PDA

View Full Version : Bath cabinet finished! with final pics!

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 9:03 AM
Finally complete with pics.
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yesterday I finished the drawer. I used maple for the sides and found a piece of quilted Shedua for the front. The bottom is also resawn solid Shedua and floats in a dado. 2 brass screws hold it at the back. The shelves are complete and fit very nicely in between the walls. The blind ledger is clean and there are no visible supports. I used the pewter pulls for both the drawer and the doors. The photo shows the simple ball catch at the top. In afew weeks the mahogany will darken and turn much more red, this will compiment the Shedua even more and reduce the contrast between the woods.

I really enjoyed this project and enjoyed sharing the experience with SMC. I want to thank all the participating members who really helped with insight and support all the way. The final result looks very much like Todd's Sketch Up drawing. It demonstrates that planning and design are helpful and add to the success of a project.

This was a very balanced effort starting with design and then construction. I used many machines and hand power tools and many hand tools. For me , I could not acheive quality results without both. I tried to never compromise the quality or detail and tried to chose the most efficient tool for each task. I also tried to maintain a consistent level of detail, ie, coopered doors and knife hinges and hand dovetails...using Blum hinges or machine dovetails would compromise the attention to detail in what is a hand worked cabinet.
I have recieved many thanks along the way for explaining the process. This project may seem difficult to some people....and there are simpler similar projects to try and eventually move to this. For example a similar carcass, with a single door instead of a pair and a flat door not coopered. That would greatly simplify the cabinet and it would be an easy one to try. You could still use knife hinges and just scribe to the cabinet side and trim back a bit. If anyone has any questions about similar projects I will try to help.
I have learned a great deal having to slow down and think about each step to post it here. It forces you to think about all the little things you just do sometimes without thinking....once you focus on them it reinforces the process and clearifys it. Thanks again!

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 9:07 AM
PICS CONTINUEDHere is the last one

Tyler Howell
12-08-2004, 9:07 AM
Awesome Absolutely Awesome:cool:

Keith Christopher
12-08-2004, 9:35 AM
Mark,

Simply wonderful ! outstanding job.

Keith

Greg Heppeard
12-08-2004, 9:42 AM
Great job as always. I personally like the hardware you chose over the ebony...and the exposed dovetail on the drawer looks more like inlay work when it's closed....love it but can't let SWMBO see this.

Bob Hovde
12-08-2004, 9:47 AM
Magnificent! I'd love to show SWMBO the great effect of the wood you chose, but I can't afford to let her see the cabinet!

Bob

Glenn Clabo
12-08-2004, 9:54 AM
You have class Mr. Singer. From design…to execution…to explanation…simply perfect!

Jay Knoll
12-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Mark

That is wonderful work! Wish I lived closer so I could come and see it in person, thanks for sharing.

Gene Collison
12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Awesome Mark to say the least! Did you use T&T for the finish? Thanks again for the lessons, it was a great tutorial!

Gene

Lou Morrissette
12-08-2004, 12:05 PM
First class job in evey way, Mark. Thanks for sharing as well as offering a great tutorial.

Lou

Brad Schmid
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Wow Mark, that's awesome. Outstanding work!
Brad

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Gene,

Thanks for your comments,
It is just one coat of Tried and True! It really gives an amazing immediate buid-up!

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 3:14 PM
Wonderful, Mark. It looks like it "grew" there, too!! I know that I learned a bunch of things from your project pictorial. Thanks for posting and I hope you'll do it again with your future projects.

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2004, 3:19 PM
Absolutely Stunning Mark!!!!! Great work and great attention to detail. A very fine job and crafted with the highest level of craftmanship!!!!! :D

Chris Padilla
12-08-2004, 4:54 PM
Beautiful job, Mark, and thanks so much for sharing the steps with us...almost like watching Norm or David! :)

Could you take a shot further back so we can see how it fit within the decor?

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 5:13 PM
Chris,

Yeah the tV show is next:cool: Your too kind. Its a small room and as they say "My back is up against the wall"...I will give it another shot..so to speak:D

Beautiful job, Mark, and thanks so much for sharing the steps with us...almost like watching Norm or David! :)

Could you take a shot further back so we can see how it fit within the decor?

John Miliunas
12-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Yup, looks just great! What a wonderful piece AND journey, Mark! Thanks for taking us along for the trip. :) You've taken an area, which is otherwise, rather unassuming and created a beautiful focal point. That's just plain classy, my friend! :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Mark. This is truly outstanding work! Your craftmanship is at the highest level and a good role model for the rest of us. Thanks also for your explanations.

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 12:43 AM
I really want to thank everyone for such wonderful compliments. This type of project is within most woodworkers grasp and within the capabilities of most SMC shops that I see on posts. If you are logical and take certain steps ...one thing at a time , it is possible. I wish I coukd be in each one of your shops to answer questions or help in some way. I think SMC is the best we are going to do....and it is great. If someone wants to try a similar project, I will help as much as possible. I would do a single door un coopered cabinet to start and see what happens.

Every piece of lumber that came of the tablesaw or jointer was hand planned beore glue-up...to get really tight joints. This procedure repeats throughout the entire project...it only takes a minute ot two. Little things like that make a big difference. There are great projects posted here that are very difficult and crafted beautifully. We all help each other and we all benefit...I enjoyed and learned a great deal. Having you all watching...I tried to do things the correct way and not take shortcuts. In the end you save time if you do each thing the right way. I will do another project with this open dialogue and welcome all of you. Ask questions as we go....right now I am just thinking about,you guessed it, Design....what will it look like...I want to spend my time and effort on a nice design....There is a thread I already started asking for opinions on the design of a bed (design forum) you are welcome to join....I am already getting great ideas from the SMC community....so thanks!

Scott Parks
12-09-2004, 1:30 AM
Mark,
I've really enjoyed your inspiration on design. I really like your bath cabinet. Superb! This has me thinking more about design. I'm tired of the same old stale mission, shaker, etc. I've checked out a Krenov book at the library and that inspired me to think more about design. I'm dreaming up an idea for an entertainment center using your design inspiration... No A&C or mission, please.... Thanks, and keep posting the good work!

Joe Mioux
12-09-2004, 4:20 AM
Mark:

I learned much from this project. You have me thinking about a future project that needs to be started. Thanks for the inspiration and the thoughtful presentation.

Norman Hitt
12-09-2004, 5:39 AM
Finally complete with pics.

I have learned a great deal having to slow down and think about each step to post it here. It forces you to think about all the little things you just do sometimes without thinking....once you focus on them it reinforces the process and clearifys it. Thanks again!

Mark, you know the old saying, "You learn Once by Doing, but a Thousand Times by Teaching", and it really is True, for all the reasons you mentioned.

I have really enjoyed following this project and it was wonderful, from Design to execution, to explanation, to final results.

It is really a beautiful work that not only fits into the surrounding decor, but enhances it greatly.

A couple of questions, (and I may have missed it), but what did you decide about maybe needing some stops to keep the doors from damage if they were opened far enough to contact the wall corners that protrude out from the cabinet? If you do have to use stops, what type and how are you considering using/placing them?

The other question is, does the drawer just slide on the base, or did I miss seeing something that would keep the drawer bottom runners from marking the base in front of the drawer when it is pulled out?

My curiosity has gotten the best of me, but maybe I'm just not accustomed to these new Trifocals yet, (only had Reading glasses before), so I may not be seeing the obvious.

I, like the others, look foreward to your next project.

Norm

Louis Bois
12-09-2004, 6:50 AM
Bravo Mark!!! Lovely work...excellent choice of woods...breathtaking! Adds an interesting flow to the area...gives an organic feel to an otherwise sterile environment. I applaud you.

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 9:28 AM
Norman,

I have not placed any stops yet to protect the doors. It is a bit scary since it hits the wall close to the pivot point leaving the rest of the door as a long lever arm which, if someone pushes to strong ,could break the door right off the hinges. One step I didn't document was that I countersunk each screw hole in every kife hinge deeper on the drill press, so I could use much larger brass screws to add strength. I seem to always do this. because Brusso sends it with like a #2 by 3/8" baby screw that sits deep in the hole. I upgraded to a #4 x 3/4 and it fits perfectly flush. This adds a lot of strength. Still I am concerned with one side. I almost want to use a heavy stainless floor stop from the doors in the home and mount it low where it doesn,t show and not worry any more.

Your second point about the drawer slides to elevate the drawer is very good, I can still do that by adding wood glides to the drawer cavity sides and cutting a small dado on the drawer. Would you do a stopped dado shy of the dovetails or plow it through? Tablesaw, or router? These decisions get dificullt when the drawer is done and looks great...ooh. But you are right, even thoygh it is small , 9" x 5" it should have had wood slides. I might take another peek at my Krenov books (I have been peeking the whole time, "Thanks James") and see what he does. The other choice would be to use slick tape on the drawer side bottoms. That is easy and I probably have just enough room for it. I am open to suggestions.

Norman Hitt
12-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Norman,

Your second point about the drawer slides to elevate the drawer is very good, I can still do that by adding wood glides to the drawer cavity sides and cutting a small dado on the drawer. Would you do a stopped dado shy of the dovetails or plow it through? Tablesaw, or router? These decisions get dificullt when the drawer is done and looks great...ooh. But you are right, even thoygh it is small , 9" x 5" it should have had wood slides. I might take another peek at my Krenov books (I have been peeking the whole time, "Thanks James") and see what he does. The other choice would be to use slick tape on the drawer side bottoms. That is easy and I probably have just enough room for it. I am open to suggestions.
------------------------
Mark, I think the best solution would be your first idea, using the drawer glides on the cavity sides and Definitely, Stopped dados on the Drawer sides. It would be unthinkable to ruin the beautiful Drawer front with a dado showing. I would use a router to cut the stopped dados.

I just thought it would be a Crime to end up with two slide marks, cross grain on that beautiful wood base, from pulling out the drawer.

Corvin Alstot
12-10-2004, 7:48 PM
Mark/
Fantastic project.
That is a wonderful addition to your home.
From start to finish what do you estimate your total construction time?
You appeared to make the project in little time, you obviously must have had a good time.

Corvin

Mark Stutz
12-10-2004, 8:36 PM
Mark,
Thanks for sharing this with us from start to finish. I'm standing...actually sitting ;) ...in awe. I had never given much thought to design, but this is inspirational. The wheels are slowly starting to turn! :D :eek:

Mark

Mark Singer
12-10-2004, 8:40 PM
Corvin,

It was built in 2 weekends ...with a few interuptions and probably the equivalent of one day in evenings. So maybe 45 hours in total. That is very fast for that level of detail...but I have made many similar cabinets and I know where to go fast and where to be very cautious. The time is not the true measure...if you take shortcuts the work suffers. I was able to get very tight joints and no fillers were used (except a dovetail sliver fill on the drawer). It requires a logical sequence and experience.

Philip Duffy
12-11-2004, 5:30 AM
Very beautiful results, Mark. Well Done. Phil

Kelly C. Hanna
12-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Absoltely gorgeous Mark! I love the contrasting woods. Your craftsmanship is unbelievably excellent.

Bob Marino
12-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Mark,

Simply outstanding. Inspirational. Amazing. Thanks for posting!

Bob

Mark Singer
12-11-2004, 2:19 PM
I got a question or 2 about the dovetails...technique? There are many...here I did the tails first. I make a cad layout to scale and transfer to the first drawer side. Cut 2 sides at the same time in the vise. Flip one around and scribe the second set of tails and saw thosee together, removing the tempate. Sawing straight takes expeience and like in playing pool take a few strokes to warm up! Try it on a scrap using your square to set up and check both sides. If your having problems still...you can try a bandsaw technique....I am sure the Neanders are bitting their lips about now....it will keep the blade square with the piece and that is a good part of the problem . Eventually all training wheels should be removed and sawn by hand. If anyone wants to know the bandsaw technique I can post it. It takes practice to saw straight , stance and the first strokes are critical. Use your left thumb to guide the saw. The blade will follow the first strokes so make sure they are good ones. Don't creep past the line.

Chisel should match the width, if possible on the tail or pin. Place it carefully in the scribe line...do not use a pencil! Lighting is critical and on woods like Shedua the scribes are hard to read. Undercut slightly when you chisel. Changing to a small chisel remove about 1/8" from the side. When you are half way flip it over. If you are careful...you can stack them. Chisel directly over the bench leg for support. Pare the waste by hand with a knife. Scribe the pins from the tails and repeat.

Christian Aufreiter
12-11-2004, 4:09 PM
Hi Mark,

wonderful work!
I’m also amazed at how fast you did this project. It would have taken me longer to build a simple melamine cabinet.
BTW, as it has been stated several times, we NEED a "house tour"!

Regards,

Christian