PDA

View Full Version : No. 8 Walnut HF w/Finial (Revisited)

James Combs
07-31-2010, 9:13 PM
Some of you will recall my No. 8 Curly Maple HF with the "too tall" finial. I was looking for something to practice finials on today so I redid (read shortened and thinned) the finial for the HF. If you need a refresh here is the original thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141197

This photo shows the HF with the revised finial.

These two show side beside comparisons. As you can see the old finial is still in good shape. I will be finding something to put it on.
157254 157255

I definitely like the shorter one better. I appreciate you guys for pointing out the excessive size. I also think this one has a better onion shape to it.

John Keeton
07-31-2010, 9:38 PM
JD, much improved IMO.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2010, 9:39 PM
James I agree. I like it to.

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2010, 9:41 PM
James - your new finial was definitely worth the effort! The shorter height works a lot better and you improved the curve between the onion and top bead. It is amazing how much of a difference just a little thinner here or there can transform a turning!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Baxter Smith
07-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks good to me!

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree, definitely worth the effort. I find that every finial seams better than the one before. I guess they call that learning....
Nice piece.

Mark Hubl
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I am with the crowd. No 2 is a better piece. Nicer curve to the main "onion" section, better curve under it as well, and the top is a bit more petite. Finials are nothin but fun and a challenge to get them just right.

David E Keller
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Nicely done. The piece seems balanced now.

Michelle Rich
08-01-2010, 7:30 AM
your experiment turned out well..lookin' good

Matt Ranum
08-01-2010, 7:35 AM
Yup, very nice and fitting for the piece.

Allen Neighbors
08-01-2010, 9:41 AM
Excellent revision, JD! Keep going!!

James Combs
08-01-2010, 2:18 PM
Thanks everyone, if it weren't for the gracious but constructive criticisms it would still have the "too tall" version on it. Many thanks again.

James - your new finial was definitely worth the effort! The shorter height works a lot better and you improved the curve between the onion and top bead. It is amazing how much of a difference just a little thinner here or there can transform a turning!

Thanks Steve, I have to agree that it looks much better, however, I am disappointed in the color of the new finial. It is suppose to be from the same tree but it is so much darker then the vessel. I am guessing that since it has been a few months since I turned the vessel it has faded and yellowed somewhat which I believe is walnuts tendency, making it look lighter then a freshly turned piece.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what's next!
Perhaps something a bit larger to reuse the original finial on.;)

I am with the crowd. No 2 is a better piece. Nicer curve to the main "onion" section, better curve under it as well, and the top is a bit more petite. Finials are nothin but fun and a challenge to get them just right.

All good points that I wholeheartedly agree with, including the fun part.:D

Nicely done. The piece seems balanced now.

I believe that unbalanced (maybe not in that word) was most of the initial criticisms. I am glade that the revision corrected balance.

Excellent revision, JD! Keep going!!

"Keep going" has to be a retorical statement. With the power inherit within this vortex there is no way to keep from "Keep going":eek:

Wally Dickerman
08-01-2010, 7:02 PM
Too tall is just a matter of personal opinion. Cindy Drodzda is the "Queen of Finials". Check out her website. She does some very tall finials. It's a matter of getting the right balance.

You're doing just what you should be doing. Experiment....

Wally