PDA

View Full Version : Cross-cutting problem

Jack Burgess
08-01-2010, 9:48 AM
I am up and running with my shop in garage. Making basic toys. Hope top grow to better things. Have new 10" Craftsman RAS and like it. I am familiar with RAS saws and I have calibrated it and aligned it both blade to table and the radial pull to the fence. All appears to be perfect. When I cut a piece of white pine 2x6 cross-cut I get a slight bevel at the bottom of the cut - not a slant cut but a slight bevel - any ideas on how I can correct and what it could be ?

Jack

Joe Chritz
08-01-2010, 9:50 AM
You mean bevel as in curved?

Assuming the head is running true and square that really only leaves blade flex unless I am missing something.

I get something similar with my SCMS when the thin kerf blade gets dull. Is the blade sharp?

Joe

Gordon Harner
08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Is your material supported at the end away from the blade? If the stock bounces after the cut is complete the bottom corner could contact the blade.

glenn bradley
08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Sounds like blade flex or material shift. If your material is clamped down so that it cannot rise, I would go with blade flex. Technique can get you as well. Pull the blade through the cut and then let to blade stop, remove your work and return the blade to the starting point. Do not pass the blade back through the cut once completed.

The same basic technique applies to CMS. Many folks learn the hard way to let the blade stop before raising the blade back up through the material. At best they get a kickback, at worst they send a small cutoff ricocheting off the saw sending it flying through a prized stained glass window and knocking the neighbor's prize cat off the fence.