PDA

View Full Version : First Pens

Nick Fournier
08-02-2010, 9:28 AM
This weekend I finally got around to turning my first two pens. These were practice for the pen exchange.

The first one is a slimline in purple heart and the second is a european in an unkown blank. Overall, I'm fairly happy with the results. But, I do have a question about finish. On both pens I used HUT Crystal Coat, yet neither of the two ended up with a glass like condition. In fact, the second pen has a nearly satin finish.

Has anyone used this product before? And if so, any suggestions on how to get a better finish?

David E Keller
08-02-2010, 9:33 AM
Nice job on the pens.

As for the finish, most of the friction finishes yield a satin finish. They are wax and shellac for the most part. Most folks use CA for super shine, but there are other choices. Plexitone(plexiglass dissolved in acetone) is one option, but I've never used it. Lacquer(hic) and polyurethane are used by some.

If you're interested in a CA finish, there are several youtube videos outlining the procedure.

Paul Douglass
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Nice turning on the pens. I've never tried the Crystal coat, but David is right, the CA finish give a very glossy durable finish. It is the only one I have been successful with. So dip their blanks in a high gloss material but I have not been able to succeed at it.

Nick Fournier
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like I'll be headed back to Woodcraft. Although I do like a satin finish most of the times, sometimes you want that high gloss finish. I'll try CA.

Dave Wagner
08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I use the shellawax, it yields a pretty good shine, of course, the pre-finish/polishing is the key, I found out.

I bought some of the EEE polishing and then the shellawax....made a difference in the finish coat.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9946

David Walser
08-02-2010, 2:41 PM
I'd caution against using any of the shellac based finishes on your pens. Shellac isn't abrasion resistant and the finish will quickly be worn through. Such friction polishes work well for items that will be displayed on a shelf and rarely touched -- you hope that doesn't describe your pens. Pens are meant to be used.

Some people like the patina that a wood pen develops with repeated use. For such, I think an oil finish followed by a coating of wax is a good choice. As the wax wears off, it's replaced by the oil from the users hands. I like this approach for darker woods. I think the patina on light colored woods, such as maple, just looks dirty.

For a gloss finish, one of the most durable and quickest to apply is CA glue (Super Glue). A thick coat of polyurethane (several coats) works too, but it takes longer to apply and is not as durable. Lacquer is softer than polyurethane (but much more abrasion resistant that shellac) and won't hold up as well. It is easier to apply.

Good luck!