PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie with an expensive toy

James E Baker
07-31-2010, 1:29 PM
Hi there. I'm new to this forum (joined yesterday), relatively new to LASERs (my VLS4.60 was delivered at the beginning of October), but a long term computer and graphic software user (been playing with computers since 1978, and using CorelDRAW and PhotoShop since both were version 3 releases). I learn by doing.

I'm an Australian that moved to Newfoundland a bit over 2 years ago (yes, I know. I must be mad ... but there was this Canadian that I'd married).

My background is electronics, specifically installing and teaching ground based aviation equipment (stuff like RADARs, Control Towers, Navigational Aids, Instrument Landing Systems, communication equipment, etc, etc). I took an early retirement back in 2000 after 28 years in the industry.

At the moment I'm mostly learning what I can do with the LASER. I did a lot of glassware in the lead up to Christmas, but since then, any profit making production has been minimal.

Martin Boekers
07-31-2010, 1:40 PM
Welcome aboard!

You'll find this forum will be your best resource to lasering.

What I recommend is to start at the first post and read
them all. I did that over four years ago and it got me up and running faster than you can imagine.

You already have a leg up on most of the novices by having and
extensive background in graphics. You can't beat that!

Don't lurk in the background, but jump right in, I'm sure you have
graphics knowledge that will help many of us!

Marty

Viktor Voroncov
07-31-2010, 2:16 PM
Welcome, James,
If you have free time - download some sample files from here, send to laser, and when laser working - read, read, read :)
And remember- show room is 99% of success.

Hope you already have SMC disk?

Larry Bratton
07-31-2010, 3:11 PM
Welcome to the forum James.
I was in about the same boat 3 years ago. I had many years of Corel and Photoshop usage,CNC and rotary engraving experience, but the laser was a totally new experience. I actually came to this forum before I bought it and read as much as I could. I made a decision based on information from this forum. Since that time, it has proved to be an valuable source of information. I even made it my home page for my browser, so I don't miss much. I learn something new here practically every day. I hope you find the experience to be as good.

Mike Null
07-31-2010, 4:07 PM
Welcome James. We do allow Aussies! Jump right in.

James E Baker
07-31-2010, 4:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I've already done a fair bit of stuff in the 10 months that I have owned my LASER, but most of it has been glassware engraving using the rotary. You can see some of the items I've done at www dot fractalcoffee dot com (hope that meets with the forum's link posting rules).

The glassware production and sales have been sufficient to convince the Canada Revenue Agency that I'm a legitimate business and not just an expensive hobby so I can claim back all of the ~$3K5 sales tax that was added on to the VersaLASER purchase.

I'm currently working on some steampunk themed switch and outlet covers (Decora type plates at the moment, but toggle and vintage push button plates will be eventually added to the product line), the prototypes of which have generated a fair bit of interest on the Steampunk Canada forum.