PDA

View Full Version : Shop door paint

Dave Norris
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Again Everyone,
As soon as I do some wiring and get the compressor running, I need to paint the doors of the new shop. I have three doors altogether, one is metal, and two are fiberglas. I wanted to spray them if possible. Can anyone give me some ideas on the type of paint that I would use to spray them? They are currently just primed from the factory.

Thanks!

Jon van der Linden
08-02-2010, 4:10 PM
Getting a good finish on a door isn't all that easy. That said, you should use quality housepaint. There's no magic bullet for doors, unless you know someone that's really good at it, then they're the magic bullet.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2010, 8:11 AM
I just did a door onto our back deck and was very pleased with the Rustoleum door paint. I used a small medium nap roller and it turned out great. I put on two coats on a factory primed door.

Jon van der Linden
08-03-2010, 4:17 PM
A roller is the wrong applicator for a door. I can guarantee that any painter can tell the difference. It can be brushed or sprayed, in either case it requires skill and the right equipment. I've seen a lot of doors done by contractors who are professional simply because they do this all the time... the difference in results from someone that actually knows how to do it will be quite noticeable from 10' away.

Troy Turner
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Dave - haven't painted my shop doors, but have done 5 exterior doors on the house and stables. All were metal. She liked barn red so that's what we got. It's probably like the Rustoleum, but it says fence, barn, etc., paint. It was a little thick, but that was expected. I didn't feel like getting the paint gun (Wagner) out, so we rolled the one that didn't have an panels and brushed the others. Came out lookin pretty good if you ask me ;) We've been painting alot of stuff around the house and finally started spending a little extra for good brushes and rollers. Works out in the end because your project looks great and they last longer after a good clean up.