PDA

View Full Version : Search For The Best Respirator I Can Afford For Turning

Mike Turner
08-01-2010, 5:05 PM
I have been searching for the best respirator that I can afford that will be comfortable ,work well and hold up. I use a lathe and need something to capture the fine dust when sanding.I thought I had settled on the Trend but then I watch 3 you tube videos and the reviewer commented on the durability not being too good and there was a lot to be desired in its construction..Also he said it was tiresome on the neck after a while...I have some neck issues so that's not good...Another reviewer said his didnt hold up ...He had glued several places on his.. Also there was mention of the switch being in a bad place and maybe issues with the battery or chargers..I have heard someone on here say they used it...Is it holding up good? If you like it , but have a second choice what would it be?
I looked at the 3M Half Facepiece Respirator 7000 Series3M 7500 on Gemplers site and it appeared to be good ...I didnt like the Triton..It was just too much to have on your head...Thanks for any suggestions!
Mike

Barry Elder
08-01-2010, 5:21 PM
I use the 3M 6000 series, the difference being the cost and the exhale for the 7000 series blows down while on the 6000 series it blows straight out. You have to buy filters for them and the P100 series has the finest filters. I happened to buy mine from Boss Safety Products (no relationship, just a happy customer) as they had several accessories I needed and couldn't find at other suppliers.

philip labre
08-01-2010, 5:51 PM
I have the Trend and am quite satisfied so far. I'm a seasonal employee so I used it extensively this winter and VERY limited this summer. When I received it the headband was broken. I contacted the seller and Trend sent a new one immediately. I also have neck issues but the shield seems very well balanced and has not caused problems yet. I like the fact that it is a faceshield and respirator in one. I don't find the switch placement a problem and the only issue I had was with the optional hearing protectors, the pads came off so I reglued them. I only started turning this winter so I have limited experience with anything else but like it so far.

David Walser
08-01-2010, 6:04 PM
Mike,

This was discussed at the beginning of the year on this forum. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129153&highlight=respirator

It was also discussed about a year ago. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113996&highlight=respirator

Allow me to add, in both those threads, it was suggested that the Triton Powered Respirator was out of production. It's not. I think it is a far better consumer level solution than the Trend, but that's just my opinion. If you want the top of the line, I'd go with the 3M Breathe Easy 1. It's a little bit more money than the 3M Airstream, but the Breathe Easy 1 allows you to purchase filters that are good for fumes in addition to particulates. The Airstream is only good for particulates. That means you can use your Breathe Easy in your spray booth in addition to at your lathe. I think that flexibility is worth the extra cost. (But, I haven't bought it yet. I'm still happy with my Triton.) Another advantage of the Breathe Easy 1 over the Airstream is the Breathe Easy 1 puts the fan, fan motor, and filters on your belt. The Airstream has all those items in your helmet. That makes the Airstream's helmet heavier, which might make it more uncomfortable to wear for a full day at the lathe.

Here's a link: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-breathe-easy-1-system-assembly.html

Brendan Stemp
08-01-2010, 6:59 PM
It has taken me 25 years to buy the only respirator I thought worth buying (the 3M DM4) and it took this amount of time only because of the cost. All others on the market I wouldn't consider because of their weight. I did actually buy the Triton once but returned it quick smart; all that stuff you have to put over your head just didn't feel good. For a long time I have turned with a fan blowing from my left and a dust be gone mask and a room dust filter. I do wonder why some manufacturer has not produced a more price competitive dust mask. If Triton could redesign theirs and take off the helmet, ear muffs and massive apron then it would have to be cheaper and a whole lot better. The other thing worth considering is a good dust extraction system, with ducting so the noise from the motor can be isolated. Expensive, yes but it has multiple uses.

Jim Sebring
08-02-2010, 1:40 AM
I'm still usng the Racal Airmate 3 I bought at a woodworking show in 1992. 3M bought the line from Racal (a company in the U.K.) and brought it to the U.S. Mine is the immediate forerunner of the systems used by Richard Raffan and Bill Grumbine; I have a yellow helmet, their's are white

The Airmate uses a HEPA filter housed with the battery and fan in a belt pack. A hose runs from the belt pack to the back of the helmet. I went thru a couple of expensive ($100+) battery packs before I discovered they could be easily rebuilt. They contain three (3) C-cell size NiCads. I had one of my packs rebuilt last year by the folks at a Batteries Plus store for an all-up cost of about $32.

Since I'm allergic to dust and wear glasses, I can't imagine using any other respirator than the one I have.

Neil Strong
08-03-2010, 7:20 PM
My old (10yrs+) RACAL is falling apart. I have heard that other brands of the same vintage are doing the same. Not sure how you can work out if current models will do the same. Maybe they are using different plastics now that are not so susceptible to sunlight and solvents.

Having a beard and glasses, and being rigorous about always wearing an impact mask when turning and grinding, I have to use a helmet style unit.

I ended up making my own tethered version for work around the lathe and bandsaw, and also run a highly efficient cyclone when I'm working on dry wood and when sanding.