PDA

View Full Version : Olson All Pro Bandsaw Blades

Prashun Patel
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Has anyone used these? They have a good deal @ Rockler on a 3-pack.

I've used several Timberwolf blades and to be honest I'm not that impressed for several reasons.

Just looking to branch out.

Steven Hsieh
08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I haven't use timeberwolf blades yet, but I will order them soon.

A month ago at Rockler I bought a 93.5'' Band Saw Blades 3/16'' x 10 reg.and
a 93.5'' Band Saw Blades 1/2'' x 3 Hook. First time using these.

3/16 I had problem tracking it, I found out it was warp that cause it.

The 1/2 blade stayed on track

I have to say its a sharp blade , but i don't know how sharp compare to timberwolf or other brands.

I found sawdust on both blade when I open them, I assume the manufacture test these?

Mike Circo
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I like the Olsen All-Pros. No complaints at all.

Cut as good a the timberwolves I got, and are cheaper if you catch a sale. Plus, since Rockler is close, I can get one NOW when I need it.

Right now they are all I use and have no issues.

m

Dan Karachio
08-02-2010, 5:57 PM
I have used these, but was and am much happier with a 1/2" Wood Slicer at about $30 more or less depending on length. However, the wood slicer is mainly intended (or marketed) for resawing, but I use it for ripping and cross cutting too.

Van Huskey
08-02-2010, 8:34 PM
I find Olson to be ablut the same quality as Timberwolf, but I have never had an QC issues with Olson where I have with TM. I will go on to sound like a broken record but the best price/performance ratio I have found are Lenox bands. I have been getting mine from Spectrum supply but lots of others carry them, for narrow blades I use Starett since Lenox doesn't produce them any more. Spectrum also has the Lenox Kerfmaster which is a Woodslicer type blade (thin no set) and it is at least as good and cheaper. If you want to buy local there is almost always a industrial supply house that has them just about everywhere, though I have not seen the Kerfmaster stock any place except Spectrum, but it may be sold by another name.

Peter Quinn
08-02-2010, 8:51 PM
I have used the Olson all-pro's and they cut as well as the timberwolf's. I happen to like the timberwolfs too.

Funny story, when I got my first BS I order four timberwolfs on a buy three get one free sail from Suffolk. I also ran out and got an all pro blade from my local woodcraft because I wanted something the next day to put on and use. I was adding a riser which was scheduled to arrive the next day, and needed longer blades Well, both the timberwolfs and riser arrived the next day, and I was pretty sure I had put on a timberwolf. In my little shop that blade stayed on a long time. And it seemed to keep going and going. And I keep telling people how much I liked the timberwolfs, and so on.

So when that blade finally got dull, I opened the timberwolf box again to find I still had four new timberwolf blades left, but couldn't find the all pro blade any where! I remember thinking how well the timberwolf blades cut relative to the stock blade. I had never ordered any decent blades in the shorter length knowing the back ordered riser would arrive eventually. When I finally did put on a timberwolf blade I remember thinking it was pretty much the same performance as the olson, it just cost a little bit less due to the buy three got one free sale.

Curt Harms
08-03-2010, 9:18 AM
I found this:

Olson All Pro Band Saw Blade Features:

Tooth Hardness: 64-66 Rc
Back Hardness: 40-50 Rc
Tooth Forms: Regular, Skip and Hook
Raker Set: Left, Right, Straight Pattern
Widths: 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" 3/4"

Olson All Pro Band Saw Blade Applications:

For Hard/Soft Wood Including: Exotic hardwoods, plastic, mild steel and non-ferrous metals (with speed reduction)
For all vertical/stationary two wheel band saws

I've never heard of Timberwolf being recommended for mild steel. That might explain why they last longer.

Prashun Patel
08-03-2010, 9:53 AM
Van-
What's the exact model of Lennox blade you get?

Harvey Pascoe
08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
My experience is that Timberwolf is okay for general sawing, but not so good for veneers, rougher cut and wear out faster than a Wood Slicer which I now use exclusively.

Unfortunately, all steel band saw blades wear out too fast when veneering. At $31 a pop, I'm pretty careful about how I use the Wood Slicer, never for general sawing. For that, just about anything will do.

Cody Colston
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Pashun,

I haven't tried the Olson blades so I can't comment on them. However, for general use, I recently switched from Timberwolf blades to Lenox bi-metal blades. The TW blades were just dulling too quickly. I am very pleased with the Lenox diemaster2 blades. They not only cut as well as the TW when new but retain their sharpness much, much better. They cost app. 30% more but are worth it IMHO.

For re-sawing, I've been using a 3/4" Woodslicer. It's the only one I've used and it also does a great job. I'll probably stay with it for strictly resawing, especially veneers.

Myk Rian
08-03-2010, 9:12 PM
I've used several Olsen blades. I like them.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2010, 9:37 PM
When I bought my MM-16, I was exchanging emails with Mark Duginske. I asked him what he recommended for bandsaw blades. He said IHHO, though Timberwolves were intially sharper, he thought Olson bi-metal blades lasted 5-6 times longer. They aren't cheap buy I like them.