PDA

View Full Version : Several turnings and a multi-gloat

Thom Sturgill
07-31-2010, 1:41 PM
I haven't posted for awhile and will be out of town next weekend so I'm posting these for your consideration. First some pens - They are a Jr Gentelman's II in redwood burl (for pen exchange), a 'Clicker' in olive and an Americana in black and white ebony.

Next, I ordered a steady rest a month or so ago from fellow Creeker Jeff Nicol, So here's the proof of gloat and the piece I needed it for. This is still a work-in-progress, but if finished it may go to NC with me for my mom's 90th birthday! There will not be a foot, it will cut off about 1/4" below the bottom of the staves. This is my first attempt at a staved vessel and I consider it a prototype for some fiddleback maple that my mom passed on to me after dad died. Woods are maple and cherry.

Next is the top for the 'box'. The finial and the two ornaments were turned last month at a weekend course with Alan Leland at the John C Campbell Folk School in western NC.

John Keeton
07-31-2010, 5:07 PM
Thom, some nice pens, and those ornaments are very nice - particularly the one on the left.

The vase is really coming along, and I would say that the steady from Jeff was an absolute necessity for that one! Nice work. Something like that would be super nice in walnut and curly maple.;)

David E Keller
07-31-2010, 5:20 PM
Thom, that lidded vase is going to be beautiful when you get it finished. The pens and ornaments look great as well. Enjoy the trip to NC to see your mom, but be sure and take some photos of that staved piece when you're finished.

gary Zimmel
07-31-2010, 5:29 PM
Nice steady rest gloat and some fine turnings Thom.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2010, 6:51 PM
Congrats on the steady rest. I am waiting on mine. The ornaments, pens and lidded box looks great.

Baxter Smith
07-31-2010, 9:25 PM
Hope to see the lidded piece when finished. The pens and ornaments look good as well!

James Combs
07-31-2010, 9:40 PM
That vase is really going to be nice when it is finished. Great job on the pens and ornaments too.

Mark Hubl
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Thom,
Nice work and nice steady. That steady should come in handy. If that's your first staved project it looks like a winner for sure. Good job.

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Wow - you've been busy!

Pretty pens! Really like the Redwood Burl! Nice work on the ornaments as well!

Your staved vase is looking good so far! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Have fun on your trip! Hope your Mom has a great 90th birthday party!

Jeff Nicol
08-01-2010, 8:14 AM
Congrats on the steady rest. I am waiting on mine. The ornaments, pens and lidded box looks great.
Bernie, It is shipping tomorrow!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
08-01-2010, 8:16 AM
Thom, Everything looks real good! The staved piece is one of the things on my list of projects to do also. I bought a birdseye maple board and I am getting ready for it, just not sure which year in the future it will happen!

Nice steady rest,

Jeff