PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Vase #4

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2010, 7:40 PM
I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on this form - so please let me know!

Curly Maple, 7 5/8" high x 4 3/4" diameter x 1/8" thick. Dyed with powdered RIT clothing dye (Scarlet) mixed with denatured alcohol (DNA), sanded to 600 grit and has several coats of gloss wipe-on poly. I will wait at least a week to buff and will use Renaissance wax as a final protective coat.

157301 157302 157303 157304 157305

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Roger Chandler
08-01-2010, 7:48 PM
Steve,

Another great turning! This one reminds me a little of some pear shapes I have seen in nature as the pears on the tree are developing. Your opening in the end seems a little larger that on your last couple of turnings, and each one, in my opinion, has its own uniqueness which is good, and what can on say; that finish is just something else! :)

I've been out of town for a couple of days, and just got back a few minutes ago, and thought I would catch up on what is happening at the "creek."

You and that rit dye seem to be getting along great....;)

Pete Jordan
08-01-2010, 7:55 PM
Hey Buddy,
I really like the shape! It is nice to see a wider mouth and reminds me of a gourd.

Very nice color also.

John Keeton
08-01-2010, 8:01 PM
Steve, as I recall, this was my favorite form of all of the "series" you had roughed out. It appears to have perhaps the best figure of the lot, as well.

I love the scarlet color - IMO, I think the reds are a natural for figured wood, and they seem to be the most lightfast.

Really a very nice form - and, as you know, I am not a vase person, per se.

Jon Lanier
08-01-2010, 8:11 PM
I like it... not for a regular thing. But I like this, especially with some artificial flowers matching the gorgeous color.

Alan Trout
08-01-2010, 8:11 PM
I really like the color and form. Good work Steve.

Alan

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 8:39 PM
I like the form. I especially like the coloring and the way it lightens near the widest portion of the form... It gives me the visual sense that the form expanded there stretching out the color.

Terry Quiram
08-01-2010, 8:44 PM
That is some awesome curly wood. Really nice job coloring and poly finish.

James Combs
08-01-2010, 8:48 PM
I like the form. I especially like the coloring and the way it lightens near the widest portion of the form... It gives me the visual sense that the form expanded there stretching out the color.

If I had thought of it I would say pretty much the same as David. But since I didn't I'll just say NICE.

Curt Fuller
08-01-2010, 9:03 PM
Steve, I really like this form. I think I like the view of it lying on its side best. It appears to have a very small base to sit on and looks like it might tip over easily, which makes the side view look like a natural. Almost like it doesn't have a base, just a round bottom. I also like the color on this one. It has a more natural red to it than most red dyes and the translucence allows the curly grain to show through.

Tom Sherman
08-01-2010, 9:32 PM
Steve I like this form very much. It tends to make me feel like it is holding wine or something of that nature, I like the functional look of it. The coloring is striking also. Great effort.

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2010, 9:44 PM
Steve I love the form. The color and wood really set that piece off.

Josh Bowman
08-01-2010, 9:51 PM
Steve,
That's is over the top! I like the color and the form! Thanks for posting, a very nice inspiration.

Roland Martin
08-01-2010, 9:56 PM
Very well done Steve! The more I look at it, the more the form grows on me. What you accomplished with the dye is fantastic, and the finish, WOW. I agree with John, this piece has the nicest figure of the series. Thanks for posting!

Rich Aldrich
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice vase, Steve. Looks like you are really getting into dying like Marc showed us at the meetings earlier this year.

Baxter Smith
08-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I like the shape and the color. All of these pieces have had a great wow factor. I wonder how much of it is a direct result of the curl in the maple and the way it absorbs the dye. Want to try one without the curl?;):)

Terry Achey
08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Steve, I think the form reminds me very much of a shape you would find in nature such as a type of nest (Baltimore Oriole) or perhaps a wasp nest. At least that's what my minds eye sees with this shape. I especially like the shape of the opening, too. It goes very well with the overall form.

Beautiful figure and finish! You sure have that dye process down pat.

Terry

Wally Dickerman
08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Definitely a female form! A bit different...I like it. Good, continuous curves. Looks like multiple coats of lacquer to a very glossy finish.

Wally

Roger Chandler
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Steve,

I think that a display of all the dyed [colored] turnings you have done, all placed together and photographed [and shared on this forum] would be a really great idea.

The contrasting colors, and the complimenting shapes would definitely lend itself to naming the collection as well as the individual pieces. Some acrylic boxes, or wooden boxes or some type of configuration that would allow each piece to stand out among the others would be really neat.

In the naming and display, you perhaps could convey the "theme" or the purpose for which the shapes were trying to emulate. Just some thoughts....which you may not like them at all..:eek::confused:;).... but you do some beautiful work!

Aaron Wingert
08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Steve that is a great looking piece. I like the proportion of the opening to the rest of the form. That piece of wood is just spectacular. And the gloss just makes it pop.

I'd love to see your process for the dye job you're putting on these pieces. Is it a soak, brushed on, applied on the lathe??? How much RIT powder to DNA, etc? And where the heck do you get the dye?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Great wood and finish. The form and finish have a very modern feel to it. I can see this in a Mark Singer home.

Frank Van Atta
08-02-2010, 1:34 AM
I like the form, finish, and color. It almost looks like you used both red and yellow dyes.

Maria Alvarado
08-02-2010, 7:25 AM
Simply fabulous!!

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2010, 7:49 AM
Very nice work, Steve!

Rob Cunningham
08-02-2010, 9:02 AM
Steve,
I like the form, it has a natural flow to it. The dye and finish really bring out the curl in the wood. Nice work.

Keith Burns
08-02-2010, 9:18 AM
Steve, this one is by far my favorite in this series. Love the form and the coloring. Well done !

Mike Minto
08-02-2010, 9:29 AM
Steve, that's a really nice vase - reminds me of some of the Malthroup's work. Very cool.

Greg Taylor
08-02-2010, 9:34 AM
Beautiful...has the symmetry of a tear-drop.

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Aaron - check out these posts on how I dye my turnings:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121497
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121669

Roger - I have most of my dyed work already posted in my Photo Gallery - right here on the Creek!

The form that I turned (my favorite of the series!) is my attempt at a southwest style vase - heavy Santa Clara influence and hopefully a tribute to the Tafoya family of potters. There are some photos of their work online - check it out:
http://www.askart.com/askart/t/margaret_maria_tafoya/margaret_maria_tafoya.aspx
http://www.adobegallery.com/artist.php?artist_id=71
http://www.google.com/images?q=margaret%20tafoya&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1274&bih=892

Thanks again everyone!

ed hoxter
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
steve, looks like you have found yourself a winner. looks great ed

Quinn McCarthy
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Another dandy Steve.

Quinn

Roger Chandler
08-02-2010, 3:53 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Schlumpf;1481006]Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Roger - I have most of my dyed work already posted in my Photo Gallery - right here on the Creek!

The form that I turned (my favorite of the series!) is my attempt at a southwest style vase - heavy Santa Clara influence and hopefully a tribute to the Tafoya family of potters. There are some photos of their work online - check it out:

Steve,

I took a few minutes to look through your gallery......you have some extraordinary turnings! My thinking was that if you were to group them together in a display, it would highlight the contrast of colors and in the process highlight each piece, especially if arranged so that the different colors were placed in contrast to the one beside it.

Anyway, it was just a thought.... I also really like your dyed hollowforms of other shapes as well. I think you have this thing down to a science.

The only colors you seem to be missing is Keeton's blue :D, and maybe a yellow one ..... what a striking collection!

Allen Neighbors
08-02-2010, 7:43 PM
Steve, I love this form. The way the wood has taken the color makes it look as if it was hand thrown, from clay, and fired. It's awesome... two thumbs up!

gary Zimmel
08-02-2010, 8:43 PM
I love the form and color of this one Steve.
Another beauty....