PDA

View Full Version : what a crock!

Sean Hughto
07-31-2010, 8:52 PM
Time to share a recent effort. This was one of those that just developed on the lathe without any preconception about what I would make. One thing just led to another. I started out with this chunk of desert ironwood. It lacked some of the richness I've seen in other chunks, but it had some appeal, nevertheless. I went slightly hollowform on it, but the walls are not particularly thin - a fairly consistent 3/8ths or so. The bowl looked sort of like stoneware to me with its sort of creamy straw color, so I decided a warm brown cover might be the ticket to evoke the crockery sort of motif. Used a piece of mahogony so as to get that really warm red brown. The whole thing is about 7" across and 6" high. The bowl was just sanded and waxed. The mahogany has some friction polish on it so that it would have some gloss like the brown glaze or crocks. Comments, crits, and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for looking, Creekers!

charlie knighton
07-31-2010, 9:06 PM
nice done....

Paul Douglass
07-31-2010, 9:09 PM
Only way that could be any better would be if it was full of baked beans! I really like it.

Donny Lawson
07-31-2010, 9:26 PM
Realy nice grain pattern in that one. That's a keeper.
Donny

James Combs
07-31-2010, 9:45 PM
Only way that could be any better would be if it was full of baked beans! I really like it.

or some good chocolate cookies. Looks great gives me another idea for a turning shape. Thanks for posting.;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2010, 9:46 PM
That is a really nice piece. Would has some great grain.

John Keeton
07-31-2010, 9:55 PM
Sean, everything about this is nice!! Great idea (or result, I guess in absence of a plan!;)), really a comfortable form, I love the wood combo, and the detail on the lid is superb! Just very nice!

Baxter Smith
07-31-2010, 10:04 PM
It has a very nice looking shape Sean. It does remind me of a bean pot as well. No problem there as I love baked beans! Both pieces of wood are pretty and the top definitely has a glazed look but I am not sure I like it with the unglazed bottom. Or vice versa. This is one where I would be interested to see it a couple of different ways. Thanks for posting!

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure how I feel about that top bead, but its a very nice piece. I like that desert ironwood, I think it has plenty of character.

Mark Hubl
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Sean,

I think that is a really nice piece. Does look like a bean pot. Nice effort. And of course I like the photo collage!;)

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
That's some nice work! Really like the form and feel that the lid - color and detail work - make the piece! You should be happy with this one! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
I like the ironwood form and the detail on the lid. I keep trying to picture the lid out of a different wood, but I'm not sure what, if anything, would look any better than the mahogany.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Sean, I just love that pot, looks great, thanks for posting :-))

Sean Hughto
07-31-2010, 10:32 PM
First, thanks, all, for the encouragement and reactions.

David, funny you should mention different lids. As I said, this was sort of a design as you go kind of thing. First I decided to alter the top of the bowl form to accomodate a lid. Then I grabbed a cherry scrap and made a lid that essentially just completed the bowl form. It looked very sort of modern, but was not well designed to mate with the rim securely. On the next attempt I used some walnut. That worked okay, but the brown was not the right color to my eye - too cool - not enough reds or golds. This mahogany looks much better and is a pleasure as far as mating with the rim - nice to use. I'll try some other alternatives on the next one. I'm still learning every single time! Another two months and I'll have been turning a year!

Tom Sherman
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
A very nice piece Sean, the wood is excellent.

Karl Card
08-01-2010, 3:27 AM
As the others have already said, it really looks nice.

Now for my personal taste I am not one for matte finish and wonder how it would look if it were gloss. I do understand the look you were going after and I have to say you succeeded.

Michelle Rich
08-01-2010, 7:23 AM
I vote for cookie jar...looks appealing and makes me want to see if there are cookies inside

David Christopher
08-01-2010, 8:34 AM
very nice piece, and good color combination

Jim Underwood
08-01-2010, 9:10 AM
I tend to design as I go a lot. Sometimes it works:) and sometimes...:confused:

The general form is very pleasing, and the colors you've picked are warm and complimentary.

I am in agreement with Thom about the bead though. I think if you put that bead right at the transition it would work a little better. Or, if you made it a little smaller. The eye tends to hang where it is now. My opinion is that the better the lines flow, the better we like it.

Again, your general form is very smooth and flowing - no angular lines anywhere. Very nice improv piece!

Allen Neighbors
08-01-2010, 9:28 AM
Sean, if you've been turning only ten months, you've excelled! Lookout, JK! :D I love the combination of wood you've chosen, and the form, to me, is beautiful. It begs to be placed on a prominent counter, so people can raise the lid, and grab a cookie...or placed in the center of a table, with a pan of cornbread close by. Great display through your meticulous photography, too! All around, well done!

Harvey Ghesser
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice cookie jar, Sean! Skip the beans... Really nice!:D

Jason Clark2
08-01-2010, 3:26 PM
Very nice Sean. I like the lid. I'm not convinced that it's Desert Ironwood though. Pretty sure it's Mesquite.

Jason

Sean Hughto
08-01-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks agin, everyone!

Jason, I'm no desert ironwood expert - it's not native to Maryland, I don't think. I've turned about 4 pieces of it in my brief history as a turner so far. This was sold to me as desert ironwood, but I agree that it does not look much like the other pieces of the stuff I've turned.

I've not turned any mesquite. This stuff was dense, and took a pretty good polish with just sanding, though not as polished as the typical desert ironwood I've encountered. What can you tell me about mesquite? Is is stable? Do I need to be aware of any issues?

Jason Clark2
08-01-2010, 5:59 PM
It's extremely stable, very little movement but it is prone to cracking at the pith. If the pith is out I don't think you have anything to worry about. Ironwood and mesquite both have very distinct and very different scents, it's almost impossible to confuse the two after you've smelled them both. Ironwood smells almost like rotten meat, mesquite has an almost floral scent. Both bother my allergies somewhat but mesquite is worse.

Mesquite also has grain that's somewhat open, Ironwood is completely closed, one of the reasons it polishes up so nicely.

Jason

Brendan Stemp
08-01-2010, 6:47 PM
This looks absolutely spot on from where I'm sitting. Very nice shape and well finished. You should be very happy with this effort.

Jerry Marcantel
08-01-2010, 8:17 PM
Very nice Sean. I like the lid. I'm not convinced that it's Desert Ironwood though. Pretty sure it's Mesquite.

Jason

Jason, I'm glad you brought up that you don't think it's ironwood. When I first saw it, I too thought it's mesquite....Doesn't matter what species of wood it is, it's still gorgeous.

Sean, if you have any solid pieces of it left, toss it in water... If it sinks, it's ironwood. If it floats, it's probably mesquite....All the ironwood I've seen is very dark, with irridescent grain in a swirl pattern. I've never really seen any pith in the wood either, just cracks, even on live trees. Drought is the cause of that to all trees here... The dust and fumes are toxic. The Seri Indians of Mexico carve a lot of ironwood, and also use the scraps for cooking and heat... They also have respiratory problems attributed to ironwood...

Sean Hughto
08-01-2010, 8:27 PM
I think you guys are right. It's very likely mesquite as it has slightly open pores and just generally seems to match up with all you've said. I'll try the water test.

I wondered. I thought maybe there was a lot of variation in ironwood perhaps, or that there were related, but different species (like red and white oak or hard and soft maple etc.)

Thanks for clearing that up.

It definitely was labelled as ironwood by the seller. Luckily, it wasn't expensive in any case. Just out of curiousity, which is worth more, mesquite or desert ironwood?

Sean Hughto
08-01-2010, 8:36 PM
Okay, just did the test with a cut off.

IT FLOATS! So I guess that clinches it, it's mesquite.

Thanks again~!

Jerry Marcantel
08-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Sean, ironwood should be more expensive... Mesquite at the Tubac Sawmill in Tubac, Arizona is sold by the bdft ($7-9), mesquite burl by the pound ($5), and if they sell ironwood, it would be by the pound...Ironwood is protected here and also in California. Mexican Ironwood is sold here, but I've never looked into it because working it makes me sick....... About 3 months ago, I was given a stump of pretty good ironwood. It's hollow where the pith would be. It weighs about 100 pounds, and is destined to become a small two tiered table base. When I do get around to working it, I'm going to wear a good mask, because I just know it's gonna kill me........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Jason Clark2
08-02-2010, 2:30 AM
Small pieces of Ironwood go for $8-10/lb here in Phoenix. I get almost all of my Mesquite from downed trees so I'm not really sure on the price but it should be less than half of Ironwood.