PDA

View Full Version : Installing A/C in shop

Troy Turner
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
So I got lucky enough to acquire a 115v 8,000 BTU window unit for my 400 sq ft shop. I know it may not be ideal, but I'm not out there all the time and it was FREE :D Now I have to install it though. My shop is a metal pole barn with foil insulation, and I think the span of the posts are 6' or so (may be wider), but that's a good estimate.

So I'm going to have to cut a hole in the side and frame up a wall. Question is, do I need to run the wall all the length of an existing side? I've seen some diagrams how to frame up the window for it, but didn't know how long I should make it. I guess I wouldn't mind having framing on one side of the shop, would give me more options for storage and such, but unless I really have too...

Also, most of my dust producing tools, miter saw, table saw etc. are on the east side of the building so I wouldn't mind putting it on the west side blowing back towards me. I do use my dust deputy/shop vac combo for my collection, but don't know if putting it near those tools would do more harm than if I had it on the opposite wall, but that would put it facing west.

Ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Josiah Bartlett
08-02-2010, 7:57 PM
I think 8000 btu is going to be too small, but that comment aside...

What about mounting it over the man door or an existing window? Then you don't need new framing.

As far as dust, the fine stuff that is going to end up in the AC unit is pervasive and it probably won't matter where you put it. Plan to clean the filter a lot and be sure to blow out the coils with compressed air once in a while.

Troy Turner
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Wish it had existing windows..those are on the plan for later too. Definately agree with the size, from what I've read, do need a bigger unit, but, it was free and I'm not there that often. Figure between that and a fan, should be comfortable enough out here in West Texas :)

Mike Cruz
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Troy, I just put in an 8,000 btu unit in my shop. My shop is 24x30, so I have 720 square feet. Believe it or not, it does an amazing job! That said, I have two comments: First, my shop is COMPLETELY insulated (meaning 2x6 walls are stuffed with the pink stuff, and the ceiling has 3" thick 4x8 sheets of insulation board between the rafters...at the roof...with space between the insulation and metal roof to allow for air flow yada, yada, yada); And secondly, the unit is enough to KEEP the shop at 79 degrees...probably not enough to GET IT TO 79 degrees...if that makes sense.

When I first put it in, this summer, it was a blazing upper 90's day, and the previous week had been the same. It ran for hooooouuuuurrrrrsss, bringing the temp down just slightly. BUT, I ran into some good fortune, and we got a stretch of very cool mornings (mid to upper 50's), so I opened the front door around 4:30 am, put a big fan in the door, blowing in all that nice cool air, and turned on my exhaust fan (up near the ceiling). A few hours of this really cooled the shop down. NOT just the air, but everything IN it. That is what your unit will not likely be able to do...cool off the floor, walls, equipment...all that stuff. But, once cooled, that unit ought to be able to KEEP your shop around 78-80...providing your shop is insulated.

Otherwise, you'll just be blowing money away on electrical bills.