PDA

View Full Version : Which paper towel?

Thom Sturgill
08-02-2010, 6:28 AM
I recently had a problem with a paper towel disintegrating into some CA finish. This required sanding off the CA and starting again. I was using a cheap store brand the wife had bought. We need to use paper towels instead of cloth to minimize problems with catches, but even shop towels can have too much strength and integrity. I normally use Viva with no problems, but wonder if there is something better...

So, I thought to tap the collective again, if I can pose the question properly. If there is a preference the information would help all. Two edged - What towel works 'best' for use on the lathe (esp for CA finishes, they seem 'grabby-est') ? What towel has caused problems? Or is this a non-issue?

David Hullum
08-02-2010, 7:34 AM
I have also used brown paper bags in the past.

Andrew Kertesz
08-02-2010, 7:38 AM
I saw a demo recently where he used Charmin folded over several times. I have also read where some use the closed cell foam that you find wrapping some products for shipping. You really only want to try and make 1 pass for each coat. More than that increases your chance for failure.

Jeff Willaford
08-02-2010, 8:53 AM
I try to use paper towels without any pattern or texture. IMO any texture shows up in the finish no matter what. Also, paper towels act as an accelerator for CA. They seem to work well for me with a BLO/CA finish but I have to keep the towel moving.

Check around on the internet and you'll see suggestions to use synthetic batting or some foam or plastic as an applicator.

David E Keller
08-02-2010, 9:20 AM
I think the type of towel does matter in my hands. I've had good luck with the boxes of 'shop rags' from Sam's. They're white and heavy. I believe they are Scott brand. You might check the IAP forum as well... I believe it has been a topic there on several occasions.

Maria Alvarado
08-02-2010, 9:34 AM
I've heard Viva brand recommended for CA finishes because something in the product acts as a mild accelerant. Haven't tested that out myself.

Alan Trout
08-02-2010, 9:43 AM
I teach CA finish classes and I hate Viva. IMHO it has to much lint which can show up, particularly on dark woods or blanks. I have had very good success with Bounty and Brawny. I really like the select-a-size. But I can pretty much use any towel some just can be more problematic then others.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2010, 9:55 AM
I use Bounty select-a-size. I usually don't need a full sheet. I haven't had a problem with lint on my pieces.

Joe Aliperti
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I have no luck at all with paper towels... for me, they cause the CA to cure too fast, and always end up sticking to the spinning blank or leave behind fibers.

I use applicators made from synthetic quilt batting, backed with wide masking tape and then wrapped around the center with narrower masking tape (exposing two applicator surfaces). It is easy to make a bunch of these at once. The synthetic material doesn't accelerate the curing of the CA like paper towels, yet it still is absorbent, which keeps the CA from dripping everywhere.

Paul Douglass
08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I usually use the blue paper shop towels. I've also used the close cell foam with good sucess. I am now into the BLO/CA finish routine and really like it.

Jim McFarland
08-02-2010, 1:04 PM
Appears to be almost as many paper towel preferences as there are CA application procedures so likely no single "right" answer! In my case, I use the Viva brand and nothing else :).

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2010, 1:08 PM
OK... here's a hot tip. The best paper towels on the planet are sold at Costco under the "Kirkland Signature" brand. That's their "house brand". They are durable, thick, large and inexpensive. Try em.

Allen Neighbors
08-02-2010, 8:13 PM
I recently had a problem with a paper towel disintegrating into some CA finish. This required sanding off the CA and starting again. I was using a cheap store brand the wife had bought. We need to use paper towels instead of cloth to minimize problems with catches, but even shop towels can have too much strength and integrity. I normally use Viva with no problems, but wonder if there is something better...

So, I thought to tap the collective again, if I can pose the question properly. If there is a preference the information would help all. Two edged - What towel works 'best' for use on the lathe (esp for CA finishes, they seem 'grabby-est') ? What towel has caused problems? Or is this a non-issue?

I use viva and brawny. Viva for applying CA. You hold it too long, it'll stick, and you gotta sand. Heavy dribble of thin CA, two quick passes and get off of it.:eek: I apply about 8 to 10 coats like this.
Brawny is for the tougher jobs.:D

larry cronkite
08-02-2010, 8:55 PM
I've been using Scott's "Rags in a Box" for some time now and they really work great.
I fold them twice the long way and then once the other way and that makes an eight layer 6" by 2 1/2" applicator that I can use to apply six to eight coats of thin CA without using latex gloves.
I don't really use the paper towel as an applicator - I drizzle the CA on the blank and use the paper towel under the blank to spread out the CA.

michael gallagher
08-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Bounty select a size works well vs. the cheap off brands.

One tip from a SWAT meeting a few summers ago is I have also used the styrofoam (whatever the white stuff is called) that comes in shipping boxes that protect computers, tv's, etc. that I salvage from our IT department at work, as it goes on very smooth without the risk of paper fiber whiskers getting all over your CA finish. While it is formed in rectangles or cubes for shipping purposes, you can slice it up say a little thicker and longer than a cigarette for application.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I use the heavy blue shop towels. But I've found that if I use just a drop of BLO on any towel first that there are no sticking problems. I apply the ca with quick back and forth motions and moderate pressure. I always have a fan blowing from behind me to get rid of the fumes.

Thom Sturgill
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I use the heavy blue shop towels. But I've found that if I use just a drop of BLO on any towel first that there are no sticking problems. I apply the ca with quick back and forth motions and moderate pressure. I always have a fan blowing from behind me to get rid of the fumes.

I was wondering if they weren't *too* strong - too much like using cloth, which if caught and wrapped around a finger can pull it right out:eek:.
How easily does it tear? The viva tears easily, and is smooth, so no pattern left behind. I have been doing the same lately with the BLO, but the heat disintegrated a cheap towel.

Kirk Miller
08-04-2010, 1:08 AM
Closed cell foam gets my vote, or coffee filter. Coffee filters are suprisingly lint free

Paul Douglass
08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
You should always hold the towel or what ever you are using so it it snags or sticks it will easily pull out of your hand! Don't want any of this "pull my finger" stuff....

Alan Tolchinsky
08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I was wondering if they weren't *too* strong - too much like using cloth, which if caught and wrapped around a finger can pull it right out:eek:.
How easily does it tear? The viva tears easily, and is smooth, so no pattern left behind. I have been doing the same lately with the BLO, but the heat disintegrated a cheap towel.

Thom, I don't wrap these paper towels around my finger. I've not had these towels disintegrate especially when I use a drop of BLO on the towel before I apply the ca.

Thom Sturgill
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Thom, I don't wrap these paper towels around my finger. I've not had these towels disintegrate especially when I use a drop of BLO on the towel before I apply the ca.

I don't either, but you always hear of these horrible accidents that were preventable. I had just watched my Lacer DVD and noted that he was using cloth.

I was mainly concerned about the disintegration and damage to the finish. It looks like either shop towels or Viva - both smooth textured - wins the concensus.

Jenn Hill
08-04-2010, 8:55 PM
I also use these blue shop towels (made be Scotts). I fold them and cut them so that I end up with a bunch of small pieces that are several plies thick. Around 2"x1". They work really well and are small enough that I don't worry about them wrapping around anything.
Jenn

Allen Neighbors
08-04-2010, 9:32 PM
If you take a Viva, Select-a-size, and fold it endways; once, twice, and the third time, you'll have good piece to lay longways, along two fingers to apply the CA to the bottom of the pen as you dribble it on the top. I use these pieces, turning it over each time, getting close to the previously used spot. 0ne towel for each pen. 8 to 10 coats, easy. Quick application (2 or 3 quick passes), and get off of it... it won't stick.

Paul Douglass
08-04-2010, 9:39 PM
I don't dribble, well not CA anyway, every time I tried that I had CA everywhere. I put a little pool on the towel and after applying, I tear off the piece and move on down the towel. So many ways to do it, what ever works for you. It is really worth trying different ways though.

Karl Card
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I can say this the bargain towels at any store to me are not worth it... They are just absolutely nasty, fall apart and stick to the glue or else mess up the whole project. My personal preference at this time is bounty and especialy like to get them in the half sheets. Makes a perfect fold, not to brittle of a towl and well works fine. That is not to say there is a better towl out there but I just haven tried the others yet.
With bounty I could spead the glue while lathe turning and actually move towel back and forth until the glue was hard,,,,,, err setup... I also felt that a good indicator was that once the smell of the glue got started it was time to quit with that layer.

Scott Lux
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
So am I the only one who doesn't use paper towels or closed-cell foam?

I use nitrile gloves. I put one finger on, and bunch the rest in my hand. I put ca on the finger and apply. Or for thick stuff, I dribble it on the piece using the finger to spread it.

I can use each "finger" 3-4 times, and then I pitch the glove.

Paul Douglass
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, Scott, that is the first time I have heard that method. Thought I had heard of them all. If it works, it works.

John Hart
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I haven't done pens in a long time, but when I did, I used t-shirt material with a little bit of BLO on it. Never had a problem with catches.

Scott Lux
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I forgot to mention, if you keep the finger on too long, the nitrile tears off and you have to sand blue off your pen.