PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hidden hinges for re-doing half overlay cabinet doors

Stephen Saar
08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
My siblings and I are re-painting my parents kitchen cabinets and putting new hardware on them. These cabinets are very old (50+ years), but in reasonable shape for their age. Eventually I will be redoing all the cabinets in hardwood, but that is a few years off, so repainting is the only feasible short term option. I've gotten pretty much everything ready to go, the only problem I'm having is finding hinges that will work. The doors are all 3/4" plywood doors (no frame on the door just a single piece of 3/4" plywood), with a 3/8" rabbet around 3 sides, and it is a half-overlay door. The cabinets are 3/4" face frame cabinets. I've been trying to find some hidden hinges that will work, but so far I can't seem to find anything. The previous hinges were all completely exposed hinges that that sat flat to the face frame, and then extended 3/8 of an inch out to lay flat on the exterior of the door. I've found a few other exposed hinges that look like they would work, but I was looking for a completely hidden hinge that would do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Stephen

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Blum says that their 170 degree cup hinges can be used for this. Look at the lower left panel in this link: http://wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/blum170special.pdf

Stephen Saar
08-02-2010, 1:09 AM
Thanks, it looks like that is only with frameless cabinets. It looks like they attach to the panel. In this case everything is face frame, so I only have 3/4 an inch to work with, and a good bit of that is taken up by the panel itself. I did find one set of hinges from rockler that can do this, but they were $25/pair, which is higher than I wanted for this project. I might just end up going with the 3/8" inset hinges, since it doesn't appear that there are any hidden hinges for this type of application in the price range I was looking at ($10-$15).

-Stephen

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2010, 1:21 AM
Thanks, it looks like that is only with frameless cabinets. It looks like they attach to the panel. In this case everything is face frame, so I only have 3/4 an inch to work with, and a good bit of that is taken up by the panel itself. I did find one set of hinges from rockler that can do this, but they were $25/pair, which is higher than I wanted for this project. I might just end up going with the 3/8" inset hinges, since it doesn't appear that there are any hidden hinges for this type of application in the price range I was looking at ($10-$15).

-Stephen

To use hinges like these with face frame cabinets, you add blocking to the walls of the cabinets where you want the hinges to be. The hinges then screw into the blocking. It is simple.

Rich Engelhardt
08-02-2010, 7:23 AM
Any suggestions?
~ three years ago I redid similar cabinets in one of our rentals.
My goal at the time was to do it as cheaply as possible - but - still have it look good.

What I did was frame the plywood panels using strips of 1x2 pine with a 1/4" rabbet cut into them.

I ran each panel across a 1/4" straight router bit to remove the round over.

I glued and tacked the "frames" onto the panels with 18 ga brads.

I used some cheap cup hinges from Home Depot.

My final cost per door, IIRC, was about $3.00 including the hinges but - excluding the labor & final paint.

I posted a before and after picture here. It's buried somewhere on the forum. I'm pressed for time right now, but, if you want I can dig around for it and post a link.

BTW - they turned out a whole lot better than I expected!

Greg Wease
08-02-2010, 3:13 PM
These are pricey but may be what you are looking for.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17284

Dave Keeler
01-26-2011, 8:55 PM
170 degree Straight Arm Hinge Part# B71T655 $5.22 ea
9MM Clip Wing Baseplate Part# B175H719 @ $1.87 ea
Angle Restriction Clip (reduces angle from 170 to 130) Part#70.6103 @ $0.43 ea
3MM Spacer Part# 181.6130 @ $0.98 ea
Total: $8.50 per hinge

All part numbers are available from Louis and Company

Dave Keeler
01-26-2011, 9:04 PM
Schematic of 3/8 lip application, go to page 15