PDA

View Full Version : !

bob svoboda
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I asked my new friend, Peter Hay, from Australia where my wife might get some Australian wood while visiting our daughter in Melbourne. Peter not only had an idea, but GAVE me the wood pictured, nicely wrapped and labeled. WOW--Thanks Peter!!

Left to Right

Tasmanian Huon Pine Burl - 3000 years old
Northern Terriory Beef Wood
Old Figured River Red Gum - over 30,000 years old (yes 30K!)
(10) Red Gum Burl (New South Wales Outback)
(3) Bimble Box Burl (NSW Outback)
(6)Coolibah Burl (NSW Outback)
(6) Brown Malee Burl (S Australia Border)

David E Keller
08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
That's awesome. You've gotten several of my favorites in there along with some stuff I've never turned... Looking forward to seeing some finished work.

Peter, good on you:D

Bob, you suck.:eek::D

John Keeton
08-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Very nice haul!! Creekers are first rate - regardless of which side of the globe from which they hail!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
That is incredible! Congratulations. Creekers are, indeed, special!

John Hart
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM

That would make me nervous to put steel to it.

Very cool Bob! :)

Allen Neighbors
08-01-2010, 4:04 PM
That would make me nervous to put steel to it.
Very cool Bob! :)
Kinda humbles one, doesn't it, John, to find something that was here that much longer than we are. And the river red gum? only 30K :D :)

I asked my new friend, Peter Hay, from Australia where my wife might get some Australian wood while visiting our daughter in Melbourne. Peter not only had an idea, but GAVE me the wood pictured, nicely wrapped and labeled. WOW--Thanks Peter!!
Left to Right
Northern Terriory Beef Wood
Old Figured River Red Gum - over 30,000 years old (yes 30K!)
(10) Red Gum Burl (New South Wales Outback)
(3) Bimble Box Burl (NSW Outback)
(6)Coolibah Burl (NSW Outback)
(6) Brown Malee Burl (S Australia Border)
There's even more reason for me to fulfill a lifelong dream, of going down under. What a place!! And what people!!!! Now, for the unanswered question: How'd she get it back? :D

Wally Dickerman
08-01-2010, 6:50 PM
I've been fortunate to have turned most of those woods. The one that really interests me is the Huon pine burl. Huon pine is a wonderful wood to turn. Even smells good. Very difficult to get these days. I've never seen a HP burl. Must be beautiful.

Wally

Nate Davey
08-01-2010, 6:55 PM
Great haul, and I like the path cleared in the sawdust to the door:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats on a great haul.

neil mackay
08-02-2010, 9:01 AM
Hmm, Huon pine burl is not very common, very good pick up. :)

Al, let me get the shed built first.....:D

bob svoboda
08-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Kinda humbles one, doesn't it, John, to find something that was here that much longer than we are. And the river red gum? only 30K :D :)

There's even more reason for me to fulfill a lifelong dream, of going down under. What a place!! And what people!!!! Now, for the unanswered question: How'd she get it back? :D

She was actually able to get it in her suitcase. You do need to go someday Allen. Australia is a wonderful, unique land and the people are amazing.

John-I'm with you, being a bit nervous to actually put steel to this wood.

bob svoboda
08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I've been fortunate to have turned most of those woods. The one that really interests me is the Huon pine burl. Huon pine is a wonderful wood to turn. Even smells good. Very difficult to get these days. I've never seen a HP burl. Must be beautiful.

Wally
Wally, it is beautiful indeed. While I'm a little hesitant to begin cutting it, I can't wait to see what it's like inside. Don't think I'll try to get it overly thin:rolleyes: I'll share when it's finished.

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Bob - congrats on all that amazing wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Peter - that was very generous of you!

Neil Strong
08-03-2010, 7:55 AM
There's even more reason for me to fulfill a lifelong dream, of going down under.

Just come with empty suitcases, Allen....:)