PDA

View Full Version : starting at the beginning

Michael James
08-01-2010, 8:13 PM
Ok, here's a couple of pics (no not with my cell phone, but I have not set up a light box yet) of stuff I did this weekend.
Walnut vase with some NICE curlies courtesy of a new Jeff N hollowing tool, walnut courtesy of Creeker Joe M. There's a couple of cracks on the top part, so it may not finish out as shown.
Other pics are roughed out and ancholsealed mesquite, roughed and anchorsealed cottonwood, little cherry and little walnut from a friend in NY ready to finish (soaked in danish on the cherry, tung finishing oil on the walnut, and on the right, ready to wax and buff hickory from Donny's care package. It seemed stable so I just finished it out.:cool:

Nothing like starting on the basics with hollowing, eh?

John Keeton
08-01-2010, 8:31 PM
Michael, looks like a great start to me! All of them look to be very nice, and the walnut in the chuck has a very nice shape to it.

Great beginnings!!

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 8:35 PM
Nicely done. You've got a nice mix of woods and forms there.

Did you build the nice oak cabinets in the background? I wish I had the interest in doing something like that in my shop.

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Really nice pieces. Nicely done.

Cathy Schaewe
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm starting to feel like I should hang it up. Is that cherry what I sent you? Nice. I can't seem to make anything come out right lately. I think I should send all my wood to someone else.

Roger Chandler
08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Cathy,

If you g ave all your wood to others, then the world would be deprived of all the inspiration and artistic talent that flows from your imagination :( What a tragedy that would be indeed!

You may just have the wood turners version of "writers block" - it will "click" and all will come together for you before long, so keep makin' shavin's :)

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-02-2010, 9:02 AM
Glad to see your making good use of the wood Mike.
Don't worry to much about the small cracks, there are ways of repairing small cracks, or filling them to your advantage.