PDA

View Full Version : business name help

Roddy Thibault
07-31-2010, 12:39 PM
im looking to start (all ready growwing too big for home) a bussiness in refinshing furniture and was thinking about registrating a business name and cant really think of too many names. the competition names are second edition, heritage. One name I thought of is Queen city furniture refinishing,or Queen ctiy refinishing.
but when i go to register a name I need a few,incase some are all rdy used.
any thoughts / ideals on this would be great

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
How 'bout "Refinish"? Or "Refinish!" Or "Thibault Refinishing".

Kevin Gregoire
07-31-2010, 1:08 PM
HERE (http://www.namecheap.com) is where i have my domain names registered, good prices and have been around for many years and
you can go to the box up top and type in any name you want and it will show if its taken or available and not
only available in .com but many other extensions also.

good luck

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2010, 1:19 PM
The OP asked for business names. Hard as it may be to believe, not all businesses have web sites, and so don't need domain names.

Kevin Gregoire
07-31-2010, 1:30 PM
my mistake, i seen the 'registering' part and went straight to thinking of domain stuff.

not knowing where queen city is just think about your surroundings to come up with
names such as blue river refinishing, brown lake refinishing, flat land refinishing, big
valley refinishing. stuff like that from icons in your area such as lakes, rivers, historical
sites, etc... doesnt always have to be the name of your town or city?
good luck!

John Mark Lane
07-31-2010, 1:51 PM
I help people with start-ups all the time as part of my professional practice. I always suggest the following:

1. Go to the United States Patent & Trademark Office (PTO) website, and check to see if there are any trademarks registered that sound or look like what you have in mind. If there are, you may run the risk of being sued for trademark infringement if you use the name. The PTO website is very user-friendly and has a ton of information about trademarks, very good stuff to know.

2. Go to you state's corporation database online and check the names you have in mind against any existing registrations. Obviously, you won't be able to create the entity at all if there's already a business using that name.

3. Do a domain search and see if anyone is using the domain, or if someone owns it and is sitting on it. Trademark rights can be created without an actual trademark registration by use of a name, and if someone has a website set up and operating using the name (or something much like it), you can run into trademark problems even if they haven't registered the mark.

If you can get clear of all those hurdles, you probably have a safe name to move forward with. It is advisable to register the name with the PTO, if it is the kind of name that can be registered (read up on it on the PTO website). And grab the domain, if you can.

Sorry, I realize I'm not offering name suggestions. That's not my thing. Just thought I'd throw this info out there.

Mark

Joe Pelonio
07-31-2010, 3:16 PM
The OP asked for business names. Hard as it may be to believe, not all businesses have web sites, and so don't need domain names.
On the other hand, if he does plan a website in the future, it might be good to check domain names Too, and register both so it's locked up.

The other problem is that if he comes up with a name, say Queen City Refinishing, people searching for him on the internet for the phone number might not find him if the searcher is bombarded with other Queen City businesses like Queen City Auto Sales.

Tony Bilello
07-31-2010, 4:01 PM
My business name is The Texas WoodWorks. I wanted a name that I could get a .com to match. It was kinda awkward answering the phone The Texas Woodworks. Recently, Texaswoodworks.com became available so I bought that domain name.Now I just answer the phone "TexasWoodWorks". both domain names lead to my sight. Anyway, "Woodworks" is a popular name and hard to find a domain name for it.

BTW, do you have any refinishing experience?

Neil Brooks
07-31-2010, 4:02 PM
From Start To Finish

Finish Line

New Again

That's all I got ... and I'm tired ;)

Chip Lindley
07-31-2010, 4:29 PM
>>>>>>>>>RFFR<<<<<<<<<<

Roddy'sFineFurnitureRefinishing

"refer your friends to RFFR"

Eiji Fuller
07-31-2010, 4:56 PM
How about???

You Scratch It I Fix It or YSIFI.

Totally Kidding :D:D:D

Dan Hintz
07-31-2010, 7:33 PM
When I was considering starting my business (the LED stuff), I knew the main contact point would be an e-cart... the website was a necessity. That meant finding a business name that matched up with a website that hadn't been called for.

I tried High-Tech Designs, I tried HiTech, and so one with no luck... ended up with Hi-TecDesigns.com being free, so that was the name of the business. Definitely not my first choice, but meh, whatever.