PDA

View Full Version : Moles in lawn? New control method

Joe Pelonio
07-31-2010, 3:46 PM
This seems to work, and costs nothing.

I came home at about 4pm and found a pile of dirt on the edge of the lawn right in front of the porch. I said a few words aloud, pushed it down with my foot and went in to change clothes and check the forum.

When I went back out a second pile of dirt/hole was 2' from the first :eek:
so now I was really annoyed. I pushed it down with my foot, then got my sharpest shovel, and sat on the porch steps and watched. Sure enough, within about 15 minutes the grass started to vibrate violently between the two previous mounds, the stopped. I very quietly stood up, and held the shovel in position. Next time the grass moved I jabbed violently over and
over. It's been nearly 24 hours and no sign of further activity.

(No, I'm not going to dig up the lawn to verify my results)

Steve knight
07-31-2010, 4:17 PM
or drop an m80 in the hole

John Coloccia
07-31-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm a fan of the Rodenator myself, though I wouldn't recommend using it on your front lawn.

John alder
07-31-2010, 4:32 PM
Put down grub killer to stop any offspring from doing the same

Keith Outten
07-31-2010, 5:42 PM
Get yourself one of the little yard windmills or whirligigs and install two small blocks of wood on the blades that will knock on the main shaft when it turns. You won't see a mole in a half acre guaranteed. Move the whirligig around your yard every couple of days to get the coverage you need until all of your moles are in your neighbors yard.

Here is the good part: You neighbor is going to want to buy one of the mole knockers and he won't be able to find one anywhere, thus he has to come to you and pay the price you specify.

Joe Pelonio
07-31-2010, 5:46 PM
Get yourself one of the little yard windmills or whirligigs and install two small blocks of wood on the blades that will knock on the main shaft when it turns. You won't see a mole in a half acre guaranteed. Move the whirligig around your yard every couple of days to get the coverage you need until all of your moles are in your neighbors yard.

Here is the good part: You neighbor is going to want to buy one of the mold knockers and he won't be able to find one anywhere, thus he has to come to you and pay the price you specify.
Ah, I can make one of those using the laser!

I'm hoping this guy was a loner, but will work on making a whirligig!

John Mark Lane
07-31-2010, 9:53 PM
I got myself a nice, high-end pellet rifle, with a scope. I can pick off critters with remarkable accuracy, from either my front porch or my back. Neighbors think I'm nutz. he he he. They're next.

Gary Max
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks John---I needed that

Craig D Peltier
08-01-2010, 2:00 PM
Theres these firecracker ( bigger) things you chuck in the hole to suck out all the oxygen. Worked good for me.

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2010, 2:51 PM
Theres these firecracker ( bigger) things you chuck in the hole to suck out all the oxygen. Worked good for me.
I saw those today at HD, and read the box. Also the "bait" that you pour in.
In case he has relatives, before I get my whirligig done, I'm using Master Gardener Ciscoe's recipe. We have a big pot of mint on the patio and that's the secret ingredient, so he says. I ground it up in the food processor, and boiled it in water 30 minutes. It's cooling now. Then you strain and dilute
into more water and pour it into any holes. Supposedly that makes them go away.

http://www.ciscoe.com/garden/topics/moles.html

Craig D Peltier
08-01-2010, 5:38 PM
I saw those today at HD, and read the box. Also the "bait" that you pour in.
In case he has relatives, before I get my whirligig done, I'm using Master Gardener Ciscoe's recipe. We have a big pot of mint on the patio and that's the secret ingredient, so he says. I ground it up in the food processor, and boiled it in water 30 minutes. It's cooling now. Then you strain and dilute
into more water and pour it into any holes. Supposedly that makes them go away.

http://www.ciscoe.com/garden/topics/moles.html

That crazy Cisco!

Walt Nicholson
08-01-2010, 6:09 PM
Harbor Freight has some solar powered "Mole Chasers" for $9,95, got some for a small garden to get rid of vols that were eating the vegetables amd making lots of holes. A friend said to make sure to put them in deep like the instructions said so put one in, turned it on and haven't seen sign of a critter since. I pushed in all the holes when I did it which usually results in more holes by the next morning but so far none. So far happy with the investment even if it wasn't as much fun as blowin' stuff up.

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2010, 9:54 PM
Harbor Freight has some solar powered "Mole Chasers" for $9,95
That's less than half of what they are at HD. I was just there today, for a new wheelbarrow wheel/tire ($5.99) and ended up spending another $40 or so on things I didn't really need!

curtis rosche
08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
get one of those pull behind rollers, weighs like 500 lbs,,, we have one for our tractor,, roll it once in awhile,, flatens the lawn, and pests

Gary Click
08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Best control I have found for mole, ground squirrels, etc. is dry ice. break up a pound or so and place the chunks in the holes and cover with dirt.

gary

Lee Schierer
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Here is the good part: You neighbor is going to want to buy one of the mole knockers and he won't be able to find one anywhere, thus he has to come to you and pay the price you specify.

I've always wondered if the whirligig idea actually worked. No pics, it didn't happen. We need plans or photos Kieth. I've got moles working my yard up like crazy since we no longer have an outside cat.