PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Recommendations

Tullie Templet
08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
My brother in law had a Kobalt upright air compressor that blew up on him and now is looking for a different name brand. He has about $300 or so to spend on a decent one for just general household use. SOmething around 30 gal. or so. Just wanting to get some reviews of ones that fit this category. Thanks !!!

Ken Garlock
08-01-2010, 1:52 PM
Take look at the Ingersoll Rand compressors at Northern Tool (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-compressors+electric-powered-air-compressors) . :)

Ingersoll Rand is all you need to know.:cool:

Mike Reinholtz
08-01-2010, 5:23 PM
I replaced my Husky screamer with a Ciasons, couldn't be happier and they are made in Santa Ana, CA. Much quieter and more than double the air of the 26 gallon oil less husky.

Lee Ludden
08-01-2010, 9:16 PM
I got mine from Eaton Compressor in Ohio.

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2010, 11:09 PM
My brother in law had a Kobalt upright air compressor that blew up on him and now is looking for a different name brand. He has about $300 or so to spend on a decent one for just general household use. SOmething around 30 gal. or so. Just wanting to get some reviews of ones that fit this category. Thanks !!!What blew up, the tank, compressor failed, etc? Last weekend, I picked up a 60 gal, DeVilbis and a tablesaw for $50. Original air pump had been replaced, but had a broken reed valve in new pump,. Less than 30 minutes it was running again. Three week ago, I was given a little HF pancake that had problems. HF had sent both check valve and pressure switch under warranty, but they had never been installed. Compressor cuts in at 90 PSI, and off at 125 PSI. Safety valve pops at 115, and seats at 80. Do you see a problem here? A new $8.00 safety valve rated for 135 PSI solved the problem.

Josiah Bartlett
08-02-2010, 7:53 PM
Don't overlook high quality used... I picked up a nice little Quincy model 210 off Craigslist for $200 a couple of years ago- its a 30 gallon horizontal unit rated for continuous industrial duty. It has both electrical and air operated controls, so you can run the motor full time and have the unloader regulate the pressure if you plan on it starting and stopping more than 6 times an hour. It will probably outlast me, and parts will be available forever. Its also very quiet.