PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Josh Bowman
07-31-2010, 5:50 PM
Is it just me or is Dogwood fun to turn? At my first local woodturners meeting I got several types of wood. This afternoon, I decided I needed to turn a little. So I chucked up a small piece of Dogwood. It seemed kind of hard to get the spur into and I had to stop several times to reseat it. But the wood turned very nice! I have never achieved a smoothness with any other wood and just tools.

Gary Conklin
07-31-2010, 6:22 PM
Turns like butter! Love it!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2010, 6:49 PM
Yep love making curlies with it.

Allen Neighbors
07-31-2010, 6:54 PM
Never had a good sized piece of it, but I've turned several smaller pieces. It's awesome to chase threads on!
Those are some nice shavings... :)

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2010, 6:57 PM
Dogwood is great to turn. Earlier this summer I missed out on a very old dogwood in the area that had died. The trunk was supposed to be 8-10" in diameter!

Don't know about the trees near you, but the ones in my yard are 3-4" in diameter and they're over 25 years old.

SWMBO doesn't like it when I start eyeing them and muttering...

charlie knighton
07-31-2010, 9:12 PM
cool, dogwood good

Thomas Canfield
07-31-2010, 9:17 PM
That Dogwood looks green. I have turned some that had dried and it is extremely hard, but finishes very nice. I'll have to look harder for some green wood but have several pieces of dried on hand.

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2010, 9:44 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Karl Card
08-01-2010, 2:33 PM
I also have never turned dogwood. Back home in tennesse we had quite a few for sure but none that I remember being large.

Another wood I love to turn is persimmon. More so because of the water color characteristic than the wood itself. But I remember back home in Tennessee I never saw a persimmon big enough to even get a coaster out of much less a bowl.

Sean Hughto
08-01-2010, 2:36 PM
Isn't persimmon the same as "american ebony?" I bought a chunk on eBay. It was a pleasure to turn. It was rather green, and the bowl ovaled a LOT in drying out. No checking though. It looks rather interesting. Anyway, my point is that you can get pieces large enough for bowls.