PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Lathe!!!

Dan Cannon
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I finally got a lathe! It's the Grizzly G0462 below, used but in perfect shape. I'm so excited to finally start practicing what I've been reading about for the last year. It certainly isn't my dream lathe, and won't do everything I would want, but with very limited funds, I'm finally going to get to turn! I found it used on CL, and with the tools, chucks and other accessories that were included, I have a turn-key setup and basically feel like I got the lathe for free. It was too good to pass up. It will have it's limitations, but for a newbie, it'll get me introduced to your world. Wish me luck!....

Dan

gary Zimmel
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Great score Dan.
Looking forward to seeing the first turnings that come off it.

As a side note. Don't put your wallet away quite yet. This vortex seems to suck all it can out of it.;)

Congrats again!

John Keeton
08-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Dan, I would say that lathe will do fine for you! All it really takes is a motor to spin stuff. The other "bells and whistles" can make it a little more enjoyable, but the wood is still just spinning around!

Now, comes the fun part - have a bunch of it and enjoy!

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Dan - congrats on your first lathe! You will love turning!

Highly suggest - if you haven't turned before - to get with your local turning club and get some instruction. It will save you lots of time trying to figure things out by yourself and as soon as you have a good understanding of the basics - you'll enjoy turning even more!

Looking forward to seeing your first turnings!

Paul Douglass
08-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Good luck! and congrats on the new lathe. The only things bad about this hobby is I find it very additive and other things go by the way side and it can drain the old wallet. I have a limited budget also, so I take it slow and and try to hold back on the expensive stuff. Besides, there is a lot of turning to be done before the expensive stuff is really necessary.

Tom Sherman
08-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Congratulations Dan, and brace yourself, your about to have more fun than you've ever had with your clothes on.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Congrats!

Take a photo of any money in your billfold NOW. Get an 8x10 glossy, frame and mount it on the wall near your lathe so you can remember what money USED to look like!:eek::D

Roger Alexander
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm glad for you. But take Kens advice as you are like the rest of us I'm sure. Every time I think I have what I need. I just want more tools. My wife is going to take the check book away from me I think.

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Congratulations on entering the vortex, Dan. You'll have great fun!:D

Jim Underwood
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe. Hope it brings hours of fun and satisfaction.

Lots of us started out with this lathe. One word of caution though, be careful of adjusting the V.S. pulley in any way. It's not very strong. I'd be gentle with the locking handles too (I broke several off on my lathe.)

Welcome to the world of spinny! It'll be FUN!

Roger Chandler
08-02-2010, 1:27 PM
Welcome to the Vortex! Congratulations and we all look forward to seeing your new turnings and your progress as you go along.....:)

Kyle Iwamoto
08-02-2010, 2:01 PM
Congrats. That's WAY better than my first. It was a Craftsman.....

+1 on what everyone else said. Keep your wallet open. I just "won" a 1-1/2" scraper on the bay.

Allen Neighbors
08-02-2010, 8:07 PM
And another one bites the dust!! Muuhhhahaha ............
Congratulations on the lathe!!! My second one was a Grizzly... It'll surely spin the wood!!

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 8:14 PM
"Take a photo of any money in your billfold NOW. Get an 8x10 glossy, frame and mount it on the wall near your lathe so you can remember what money USED to look like!"

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Thom Sturgill
08-02-2010, 8:18 PM
For a proper gloat we need pictures of the actual lathe and tools.:D
Congrats, your life will never be the same again, you will never view downed trees the same...

Josh Bowman
08-02-2010, 9:15 PM
Dan, that's fantastic! Now as you already know you're also in the best place to learn using it. I will pass on the tips I was given that certainly was the right thing to do. Videos, books, instruction and a local club. I was just going to wing it, but the members here encouraged me to do those things. Oddly, tooling is not on the list, as one member said, get a good bowl gouge (if bowls are your venue) and learn to use it. It's amazing how few tools you really need to get started.....not that there aren't thousands of dollars of goodies to be had.:D

John Hart
08-02-2010, 9:42 PM
Congratulations Dan, and brace yourself, your about to have more fun than you've ever had with your clothes on.

I just took off all my clothes and ran around outside in the yard....ya know...just to check.

Yep...Tom's right. ;)

Congratulations Dan!! Your old life is over.:)

David E Keller
08-02-2010, 9:46 PM
I just took off all my clothes and ran around outside in the yard....ya know...just to check.

Yep...Tom's right. ;)

Congratulations Dan!! Your old life is over.:)

I think I just heard Hart's wife and daughters scream all the way down here in Oklahoma.:eek:

Congrats on the new lathe... Now get to making stuff smaller and rounder.:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Congrats on a great score. Have fun and make some chips.

Scott Lux
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Conggratulations. Find a club or a turner near you. If you can't find anyone closer, let me know. I'm halfway between Delaware and Marysville. Can't be that far from you.

Dan Cannon
08-03-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes and advice guys, I am certainly braced for the "whooosh" sound that will be coming from my wallet. Now whether my wife is braced for that or not is still yet to be seen...

I've located a club and plan to go to the meeting a couple saturday's from now. In the meantime, I did sign up for a beginner class at the local Woodcraft. Hopefully that will get me started on the right foot.

I'll get real pictures posted soon so I can consider this a "real gloat". :D I was just excited to post about it yesterday and hadn't had a chance to snap any photos. I'll also post a pic of my first turning soon, but I'm not sure a spindle with random various shapes all over it is really considered a "turning" :o

Scott - That's not far at all, I really appreciate the invite. I'll PM you...

Tom Sherman
08-03-2010, 7:06 PM
Dan, that spindle turning could be called a "Bonker" that's an official first turning of SMC.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice guys, I am certainly braced for the "whooosh" sound that will be coming from my wallet. Now whether my wife is braced for that or not is still yet to be seen...

I've located a club and plan to go to the meeting a couple saturday's from now. In the meantime, I did sign up for a beginner class at the local Woodcraft. Hopefully that will get me started on the right foot.

I'll get real pictures posted soon so I can consider this a "real gloat". :D I was just excited to post about it yesterday and hadn't had a chance to snap any photos. I'll also post a pic of my first turning soon, but I'm not sure a spindle with random various shapes all over it is really considered a "turning" :o

Scott - That's not far at all, I really appreciate the invite. I'll PM you...

John Hart
08-03-2010, 8:09 PM
Dan, that spindle turning could be called a "Bonker" that's an official first turning of SMC.

Yep!!! Bonkers Count!:) In fact..you aren't allowed to post anymore until you show us your bonker.;)

Wally Dickerman
08-03-2010, 8:25 PM
You should have seen the piece of crap that my first lathe was. I knew what a good lathe should be because I had turned on a big Oliver lathe in High sch. shop. At age 15 in the middle of the depression that was all I could afford. Always going for bigger and better I was up to at least lathe number 4 before I had one that would compare with yours..

Congratulations and have fun.

Wally

Kirk Miller
08-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Congrats Dan,
I think you will be suprised with how well that serves you as your "First Lathe".

charlie knighton
08-04-2010, 9:42 AM
congratulations

Tony Kent
08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Dan,
Very happy for you...I had one of these lathes as well as 2 of the HF 12 inch 34706s Just bought another to teach with......Just a word of caution.....see the extension that is on the tool rest.....take it off and put it in a drawer or the trash...please be safe and use the tool rest directly into the banjo. I have had these break off and its really no fun. I am sure there are folks on here that might disagree, but I am not really sure why some lathes even come with these extensions anymore. Have fun and always use safety gear and stand aside when turning this lathe on it ramps up to speed pretty fast. Take care and have fun!!!!

michael p williams
08-09-2010, 4:45 PM
I have this one and have really enjoyed it. It's not the best or the fanciest, but I'm trying to remember that this is a hobby...

The only real problem I have had was aligning the headstock end. It has spun anything I wanted it to, the motor is pretty stout. I've had to follow it around the shop after it went jumpin around like a bull at the rodeo.

It has also launched tools with AMAZING velocity around my shop!!

All in all I think it's a good lathe, you might pick up a spare belt to have on hand.

Enjoy

Mike