PDA

View Full Version : "El Guapo" Attempts a Lidded Vessel

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 7:34 PM
Claro walnut burl. 9.5" X 9"

This is another one of those things that is "lucky to be alive" since it's creation was obstructed by numerous "unfortunate events". I cut the blank out of a large Claro burl "cap" that was close to six inches thick in the center. It seemed to be "pretty dry" and read right around 15% when stabbed with the moisture meter probes. Not surprisingly, it was not so dry in the center but it seemed like it should still be OK. It started to go out of round almost immediately. This was a "new one" for me. I have had pieces warp once the hollowing process began but I've never had a big solid chunk start to warp that fast. I guess it was from the moisture imbalance between the outside edges and the center. Over the course of several days, I would get it trued up and by the end of the day wit would be warped again. Not a lot but just enough. The result of this process was the loss of around an inch of the O.D. of the piece. I finally got it "pretty close and found a "sweet spot" at around 1800 RPM where it seemed to even out so I hollowed it out. It only ended up being a sixteenth to an eighth out of whack… unnoticeable but enough to preclude a snug fitting lid.

The lid was turned from a "fall down" piece of the same burl. I had a tenon on the end so I could chuck it up to turn the inside. But the grain was weak and it popped right off the tenon. My only option at that point was to mount the lid on small screw center faceplate. But, of course, that did not end up perfectly centered either so the inside of the lid is a bit wonky too. Again, not really noticeable except that I know it's there.

The finial also took two tries because I accidentally "parted off" the end whilst turning the top bulb! Luckily, I had another piece of bubinga. I'm not all that happy with the transition between the lid and the finial so I might try to tweak that a bit yet. I know the "trend" is more toward very dark or black finials but I really like the color of the bubinga.

So anyway, it's another "survivor" and another learning experience (or three!) My wife says it looks "mysterious".

Frank Van Atta
08-02-2010, 7:36 PM
That's one great looking "survivor."

gary Zimmel
08-02-2010, 7:45 PM
Great chunk of wood. Even nicer after you did a little work on it David..
Nice job sir...

David Walser
08-02-2010, 7:49 PM
That's more than a mere attempt. That's a lidded vessel anyone would be proud to have turned. It's very well done.

Allen Neighbors
08-02-2010, 7:52 PM
I like it. I love the wood. I love the shape of the HF. I think the subtle difference between the finial and lid is intriguing. And I think the lid compliments the shape of the body of the form. You've got another keeper, in my book.

Thom Sturgill
08-02-2010, 8:20 PM
Nice form and I love that Claro burl. Not sure about the color match with the Cocobolo though. I don't think I would have gone with black either though. How true is the color in the pictures?

Roger Chandler
08-02-2010, 8:21 PM
really nice figured wood. great form on the body and nice finial. Bubinga and claro walnut ..... I've never seen that combination used before, but I've only been paying attention to turnings for less than a year, so what do I know?

You did a great save, and the form on the finial shows originality. Is that the final finish? A finish that would make the grain "pop" on the claro Walnut burl would just send this to another level.....

Way to go DD! :D

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 8:23 PM
"Is that the final finish?"

It's just a bit of oil. I want to let it dry out completely and then I'll polish it.

John Hart
08-02-2010, 8:44 PM
I like it Dave. You stuck with it and turned out a very handsome piece.

I've been thinking a lot about different species of finials too lately. I was doing a snakewood piece yesterday, before I blew it up....and I thought it would be pretty cool. I'm also thinking about maple. We'll see.

Anyway...I photoshopped a bit and came up with this on the lid-to-finial transistion. Just goofing around

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 8:49 PM
"...I photoshopped a bit and came up with this..."

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Maybe not quite as thin. But there may be a slight "sticky wicket" in that (remember?) the top is slightly out of round. One day this week I'll put it back in the chuck and see if it runs true enough to reshape without looking "wobbly". If it does, I'll stab at it a bit...

Michael James
08-02-2010, 9:03 PM
That's just plain beautiful...there, I said it. As I venture out on the turner's journey, I sense that "not no, but hell no" is the mantra and soundtrack to the truly awesome pieces when things start to head south.
Great job, exquisite chunk of wood and champion stick-to-it-ness. Inspiring!
mj

Curt Fuller
08-02-2010, 9:08 PM
Muy bueno, El Guapo!:rolleyes:

Josh Bowman
08-02-2010, 9:08 PM
David, of course I believe you, but the pictures sure don't revel the imperfections. It seems that not only are you a great turner, but you can certainly hide/repair mistakes well.

David E Keller
08-02-2010, 9:14 PM
Really, really nice. That is one gorgeous piece of wood, and I really like the form. I like the shape of the lid and finial as well. You have obviously gotten the hang of the new monster set-up.

Not a critique but just a thought...I love bubinga, but I'm not sure about the color relative to the rest of the piece. Photos often misrepresent colors, so it may be a perfect match as is. I usually like the look of finials that either pick up on colors in the main form or completely contrast.

Keith Burns
08-02-2010, 9:17 PM
David, you did a wonderful job with this. I love the finial and the form. Other than the transition which you already pointed out, the only thing I see is the foot could be a little smaller. Just a nit pick cause I'm telling you, I really like it !

John Keeton
08-02-2010, 9:18 PM
David, you did a great job - the wood is awesome!! Claro is one of my favorites - always such great figure and color.

One consideration in wood species when I undertake a finial is the ability to get the design I want from the wood chosen. I use African Blackwood a lot because of its density and the ability to get very fine detail from it. It doesn't tend to chatter, and the grain structure is very tight and usually straight. Of course, the darkness is usually compatible with most woods. I have not used many exotics, and others may work as well. I do not like ebony, however.

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 9:23 PM
"... wood species when I undertake a finial..."

Actually I have a few pieces of blackwood on order. I want to give it a "whirl" (at your suggestion). It's one wood I have never worked with so it will be interesting one way or another. I really like rosewood for things like small detailed parts but I just had the bubinga and thought I'd give it a try. I turned some tool handles out of it and I really like the way it cuts. The first one had a lot of really tight curl in the wood but like I said, I whacked it's little head off!

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2010, 9:32 PM
Very well done, David! And a beautiful piece of wood as well.:D

Richard Madden
08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Great job and good save! I like the wood choices...dare to be different. A stark contrast isn't the only way to go. A subtle contrast can work too, and I think it does in this case.

Ted Calver
08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
El Guapo don't need no steeenking blackwood!!! Nicely done David.

James Combs
08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Very nice Dave, I like all of it including the transitions.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
David great job. I really like the wood, form and finish. Finial looks great.

Don Alexander
08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
first thing i learned in this forum was "there ain't no sech thing as a mistake" those pesky lil things are just "design adjustments" :D:D

awesome looking piece of walnut and a rare finial that i actually kinda like not sure about the color alongside the claro but it doesn't fight either so over all a really nice piece

well done Dave

Baxter Smith
08-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Good job on sticking with this. You have a great looking piece. With successful tweaking it could be quite stunning!

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I like it! Love the wood and I also like that your finial is not black! Gives the entire piece a different look!

You can play with the finial and tweak some areas - but I would call it good to go and move on to the next turning!

Very well done! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
"...I would call it good to go and move on..."

That might be the best idea yet...

Michelle Rich
08-03-2010, 6:09 AM
I like this a whole heck of a lot..one of the things that stands out to me is the finial is not black..I like that it isn't. It gives the finished vessel a totally different look. Lovely vessel.

Norm Zax
08-03-2010, 6:35 AM
The result is superb. I especially like the body. The transition, in my eyes, is OK. Id accentuate the difference with a 1/8" slice of holly or maple, just to say "and now for a different wood". Most beholders would think that here, as many wood types do, this piece just has some various hues to it, and fail to recognize another species. Well done.

Tom Sherman
08-03-2010, 7:06 AM
El Guapo rings the bell with this one. Great job holding it all together.

neil mackay
08-03-2010, 7:36 AM
El Guapo done good. :cool:

Jeff Nicol
08-03-2010, 8:12 AM
David, I like it all the way around, no matter how mant times you look at a piece, the creator will be critical of themselves. The majority ot the public see only a beautifully turned piece and would love to have it in their collection of goodies!

Very well done.

Jeff

bob svoboda
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
If you hadn't told us the story I would have thought "Wow, he sure makes it look easy!"
Nice work!

Sean Hughto
08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Muy bonito!

Mark Hubl
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
That burl looks awesome. I have not turned burl but have heard that it will moves like crazy, especially if still a little wet. Great job for the first lidded piece. The finial is very nice. The piece has a characteristic I am too familiar with. The bottom is a bit wide and flat. I still get this result a lot. I think these look better with a nice consistent curve through the bottom and then maybe just a small dimple added to keep it from rocking, or a small foot. On finials that are a different species, and not black, I like when there is some of the vessel wood incorporated into the finial. I think it is a nice touch, albeit more work.

Really a nice piece using some difficult wood and some good recoveries. Well done.

Joe Herrmann
08-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Absolutely Gorgeous!

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 11:44 AM
"The bottom is a bit wide and flat..."

This is something that I am "playing with". I'm not really fond of the very small footprint that you see on so many turnings. I'm sure it's "just me" but often times they appear to be so small that the piece looks unstable. On the other hand, too wide a foot and the piece looks kind of squat and "smashed down". Trying to find "just the right" proportions is very challenging.

Sean Hughto
08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I think it's hard to judge such proportions from photographs as the camera flattens out the form so much that it distorts what one would actually perceive in person.

Tim Rinehart
08-03-2010, 11:57 AM
"The bottom is a bit wide and flat..."

This is something that I am "playing with". I'm not really fond of the very small footprint that you see on so many turnings. I'm sure it's "just me" but often times they appear to be so small that the piece looks unstable. On the other hand, too wide a foot and the piece looks kind of squat and "smashed down". Trying to find "just the right" proportions is very challenging.

First, great looking piece...I'd love to try some claro, esp the burl.

I have to agree, I'm not as crazy about the small footprints for stability...but the forms seem to gravitate there whenever turning, for visual aesthetics. Perhaps that's what has driven many to provide a stand to support the turning, which couldn't stand on its own. Oh well, if art...anything goes I suppose.

I had to laugh after googling "el guapo"...oh how modest you are DD.

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
"...oh how modest you are DD..."

Yes... and patient too...:rolleyes:

Rob Cunningham
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Outstanding work David. Nice form, beautiful wood and I really like the soft satin finish.

charlie knighton
08-03-2010, 1:46 PM
very nice, i like wonky pieces