PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a product (thermo printable waterproof cardstock)?

David Dustin
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know if such a product exists?

I have a client that wants to know if there is a product (white in color) available in cardstock form (standard 8.5" x 11" or similar will work).

It needs to be waterproof and turn black when touched with the laser.

We have googled the snot out finding this then thought we would give a shout to the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

David

Mike Null
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
When you say thermo printable what process are you talking about?

Ordinary outdoor engraving stock should work well but thickness may be an issue.

David Dustin
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Mike,
Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for a material that will turn black from the beam like thermo-paper/labels.

The client doesn't like the engraving but likes the custom cutouts we can make. The dis-colored portion (hopefully black) is a very specific code (looks like an alien symbol).

Thanks,
David

Mike Null
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Have you considered a heat transfer such as color laser transfer. On engraving stock the image is sharp and could be protected with an overlam.

David Dustin
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Mike,
That sounds like a very interesting idea.

Is there a certain type of paper we would need to buy?
I am assuming we would run the heat transfer portion first then cut out the shape?

Thanks,
David

Mike Null
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
David

I do my drawing with an outline about 1/16 bigger all around than the plastic; print the drawing as a mirror image; place the plastic on the transfer, tape it and press.

The outline is for placement of the plastic.

Martin Boekers
08-02-2010, 1:46 PM
You may want to check these guys out also they have quite a selection
of various transfer materials and substrates.

http://papilio.com/

Also if you do Dye-Sub There is ia decal material called Mates that works well.

Is this something for outdoor use that needs to have a UV coating?

Have you thought of cutting black vinyl then adhering it to a polystyrene, or mylar sheeting?

Marty

David Dustin
08-02-2010, 2:00 PM
Martin,
I have also thought about using a black vinyl sheet adheared to a base material then cut (outside would be cut all the way through, inside would just score the vinyl, to allow it to be peeled off).

Think of a bullseye pattern, where we need to have high contrast..

We dont do dye sublimation..
Thanks,
David

Larry Bratton
08-02-2010, 2:48 PM
David, you can't use something like Laserlights from Rowmark? They have a white with black core 4 mil thickness and is weatherproof

David Dustin
08-02-2010, 3:10 PM
Larry,
We are using some IPI material right now and it works well.
My client is interested in not ablating the lamination (yes I know).

Thanks,
David

George D Gabert
08-02-2010, 3:28 PM
What about some sort of inkjet printable mylar film. We used to also get laser printer mylar film.

GDG

Richard Rumancik
08-02-2010, 4:24 PM
David, I believe such technology exists but whether it is practicable for you to get and use is the issue. There is a company that developed CO2 color-change technology primarily for labelling and identification. It used to be called Sherwood Technology Ltd located in Nottingham, UK. Some time ago they changed their name to DataLase.

Unfortunately it is difficult to get any real concrete info from the web. They seem to want to keep a lot of the info secret to protect their IP, so they do not disclose very much. When they were called Sherwood I think they published more info (some of which I have in my file.)

It seems like they sell inks to trusted converters who then apply the ink to substrates. Since they do not seem to have off-the-shelf products I don't know if this would be a practical approach, unless your quantities were high. But it wouldn't cost anything to inquire. On the other hand, you may find it is more cost effective to try some of the alternatives suggested by members.

If you are interested, search on: Sherwood Technologies, DataLase, Laserscribe, color change science.

I really think this area has great potential for the laser engraving field but the relevant players have not been quick to come up with products suitable for laser marking.

I agree with your customer that ablation is not always a satisfactory way to mark. I make tags for a handheld instrument and am always worried about the contamination that could be contained in the recesses of the mark. A technology that can mark leaving a smooth surface would be a great alternative.

I have also noticed that a lot of color change technology requires the use of YAG lasers. Sabreen Group is one company in North America that develops laser markable plastics, but I think they are primarily suitable for YAG lasers.

With laser markable plastics they can, for example, mark the letters on the keys of a fully assembled computer keyboard.

Martin Boekers
08-02-2010, 4:32 PM
Just curious, what is thefinal use for this product?

Marty