PDA

View Full Version : I guess this is a gloat

Andrew Gibson
08-02-2010, 6:23 PM
I got a box from lee valley today.
in the box was a new a2 iron for my #7, a 1200 grit waterstone, and some of their green honing compound.

I am excited because I have wanted a new iron for my #7 for a long time and there were always tings I needed more. The thing that makes this purchase even sweater is that the money came from selling something I made... just an Adirondack chair, but I made a profit on it :D.

The 1200 grit stone is a king and I decided to get it because i was not happy with the step between my 800 and 4000 grit stones. The 1200 fits perfectly between the two.

The A2 LV iron was perfectly flat when it arrived. Maybe 6 strokes on the 800 stone proved that.
spent a few minutes flatening/polishing the back of the iron. I did a few swipes with the green stuff on some mdf and I think I am in love. I can see that a true mirror polish is now within my reach.

I am looking forward to tamorrow when I will finishing polishing the back of the iron and hone its edge. Then finally have a chance to use my Great Great Grandfathers Plane as it was meant to be used.

Jim Koepke
08-03-2010, 2:31 AM
Pictures of shavings, we want pictures of shavings!

jim

David Christopher
08-03-2010, 8:22 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=156976&d=1280283372 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=156976&d=1280283372)

Will Boulware
08-03-2010, 9:51 AM
^ what he said. PICS!!!!:D

Andrew Gibson
08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess I will have to post some pics later.

Andrew Gibson
08-03-2010, 3:03 PM
So after some polishing, sharpening, and feting I have a beautiful #7. I think the frog is from another plane, but after a little work the the mouth and the depth adjuster the iron seats very nicely and takes nice shavings. There are still a few scratches in the iron back but I think they will work out after a few sharpenings, and there are none that I can see within a few mm of the edge.

now for the pics...
I think my grandfather would be proud.

Jake Rothermel
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
ooooooh, pretty....

Jim Koepke
08-04-2010, 1:15 PM
Nice camera:)

jim

Gary Hodgin
08-04-2010, 1:45 PM
Nice pics, nice plane, nice shavings. Congratulations!

Scott Stafford
08-04-2010, 2:56 PM
All this talk about shavings and pictures.... Did everyone here miss the major gloat?

Andrew built a chair, sold it... and made a profit!

There are lots of woodworkers out there that can't make that claim these days. I'm proud of you Andrew. Congratulations!

BTW... nice shavings!

Scott in Montana

Rick Markham
08-04-2010, 5:58 PM
Good lookin' Iron ya got there! Ron Brese would be proud of that polished back, seems you learned well! I know I benefited greatly from his tips on sharpening.

Congrats on selling the Adirondack chair, I really liked your design! You deserved to make money on that, and it went to a good home too. :D When I make a box for someone, sometimes it's a little hard to let it go, even though it was made for them with a lot of love.