PDA

View Full Version : wavy sanding disks

Chris Fontana
08-01-2010, 7:08 PM
I have been using the New Wave 2" wavy disks and really like them. Where is the best source for these disks and is there a difference if they are gold, green, or blue? Do any of of the big box stores (Home Depot etc) carry these?

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 8:57 PM
I'm not familiar with those particular discs, but it seems that many of the SMC turners use the discs from Vince at vinceswoodnwonders.

David Christopher
08-01-2010, 9:29 PM
I have been using the New Wave 2" wavy disks and really like them. Where is the best source for these disks and is there a difference if they are gold, green, or blue? Do any of of the big box stores (Home Depot etc) carry these?

Chris, fellow creeker Tony Greenway was selling these, give him a PM....he's a good guy to deal with

Thomas Canfield
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Chris,

I have been using them for some time. Some are from Craft Supply and some from Klingpor's. I don't know about any real difference. My big question to go along with this is does anyone know of good source for the velcro pads for the drill. Some of the soft ones have not lasted anytime at all.

Rich Aldrich
08-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I just ordered some pads and stuff from Vinces. Though they are not wavey, he helped me on the pads not lasting.

Basically, his advice was slow down. You need the lathe turning as slow as possible. The finer the grit, the slower the speed. This goes for the drill (or whatever you use) as well. Too fast does not allow the grit to cut. It needs time to "dig in".

He also said light pressure is also important. It builds up heat and the glue in the velcro pads lets go.

I noticed the pressure issue on the last bowl I finished. The lighter pressure made the paper cut better. Now, I need to loose the speed.

Don Geiger
08-02-2010, 9:17 AM
I strongly recommend looking at products offered by The Sanding Glove at: www.thesandingglove.com (http://www.thesandingglove.com). The company was started by Bruce Hoover, who in his own right, is a really excellent turner. He has created an extensive product line that is designed almost entirely for woodturners needs. Bruce has about 8 or 10 booths at the National AAW and does many of the regional shows. I know he will be at the Texas SWAT later this month.

Check out the web site. Bruce is a great guy to do business with.

Don Geiger

Reed Gray
08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I tried a couple of the wave discs some years back. They work okay, but after trying Vince's discs, I won't try them again. I have tried every disc out there, except the 3M ceramic discs, and the ones from Vince work out to best deal for the money. They last as long or longer than any other disc I have tried, and price wise, they are pretty cheap.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
08-02-2010, 2:16 PM
I have not had good luck with my batch of wavys. THe glue melts off really fast. I've CA'd them on, but even then, they fall off. But I may have a bad batch. The first set was pretty good. I've also got some of Vince's discs since then. No problems yet.

Ryan Baker
08-02-2010, 8:42 PM
I really like the wavy discs. They last a really long time, and I have never had one fail. The trick with the wavy ones is that they can curve around a corner without the edge digging in and leaving a mark, so they are good for the inside of small bowls and such.