PDA

View Full Version : Prescott Arizona woodworking?

Craig D Peltier
07-31-2010, 1:47 PM
I have a friend moving there. Im looking for wood suppliers and the general cost of wood there. Also any hardware or WW store types there.
Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Jason White
07-31-2010, 1:58 PM
You'll likely have better luck looking in Flagstaff, which is pretty close to Prescott. Lots of native Ponderosa pine in those parts.

Jason

I have a friend moving there. Im looking for wood suppliers and the general cost of wood there. Also any hardware or WW store types there.
Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Gary Hodgin
07-31-2010, 3:12 PM
Woodcraft's store locator indicates stores in Chandler and Tucson. I have no idea how far they are away from Prescott though.

Erik Lindseth
07-31-2010, 4:28 PM
I used to live in Flagstaff and worked in Prescott for a summer. I have to imagine there is a local lumber yard there.

Chandler is about 1.5 hours away and Tucson is probably 3.5 hours away.

Not sure what you'll find in Flagstaff that you won't find in Prescott, maybe a big box store if they've moved in since I left or a bigger lumber yard.

Steve Costa
07-31-2010, 5:03 PM
Prescott is about 90 miles from Phoenix. Go to www.woodworkerwest.com (http://www.woodworkerwest.com) They provide a great list of wood sources. I recall there is a pretty good wood store in Phoenix, so look in the yellow pages. They previously advertised in Woodworker West mag but I cannot find their ad in this month's issue. There is also was an ad for a company called woodfinder.com that may help your friend find what he is looking for. There is also a Woodcraft & Rockler in Phoenix.

Woodworker West is focused on the western states provides some great info & stunning woodworking projects. Subscription rate is very reasonable.

Steve

Russell Tribby
07-31-2010, 6:27 PM
There are a few places in the valley that I'd recommend for wood. Check with Superior Hardwoods, American Hardwoods or Lumber Products. They all have similar pricing. The Woodcraft in the valley is not known for good customer service but the Rockler is usually staffed with pretty helpful people. There's also a wood store/woodworking store in Mesa called Timber Woodworking. They have a lot of machinery and a respectable supply of hardwood and ply.

Gene Howe
07-31-2010, 6:49 PM
There is a hardwood dealer in Flagstaff. Spellman Hardwoods. They also have a bigger yard in PHX. No supplies, only wood and some solid surface material. Mostly domestic hardwoods but they will order from their store in PHX for SOME exotics. Good stock of plywoods...again, mostly domestic. May have BB, not sure. They cater to the custom cabinet trade.

There is a Woodworkers Source store on I17 on the north side of PHX. They have a net presence. Take a fat wallet, though. Gorgeous woods, huge stock of exotics. Beautiful tools, tool. They'd be about an hour from Prescott.

I usually talk to a cabinet shop here in Snowflake, AZ and get what I need thrown on one of their weekly loads from Spellman in Flagstaff.

Craig McCormick
07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
The ace hardware just north of downtown is a shop fox dealer.
Prescott Is one of my all time favorite small towns.

Craig McCormick
07-31-2010, 11:21 PM
There are two home depots and a lowes also.

Azcraig

Craig D Peltier
08-01-2010, 1:56 PM
Thanks, I will pass on the helpful info.

Jim Becker
08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Craig, Prescott is a really nice area. There is some woodworking/woodturning that goes on at the college, too.