PDA

View Full Version : Mirror problem Epilog32ex

greg lindsey
08-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey Creekers, I have a bad mirror, the one on the crossbar, I think I can take it off and put in a pot of boiling water to release it from the holder, and turn it off the bad spot, but I'm not sure what the boiling water will do to the mirror, meaning can I reuse the mirror afterwards. I have ordered a new one but wont be here till wed. Anyone ever tried this.

Frank Corker
08-02-2010, 4:31 AM
Jeez, I doubt I'd ever be advising you to use heat on one of those mirrors! They are coated and once the coating is removed it's a piece of shiny glass. If you are determined to move it, try an easing fluid, heat might result in cracking.

Michael Hunter
08-02-2010, 5:34 AM
If you have another mirror on the way, then you haven't much to loose by trying to turn the existing one.
It might be better to suspend the mirror in cool water and then heat the water, rather than give it the thermal shock of being dumped straight into boiling water.
(I had always assumed that the mirror was gold-plated metal, but if Frank is right and it is glass, then there is definitely some risk of cracking it).

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2010, 7:54 AM
I don't get the water to release thing. I have replaced mine, and take it out for thorough cleaning. There are 4 set screws to remove then it comes right out. Was yours glued on or something?

paul mott
08-02-2010, 8:43 AM
I think you are pretty brave to try this boiling water thing Greg. If you do decide to go for it please post your results, I would be interested in knowing the outcome.

Paul.

Scott Shepherd
08-02-2010, 8:57 AM
Isn't it Acetone that releases the glue that holds them, not hot water?

I thought putting some acetone on the bond would release it.

Michael Hunter
08-02-2010, 9:18 AM
There are no screws holding mine (Legend 32EX), so it is either pressed in, or glued as Scott suggests.

Dan Hintz
08-02-2010, 9:29 AM
I don't see the heat doing much as far as breaking down the glue. On top of that, if you must go ahead with this experiment, use as pure of deionized water as you can get... if you don't, you're bound to get dried mineral deposits on the front surface, and those aren't always easy to get off.

greg lindsey
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah the boilng water will remove the glue from the holder, I have done this before with the lens, but I replaced it with a new one, saves ya about $30-$40 on buying the holder also. Just checking to see if anybody had done this before. I wasn't sure if I wanted to totally screw up the mirror or limp through till I get the new one. Never fails, busy as all get up and have something as small as a mirror throw ya a kink. Note to self, buy a backup.