to the softness of the wood, but why, supposedly, is so much furniture made from Mahogany????

Steve Griffin
08-06-2010, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the input, thats what I was kinda afraid of due to the softness of the wood, but why, supposedly, is so much furniture made from Mahogany????

Our dining table is african mahogany, and I have built quite a few for others.

As mentioned before, it holds up fine with adults, but our two year old has beat ours up quite a bit. I can't say I care--it still looks fantastic and now has some memories built in. None of the dings and gashes are very deep.

The reason it is often used is--it's fairly stable, it looks great, it holds it's color well (unlike hickory, which will fade away), it's not oak or maple which many people are tired of, and it used to be fairly cheap. Honduras prices are through the roof now, so you might have something more valuable than you think.

-Steve

Frank Drew
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Have some Hunduran Mahogany... anyone ever used it for a table top?

Ya think? :D

Some Mahogany is soft, but some is really quite hard, and if you have some nice stuff it could look great as a table top; if you finish it naturally (no stain or dye) it can age to be more golden to light copper than dark brown, if that's what you'd like.

but why, supposedly, is so much furniture made from Mahogany???? Because it's arguably the best all-around furniture wood, disregarding today's price and/or availability.