PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl... Thanks Cathy

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Here's a sweet little chunk of oak burl that Cathy Schaewe was kind enough to send my way along with a huge cherry half log. Thanks Cathy:D:D.

I love turning gnarly bits of stuff like this. I wish I would have taken a photo of it before it was turned... It was awful looking:eek:. It never ceases to amaze me what's hidden inside the gnarly bits of a tree.

5 inches tall and 3.5 wide. Walls about 1/4". Finished with a coat of thin shellac and one coat of tung oil.

157321 157323 157325 157322 157324

Comments and criticism greatly appreciated!

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Really nice looking piece David. I really like that piece.

Baxter Smith
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
The shape is very nice and the wood definitely has a lot of character. Cool looking piece!

Cathy Schaewe
08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
ok, how the heck did you do that???????
I wasn't sure the piece was even turnable. Remind me to send you the things I think aren't usable .... and you can turn them into wonders! Wow!!!

Roger Chandler
08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
yup, knarly alright! Nice job David.......really nice gesture Cathy!

Michael James
08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Now thats quite a piece for sure. Great job on a one of a kind chunk o wood!

I think J Clewes is in Abq next weekend for the local turners meeting, which Im planning to attend. You studied with him right?
Carry on,
mj

Cathy Schaewe
08-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow, cool. That would be a meeting to attend ....

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
ok, how the heck did you do that???????
I wasn't sure the piece was even turnable. Remind me to send you the things I think aren't usable .... and you can turn them into wonders! Wow!!!

You are too kind. I had to fiddle with the alignment between centers for a while until I got to a place that I thought would be OK. In truth, it came off the lathe more than once before I roughed it into submission. The gnarly pieces are a challenge, and I think that's partly why I enjoy them. I can screw up a perfectly good piece of wood as well as anyone, but I don't feel as guilty when I destroy the gnarly bits(which I do on occasion).

I think J Clewes is in Abq next weekend for the local turners meeting, which Im planning to attend. You studied with him right?
Carry on,
mj

I took his three day course at his home in Las Vegas... It was a great learning experience for me to be sure. I'd definitely jump at the chance to take another class with him or watch him demonstrate.

Thanks for the comments everybody, and Cathy, thanks again for the wood

Aaron Wingert
08-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Lots of air in that one David. Heck of a nice piece, definitely one of my favorite pieces you've posted. That's one of those where you gotta wear a face shield and a baseball catcher's chest protector! I wouldn't change a thing with that piece.

charlie knighton
08-02-2010, 3:55 AM
David, that's what i like about wood, one of a kind, very nice

Thom Sturgill
08-02-2010, 6:31 AM
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. I would not have the nerve. Nice piece.

Roland Martin
08-02-2010, 6:48 AM
Nice piece David. Great shape, grain, color and character.

John Keeton
08-02-2010, 7:18 AM
David, the form on this one is really very nice, and combined with the unique character of the oak burl, and this is one FANTASTIC piece!! I love everything about it! Great job.

And, kudos to Cathy, too, for giving you the opportunity! You know, for a judge, she ain't half bad!!

Rob Cunningham
08-02-2010, 9:08 AM
Beautiful work David.

Keith Burns
08-02-2010, 9:15 AM
David, I really like the form on this one. It fits the wood really well giving it an "old" look. Nice job on keeping it together.

David E Keller
08-02-2010, 9:16 AM
You know, for a judge, she ain't half bad!!

I was not aware of Cathy's work activity until now. I will address her appropriately from now on, but I'll need some help from you. John, do judges prefer 'your honor' or 'your lordship' when being addressed? Perhaps, 'your highness' would be more appropo?:cool:

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2010, 9:19 AM
Very nice piece, David! And I can't believe you were able to get it down to 1/4!

John Keeton
08-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I was not aware of Cathy's work activity until now. I will address her appropriately from now on, but I'll need some help from you. John, do judges prefer 'your honor' or 'your lordship' when being addressed? Perhaps, 'your highness' would be more appropo?:cool:David, are you referring to the words I mutter as I leave the courtroom after an adverse ruling.:rolleyes::eek: Of course, in the courtroom it is always "her honor!!":)

Never had the privilege of practicing before the Honorable Judge Schaewe, but from my experiences so far, undoubtedly it would be a fair and pleasant experience!!

And, Cathy, sorry I "outed" you!! Only fair though - I get all the ribbing for being an attorney!!

Tom Sherman
08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Top notch job on a great piece of wood David, looks like it was meant to be this form.